Favorite Drink?

Regarding Rye, if you haven’t tried Templeton (from Iowa), I recommend it to those who enjoy a neat whiskey now and then.
Templeton is delicious, and I didn't know that they opened an Iowa distillery. I thought they were still using MGP. Good for them!

Sadly there aren't many distilleries in the US that make rye. Most ryes in the US are made in the same distillery in Lawrenceburg, IN.
 
Marula moonshine???? You have my attention

View attachment 440950
Reminds me of the witblits I picked up for a friend when I did a road trip after a hunt in the East Cape. He wanted Ungandan Waragi but Unganda isn't exactly close to South Africa. So he got Witblits. I got the whiskey and brandy I picked up from Boplaas.
Screenshot_20211211-055010_Chrome.jpg
 
Velo Dog, try Glen Grant some time, no peat, no smoke. The whiskys fit on a sort of taste matrix with light and fruity in the bottom left corner and heavy smoke and peat in the top right. Glen Grant is in the bottom left, Lagavulin is at the top right. Glenfiddich is around the middle. It is fascinating how a particular house manages to keep so consistent a flavour for their product.

Thanks Kevin,

I have not heard of Glen Grant.
Sounds like a good one.
If I can find a bottle here in Alaska, I will try a wee drop.
As for Glenfiddich, I like it, as with all Scotches, “on the rocks”.

Ya, those Scots sure do know how to brew proper ales and distill same into some very fine whiskeys.
(Must be their Viking roots, LoL).

Slanggavaar,
Velo Dragonship.
 
Regarding Rye, if you haven’t tried Templeton (from Iowa), I recommend it to those who enjoy a neat whiskey now and then.

I do like rye, thanks for the recommendation.
 
Templeton is delicious, and I didn't know that they opened an Iowa distillery. I thought they were still using MGP. Good for them!

Sadly there aren't many distilleries in the US that make rye. Most ryes in the US are made in the same distillery in Lawrenceburg, IN.

You got me wondering so, I jogged down to my basement and read the label.
And, you are correct on where Templeton Rye is distilled, it is Indiana.
However, it is bottled in Templeton Iowa.
The story of this excellent product is connected to the infamous Gangster, Alfonse Capone.

Evidently, he liked Templeton Rye Whiskey so much that he made the residents of that town an offer they couldn’t refuse.
They agreed to sell their product to only him and Templeton Rye evidently was a mainstay of Capone’s multi-million dollar bootlegging empire.

(Thank you mister Trivia ! Hahahaha…..ha).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And, you are correct on where Templeton Rye is distilled, it is Indiana.
However, it is bottled in Templeton Iowa.
Apparently it was one of the Indiana ryes, but Templeton built a new distillery in Iowa in 2018. So now it's actually made in Iowa. The bottles from the new IA plant will apparently hit shelves in 2022 for the first time!

This is another of my favorites. A craft distiller in Americus, GA. Check it out if you can find it:
 
Apparently it was one of the Indiana ryes, but Templeton built a new distillery in Iowa in 2018. So now it's actually made in Iowa. The bottles from the new IA plant will apparently hit shelves in 2022 for the first time!

This is another of my favorites. A craft distiller in Americus, GA. Check it out if you can find it:

Sounds like at least one industry has not been bankrupted by all this Covid hysteria.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
For fall and winter, a Jack Rose is good.
 
any good bourbon or scotch on ice with a splash of water is what i prefer.

i can tell you, velo dog's safari bar has a great selection of....just about anything!!!

my favorite place to swap tall tales and enjoy adult beverages.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,428
Messages
1,575,942
Members
170,481
Latest member
EmilieSacc
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top