First hunt planning

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by dailordasailor, Feb 1, 2015.

1. dailordasailor

dailordasailor AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    My parents retired in Belton so I'm out there every few months. Would love to take a look at your mounts and hear some stories! Would only help make mine and my fiances desires to go to Africa more intense ;)

2. jbeach

jbeach AH Member

Video/Photo:
    South Carolina Low Country, near Charleston
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DU, NWTF, Palmetto Gun Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Dale, welcome to South Carolina and to the AH forum. You have already received a lot of good answers so I will not rehash any but will add a couple of things. In addition to some of the fine outfitters that are members of this site, another option you may look at is local auctions. I bought my first African hunt at a local SCWA auction, and got it at a great price. Sometimes these smaller auctions don't generate the prices for Africa hunts like the big ones do because a lot of folks are just looking at local stuff. I don't know what part of SC you are in, but SEWE, South East Wildlife Exposition , is at Charleston next weekend, the weekend of the 14th. SCWA and Lowcountry chapter of DU usually have a benefit/auction oyster roast that weekend. The outfitter that I hunted with and am going back with this year usually has a plains game hunt up for auction, and he is an exhibitor at the show. I can highly recommend him. If you are in the are or come down for the event let me know. Maybe we can get together for a drink and I can probably wet your appetite for Africa even more than it already is.

3. dailordasailor

Video/Photo:
    I live in north myrtle beach. Looking at schedule for that show and don't see any auction except for decoy. When would safari auctions be?

4. billc

billc AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
    I would tell you to be careful with any auction hunts. It can be a good way but can also end up costing you more. If you don't have a good plan you can get to basic of a package and till you add days and animals you will be paying more then booking with someone else.

Most packages are basic and never cover all you want. You will then find most outfitters plan on making there money on the extra day fees you may add which they will not discount and animal fees at top prices.

You can find some good ones just know what the hunt is really worth not what they say the value is and make sure you know what the other cost will be to get the hunt you want in the end

Velo Dog and jeff like this.

5. jbeach

jbeach AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Dale, the Ducks Unlimited Oyster Roast is on Friday night at 6PM, I think you can find tickets on the SEWE web site. The
    South Carolina Waterfowl Association Annual Duck Shuck Oyster Roast is on Saturday night at 6 PM. Both have auctions and I would think at least one African hunt would be offered. Let me know if you need some help finding things, etc. .
    [​IMG]

6. jbeach

jbeach AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Bill is right to be careful, always buyer beware, and I am not trying to undercut him, you need to investigate all options. However, I have dealt with the one I am recommending and am going back, so it takes some of the guess work out of it. I am sure Paw Print Safaris would be great and may even prove less expensive, I don't know. Just trying to let you know what worked for me.

7. billc

billc AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
    Jbeach don't worry about me not everything I say is meant to get business for paw print. I have seen the auction hunts go both ways and that's why I brought it up. Can work if you do your homework but the trend has been guys way over valuing what they say the hunt is worth. then you end up with high day fees and animals that cost way more then you may have paid else were.

8. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    Bill is right. Auctions can be a great deal, but just because you get one for "half price" doesn't mean you are getting a deal. I would argue that you really need to know what you are doing before buying a hunt, or anything else, on auction.

It is easy to overpay, and you won't necessarily know anything about the outfitter....

You can also get a really good deal. It just pays to be cautious!

9. jbeach

jbeach AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Bill, I agree with you. I was just letting him know what worked for me. There are good and bad, and I would not have even mentioned it if I had not had personal experience with it. You are correct and we are both just trying to help.

Royal27 likes this.

10. dailordasailor

Video/Photo:
    I'm not prepared to purchase anyhow, just thought would be good to see what they offer.

Jbeach, who did you use?

11. jbeach

jbeach AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Shi-aweila, Ken and Jo Ball. They are family owned and operated. There are a lot of good folks out there, just was letting you know of one good experience. There are many many options. Good luck.

12. Spear Safaris

Spear Safaris SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI life member, PHASA life member
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Benin, Burkina Faso, Mozambique, Tanzania, USA, Phillipines

13. Spear Safaris

Spear Safaris SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI life member, PHASA life member
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Benin, Burkina Faso, Mozambique, Tanzania, USA, Phillipines
    Hello Dale. We can assist you for a 7 days plains game hunt well within your budget. We have been members of PHASA and SCI for over 2 decades and pride ourselves in sustainable ethical hunting practices. Send us an email so that we can discuss your options. Have a great day.

Velo Dog likes this.

14. owenowen

owenowen AH Veteran

Hunted:
    South Africa, Mozambique, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia
    Hello Dale,

Feel free to private message me ill send you references and a quote ( your budget and weapons are fine ).

Velo Dog likes this.