Finally Time to Join, Have some questions on Shipping Trophies

Welcome to the AH community. Someone above gave wise counsel in that too often we get bogged down in safari planning with the minor details and miss the big picture. My advice is focus on the safari itself. Once back home, use that time after the safari to research the best way and broker to get your trophies home. I have never really worried about the how it gets back. In eight African safaris I have had only two capes that did not turn out as usable. I doubt that was from transit, but more related to the prep by the outfitters team, and both capes were easily replaced by different taxidermist without additional charges, which I would have been glad to pay for.
Mort,

While I can understand not trying to get stuck on trees and enjoy the forrest, I do think that it is important to have an idea of how my trophies are going to get back before I go. Especially since the world is seeing the biggest disruption of travel since WWII. This trip has been a long time in planning and the world is not what it once was.

Welcome to AH and the posting side @AfricaDreams! This forum has a wealth of information from some extremely knowledgeable folks, enjoy!

CW,

Thanks for the insight on both methods. May I ask what your costs were for ocean freight and arifrieght? What was the general time difference in getting shipments to the states? My biggest concern would be the skins sitting in a metal container for months on end.
Too many trips to recall, but comparing one ocean freight (of 9 or 10 trophies from Zim that went out in a SA port, including a giraffe!!!, it was like $2,300 (wooden crates). A more recent buffalo, eland, waterbuck and bushbuck, 1/2 the cargo, also from Zim, flown to SA and then on to America was $1,000 heavy cardboard box.) I received the ocean shipment in 6 mos and the air in 13! Hmmm, on a Namibian PG safari in-between, it was $2,400 for 7 animals. The ocean freight is def cheaper, and the total time of delivery is controlled by when your PH drops off, when the taxidermist releases the animals, timing of shipping, and how many country ports the shipment must clear customs in. It has literally been faster with ocean freight, although the trophies are at sea for much longer than in the air. A few hides require careful attention at the tannery before they slip (a giraffe is a good example-such thick hide to be shaved. There are a few others I don't recall.) I might consider air on them, but then again I've received the ocean freight sooner than the air at times because of reduced hands in the process...All Aboard??

Welcome to the family and the forum AfricaDreams! Nice to have you part of the forum. Enjoy the site!

Hello Fellow hunters!

Been a long time reader and figured that I should finally join since I have a hunt planned for 2021. This will be my first trip the the Dark Continent, and this site has been great for researching.

Current question: I know that COVID shutdowns have really caused issues with hunters getting trophies home. I have read multiple things about shipping via airfreight and some about ocean freight. What is the pros/cons of each? Does anyone know what the cost of ocean freight vs airfreight is right now?

Hope that I can get some info on this so that I can finalize plans.
You need an import agent. I use Trophy Shippers, AH Sponsor, and they find the best way to ship. Contrary to what you hear online there is no problem with shipping of trophies! The problems are getting the export paperwork as the world is still shutdown or using as an excuse to not work.
Philip

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH @AfricaDreams. Nice to have you as part of our community. Enjoy the forum, it's very addicting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!