AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD,CA) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
I took my two new guns to the range today, well one new one and one slightly used. I've been waiting on a Ruger American in .300 BLK for a while, last week one finally became available so I grabbed it. That was the new gun, the other one just kind of fell into my lap. I was at a gun auction a week ago looking to buy a bolt action .223, I ran into a friend of mine there who had a friend of his along, an older gentleman who asked me what I was looking for. When I told him he immediately asked if a Weatherby Vanguard would do, it turns out that he owned one and was looking to sell it. I went and looked at it a few days latter and we made a deal, it had a Bushnell 3 x 9 on it and he threw in three boxes of bullets. The one box had 6 empty shells in it, he told me that they were the only bullets that he ever shot out of it, and the gun looked like it. It looked like new. So today I took the Bushnell scope off of the Weatherby and replaced it with a 3 x 9 Leupold that I bought at auction a few weeks ago and put the Bushnell on my Ruger .300 BLK. I took them to the range, did a poor mans bore sighting job on them and started shooting. I shot the Weatherby first, I only shot three bullets cause I got a group just under 3/4" and about 2" over center. Then I shot the Ruger , it took 2 shots to get it where I wanted it and then I shot a three shot group that was just over 3/4" and right on top of the Weatherby's group. Both groups were with factory ammo, I don't know if I can improve on them with hand loads or not but I am going to try. I included some photos of the guns and the groups, I was pretty happy with my first trip to the range and can't wait for the weather to improve so I can spend a lot more time there.

HPIM0535.JPG
HPIM0534.JPG
HPIM0533.JPG
HPIM0541.JPG
HPIM0542.JPG
HPIM0543.JPG
HPIM0539.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you have some good rifles. Good job. Bruce

Jduckhunter that Ruger will be a sweet addition to you collection!

Thanks guys, I think that 300 with the suppressor on it is going to be just the ticket for hunting my woodlot behind my house. It is legal to hunt in there but the neighbors get worked up when you cut loose with a rifle that close to their houses. With this gun I doubt that they will even know that I'm shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross