odonata
AH fanatic
I probably don't have any profound insights or extraordinary advice to give to anyone. I'm definitely not some kind of enlightened financial paragon. But over the years, I have managed to settle into some patterns that have worked well for me personally.
1. Pay yourself first. Before you spend money on bills or other necessities, put some tax-deferred money away in the stock market for your retirement years (e.g. 401k, 457b, etc.). Compounded interest is a wonderful thing. It will hurt at first but if you make it a habit, eventually you won't miss it.
2. I'm too poor to buy cheap. Buy once, cry once. I always try to buy quality that will last me for years. Preferably for the rest of my life. I try to never squander money by overspending. It's a balancing act that takes a bit of research & intuition. A simple way of putting this is I always try to prioritize value for my money. Buying quality used cars, motorcycles, rifles, computers, smart phones, etc. has saved me a lot of money.
3. Pay for everything with a money-back credit card. Pay the balance in full each month. Roll the money-back credits into bill payments. Being debt-free is a wonderful thing if you can do it.
4. KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid. Don't let your physical possessions overwhelm you so much that it takes up all your time & money maintaining the stuff you've acquired. Learn to simplify & minimize whenever you can. Prioritize acquiring experiences over acquiring things.
5. Skimping to save money is a finite endeavor. Working to make extra money can be more rewarding. There is a limit to how frugal you can be so don't expend excessive time & effort trying to save a trivial amount. If you have a skill that can be monetized (I'm a computer programmer that did freelance work in addition to my regular job), focus on making larger sums of cash in a side hustle if that option is available to you. It's a better usage of your time.
6. Be kind & generous. Having good karma produces unexpected benefits.
And it's post like this that make surfing these forums worth the effort every day! Thanks for the laugh.
1. Pay yourself first. Before you spend money on bills or other necessities, put some tax-deferred money away in the stock market for your retirement years (e.g. 401k, 457b, etc.). Compounded interest is a wonderful thing. It will hurt at first but if you make it a habit, eventually you won't miss it.
2. I'm too poor to buy cheap. Buy once, cry once. I always try to buy quality that will last me for years. Preferably for the rest of my life. I try to never squander money by overspending. It's a balancing act that takes a bit of research & intuition. A simple way of putting this is I always try to prioritize value for my money. Buying quality used cars, motorcycles, rifles, computers, smart phones, etc. has saved me a lot of money.
3. Pay for everything with a money-back credit card. Pay the balance in full each month. Roll the money-back credits into bill payments. Being debt-free is a wonderful thing if you can do it.
4. KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid. Don't let your physical possessions overwhelm you so much that it takes up all your time & money maintaining the stuff you've acquired. Learn to simplify & minimize whenever you can. Prioritize acquiring experiences over acquiring things.
5. Skimping to save money is a finite endeavor. Working to make extra money can be more rewarding. There is a limit to how frugal you can be so don't expend excessive time & effort trying to save a trivial amount. If you have a skill that can be monetized (I'm a computer programmer that did freelance work in addition to my regular job), focus on making larger sums of cash in a side hustle if that option is available to you. It's a better usage of your time.
6. Be kind & generous. Having good karma produces unexpected benefits.
My close PH friend told me about a client couple who saved money for their safari by neutering their own cat rather than going to the vet. I’m told it involved a pillow case.
And it's post like this that make surfing these forums worth the effort every day! Thanks for the laugh.
