First Dangerous Game Rifle - Struggling to decide

Oh Spike Spike Spike. Since the 416 Rigby and ole Sleepy Joe are about the same age, I'm sure he's a Rigby man. Lol!

:eek::eek::eek:....now the classic thunder gods will surely come and blow you out of your high sided bed....I will give you the benefit of the doubt because of the drugs affecting your limited thinking capabilities.....o_Oo_Oo_O

Trigger (pun) warning:
Biden(s) would certainly prefer a few more grains of powder. o_O
...must be Rigby fans:A Stirring:

Nope Rigby people realise that perfection doesn't need screwing around with ..it works exactly in this day as as it did way back then when first introduced.....only the strange people the other side of the ocean...that have a fetish for speed and want to hot rod perfectly good creations desire to do that sort of abomination.... :E Shrug: :X3:

Last edited:
Being 6’5” with gorilla arms, getting good stock fit has always been my challenge. I have been working on my woodworking as a result (I have yet to find a good synthetic stock)
I feel ya, bro. 38" sleeves and 38" inseam, I'm an inch taller than you. My LOP is right at 16.5

Back when I was loading the .416 Rigby I ran out of Cordite and could not find anymore. Anybody know where I can buy some?

:E Hmmm:...now me thinks you are taking the piss.....:eek:....so I might have to cut off your video supply....;)....that's going to get people wondering.....:E Rofl:

I think even Good Old Boy Roy saw all the potential in the 416 Rigby, Just put on a questionable belt, radius the shoulders , tighten the neck a bit and fill it to the brim. Voila, the 378. Great to hear that they never cut out your feistiness Toby458.

Now I am worried you might not fit in the cruiser... :eek: :E Big Grin:
My F150 super cab is the smallest vehicle I've owned in the last 20 years. I got the missus a Lincoln MKZ couple years ago. Mofo for me to get in and out of, but lots of room once I'm in it. And for a 6, it runs like a spotted ass ape.

My F150 super cab is the smallest vehicle I've owned in the last 20 years. I got the missus a Lincoln MKZ couple years ago. Mofo for me to get in and out of, but lots of room once I'm in it. And for a 6, it runs like a spotted ass ape.

Ok just had to go ask mr Google what one of those is :E Big Grin: ...and a spotted ass ape ... :E Shrug: :E Big Grin:

First welcome to AH. You will find a great number of enablers here to help you spend money. A few of us have been refereed to a "Bad Influences" .

Your are going through the same thoughts and planning that all of us have gone through, so welcome to the club and big bore are very addictive.

My first recommendation is the buy the boss a fair sized piece of shiny rock as you will be seeking to spend $$$ on more than one occasion.

If you are near southern AZ I would let you shoot from 9.3x62-500Jeff to get an idea of what you want. Being someone with monkey length arms I know the hassles of getting a good fitting stock. However on the big bore the proper fitting stock is MORE important in the recoil management than any other rifle or shot gun you own.

The smart plan would be to start with a 375 and then work you way up.

But if you are only going to select one I would go with a 416 Rigby. You can load 350gr for plains game and 400gr for DG. It has been getting the job done for over a century.

The 404 Jeffery is a wonderful round that is very steeped in history. and is my favorite round in the smaller big bores. You could hunt the world with a combo of 7x57, 9.3x62 and 404 Jeff.

The 45's and bigger are in the pure DG realm (Usable on plains game but will knock you around a bit more)

The 450/400 Ruger #1 listed in the classifieds would be a good option as you get in well below your price point and the shiny Rock could be purchased with the extra.

First welcome to AH. You will find a great number of enablers here to help you spend money. A few of us have been refereed to a "Bad Influences" .

Your are going through the same thoughts and planning that all of us have gone through, so welcome to the club and big bore are very addictive.

My first recommendation is the buy the boss a fair sized piece of shiny rock as you will be seeking to spend $$$ on more than one occasion.

If you are near southern AZ I would let you shoot from 9.3x62-500Jeff to get an idea of what you want. Being someone with monkey length arms I know the hassles of getting a good fitting stock. However on the big bore the proper fitting stock is MORE important in the recoil management than any other rifle or shot gun you own.

The smart plan would be to start with a 375 and then work you way up.

But if you are only going to select one I would go with a 416 Rigby. You can load 350gr for plains game and 400gr for DG. It has been getting the job done for over a century.

The 404 Jeffery is a wonderful round that is very steeped in history. and is my favorite round in the smaller big bores. You could hunt the world with a combo of 7x57, 9.3x62 and 404 Jeff.

The 45's and bigger are in the pure DG realm (Usable on plains game but will knock you around a bit more)

The 450/400 Ruger #1 listed in the classifieds would be a good option as you get in well below your price point and the shiny Rock could be purchased with the extra.
I saw that rifle, am planning my strategy for boss. I might try the rock trick, boss’ birthday is very soon.
I used to live in Vail, AZ and my parents still live at the base of the rincons. I might take you up on that offer if I am in town for elk season later this year.

I hate totally railroad the thread. But I'm always curious. How come no one ever suggests a 45-70 lever action for DG? I have never hunted African Dangerous game. But I would think if it works for grizzly bears in the Yukon. Why wouldn't it in Africa ?
there was an article in AMERICAN HUNTER about a cape buff hunt with a 45-70, it took 5 shots to kill the buffalo

here's a decent video about a hunt with a lever action

To beat a thoroughly beaten dead horse...

I am new here, but I have been combing this site for over a year. However, it has led to me being completely overwhelmed by the shear number of DG cartridges. So, I would like to ask for some more (in)direction.

My situation:
I am a ways out from any DG trips, and I want to get a DG caliber rifle to start practicing.
I currently shoot a 300wby and have shot a 50 BMG, but a 30# gun doesn’t really give me much of an apples to apples compare. However, I am pretty sturdy and don’t think recoil will be a big issue nor rifle weight.
Prior to being enlightened by the AH forum I only considered the 416 Rigby, but now I am torn between a 375, 416, 404, and 450/458. The 500 Jeff looks intense, but I really enjoyed the 50 BMG. (I am not looking at doubles currently).
I do think the 375 sounds versatile and like a lateral move in terms of recoil, but I don’t particularly like feeling under gunned.
I know that I want a dedicated DG rifle and to also hunt elephant at some point. Would my original choice (416 Rigby) be the best gateway dru...err I mean caliber? Or should I give something else a more serious look?

Respectfully,
BourbonTrail
I'll answer this, with what I've done. I'm not a full time DG hunter, so no .416 needed. I went with the .375 Ruger (would have taken H&H too) for the versatility. The .375 is all any visiting hunter needs for DG. Bullets can be had from 200 to 350 grains, and I've learned it works great even on Whitetail, and doesn't ruin meat. A friend of mine is a PH, and he helped me make my decision.

If you WANT a .416, then by all means, get it. But a .375 is all you NEED.

P.S. Unless you just want the bigger boomers, the 9.3x62 is legal for Buffalo and down in most provinces.

The gentleman that had my .416 built was about your size. It has a 15” length of pull. I am only 6’, but it shoulders and balances so nice for me. I have been working on getting some of my other rifles to do the same.
I am in the minority here as I prefer synthetic stocks for my working rifles. I don’t know who made the one on my Rigby. I put a Mcmillan on my .375 as I could order the length of pull I wanted.
I love a well stocked rifle in wood. They are beautiful. I prefer to hunt with a synthetic. That’s my choice.
Synthetic stocks remind me of the line from the original Planet of the apes movie" I'd love you but your so damned ugly". Never saw a good looking one. Performance good but carrying one feels like driving a Yugo.

I love my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery, but I think the CZ 550 action is a bit too massive for anything smaller than a 450 Rigby. I'd buy a Model 70 in 375 H&H. It won't kick much more than your 300 Weatherby and will kill anything on the planet. If you want something bigger, the CZ 550 is a good choice in 416 or 450 Rigby or 500 Jeffery.

Since you are a client hunter ( and a novice , I believe ) , I strongly believe that the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum shall be the most practical choice for you . It is also advantageous in terms of versatility , recoil management and the wide choice of factory loaded ammunition ( or bullets , if you reload ) . Ammunition ( and reloading components ) for the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is also comparatively more affordable than other large calibres .

In the context of a client hunter ( whose primary objective is to ensure that the first bullet is placed in a vital region ) , a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is perfectly adequate for any and all dangerous game ; from leopard to elephant ( assuming of course , that you select the appropriate choice of ammunition ) . Your professional hunter will get you in the proper position to ensure that you can take your first shot at a critical area of the dangerous game animal in question .

That said ; I personally use and prefer larger calibres for hunting dangerous game , because I am a Problem Animal Control officer and ( unlike client hunters ) we need to hunt dangerous game alone without having a professional hunter to back us up . My personal favorite happens to be the .458 Winchester Magnum , because I have been enjoying a significant amount of success with it over the last 44 years . Client hunters are not usually required to stop charging dangerous game , but professional hunters and Problem Animal Control officers are . The larger calibres are definitely more advantageous when body shots at charging dangerous game are required . Not only do they punch larger wound cavities into the vital organs of big game ( which accelerates blood loss , thereby causing the animal to hemorrhage quicker ) , but they also deliver a greater amount of shock to the central nervous system of an animal ( provided of course , that the velocity is adequate ) . In this context , one of the .450 bores ( employing a 500 grain bullet which is being propelled at a velocity of at least 2100 feet per second ) is quite difficult to surpass in my experience .

there was an article in AMERICAN HUNTER about a cape buff hunt with a 45-70, it took 5 shots to kill the buffalo

here's a decent video about a hunt with a lever action

If you watch near the end. All the bullet wounds are far north of the shoulder. Where I come from we call that no man's land. It's a chunk of meat where I've seen small deer not die from calibers like 300win mags etc.

I dunno if the data is correct. Sorry I don't mean to be the know it all. But I have loads in lever rifles using 4198 powder. Where I have 325 grain bullets flying at 2450-2550fps. Which is essentially the exact same as a 375 HH which I know tons of DG hunters use. Now I understand the bullet construction and how that will play a part. But there are good bullets for the 45-70. I can see maybe guys buying cowboy rounds etc would be light. But many reloaders have these flying down the pipe much faster. Again I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything. But I have yet to read any actual data on why it doesn't work. Just anecdotal evidence of people saying it's not enough. The American bison can grow to the exact same weight as cape Buffalo. I think everyone knows there history on how many bison were killed by the 45-70.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross