Father & son first trip to africa

AHughes

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Ducks unlimited
I'm planning on taking my pops to africa next year , I have not booked anything but I'm pretty close to it, but first I'd like some help from those with more experience....

So a little background, im not rather wealthy but my ol man has dreamed of going and I've been bitten by the dream bug for years now too so before he gets too old and the world gets too upside down I'm going to make this happen

I'm not a trophy hunter at all , I hunt and put meat on the table for my family, I'm looking for a no frills , no pampered type hunt but experience and time with my father is priority, I'd love to take a few nice animals but if I didn't even shoot anything I'd be happy , just how I am
I love hog hunting here in fla and although I do love to hunt other species it truly is for food but hogs and ducks are my passion , pops ofcourse would be thrilled with a DG hunt but my budget won't allow it I'm sure so a plains game safari would be preferred for our first trip,

Tent or fly camp type hunt is what we'd like no lodge or poolside treatment needed and please dont take this as I'm trying to be cheap that's not it at all just not what we're after .... so any ph or hunter that has anybody to point me in the direction of an outfit or country I should start looking at I'd really appreciate the advice. Thank yall

Anthony

Well RSA is all about trophies. You can't bring the meat back. You will eat a bunch while there.

Ya , I understand not bringing the meat back but hopefully it will not be wasted and I'm sure the ph and staff will know how to distribute or feed some folks with the rest, mainly I'm trying make clear I'm not nor is pops concerned with how something scores on anyone's list , more about how much work it took or how many miles we walked! And what was seen along the way

Ya , I understand not bringing the meat back but hopefully it will not be wasted and I'm sure the ph and staff will know how to distribute or feed some folks with the rest, mainly I'm trying make clear I'm not nor is pops concerned with how something scores on anyone's list , more about how much work it took or how many miles we walked! And what was seen along the way
It will be a trip you will never forget. I went the first time with one Son and a second time with another. Too bad the third has no interest or I would go again!

What I found when looking for those not frills hunts out of tents and such is that they cost more than the lodge type of hunts,but there may be some that are cheaper.

I just did a 10 day 12 animal safari with Frontier Safaris just north of Port Elizabeth and can't recommend them any higher. The first day you may get a short hunt in and the last day you'll travel back to the airport so it is actually a 8 day hunt. They also offer a 7 day package.

Consider a package management hunt. As far as the meat, the camps options are to sell it, eat it or give it away. Guaranteed it won't be wasted.

The best countries for you to look into and consider would be Namibia or South Africa. They will be the cheapest destinations for you to go hunt. There are a ton of great outfitters in both countries to choose from.

I would recommend talking with Shaun Keeny of Shaun Keeny Safaris. They are based in the northwest province of SA along the Botswanan boarder. A ton of animals in the area, plenty of great plans game animals. They are an awesome outfit which I cannot say enough good things about them. I know Shaun has said that they can do a tent camp for people who are interested.

My dad took me on my first safari with them and I went back later and work for them as an intern for a summer. Shaun is a great guy, tell it like it is kind of person. I think they would be a great fit for you and your dad.

If you would like to know a little more about them you send me a message and I can let you know a little more about them, if you would like.

The best countries for you to look into and consider would be Namibia or South Africa. They will be the cheapest destinations for you to go hunt. There are a ton of great outfitters in both countries to choose from.

I would recommend talking with Shaun Keeny of Shaun Keeny Safaris. They are based in the northwest province of SA along the Botswanan boarder. A ton of animals in the area, plenty of great plans game animals. They are an awesome outfit which I cannot say enough good things about them. I know Shaun has said that they can do a tent camp for people who are interested.

My dad took me on my first safari with them and I went back later and work for them as an intern for a summer. Shaun is a great guy, tell it like it is kind of person. I think they would be a great fit for you and your dad.

If you would like to know a little more about them you send me a message and I can let you know a little more about them, if you would like.
I would totally agree with Tanner, I hunted with Sean last year and both my wife and I really enjoyed it.

I'm planning on taking my pops to africa next year , I have not booked anything but I'm pretty close to it, but first I'd like some help from those with more experience....

So a little background, im not rather wealthy but my ol man has dreamed of going and I've been bitten by the dream bug for years now too so before he gets too old and the world gets too upside down I'm going to make this happen

I'm not a trophy hunter at all , I hunt and put meat on the table for my family, I'm looking for a no frills , no pampered type hunt but experience and time with my father is priority, I'd love to take a few nice animals but if I didn't even shoot anything I'd be happy , just how I am
I love hog hunting here in fla and although I do love to hunt other species it truly is for food but hogs and ducks are my passion , pops ofcourse would be thrilled with a DG hunt but my budget won't allow it I'm sure so a plains game safari would be preferred for our first trip,

Tent or fly camp type hunt is what we'd like no lodge or poolside treatment needed and please dont take this as I'm trying to be cheap that's not it at all just not what we're after .... so any ph or hunter that has anybody to point me in the direction of an outfit or country I should start looking at I'd really appreciate the advice. Thank yall

Anthony
We offer a management package in the Eastern Cape, South Africa that may just be perfect for you and your father - 10 cull animals (eland, kudu, wildebeest, blesbok, impala, springbok and warthog). It’s a fun walk and stalk hunt.

That sounds great I'll be I touch and thank everyone for the replys this is the best forum of friends !

Pm me some prices or info if you can I'm very interested thank you!
We offer a management package in the Eastern Cape, South Africa that may just be perfect for you and your father - 10 cull animals (eland, kudu, wildebeest, blesbok, impala, springbok and warthog). It’s a fun walk and stalk hunt.

Don't worry about waste of meat! Anything smaller than an impala will be eaten before it hits the ground! I watched a large bull elephant disappear into a pile of large bones and a grease spot in the donga where it fell in 4 days, compliments of local villagers on foot from 5 miles away!

Just go. And if you have to take a reverse mortgage for a DG/PG combo hunt do it! Lot's of choices and countries. The biggest PIA is travel and sometimes hassle with firearms. Use a travel agent who does hunters to simplify your travel and minimize stress. Good luck!

I just got back from a father son trip with Khomas Highland Safari. I would highly recommend Phillip Hennings and his operation.

Oh, and don’t pay for airline tickets if your on a tight budget. Someday I hope to use a travel agent and buy flights. Today I use bonus travel reward points from the airlines.

We can offer you a package to split between the 2 of you if that suits you.

Sound goods, a lot of African hunts are cheaper than American elk hunts, and you can shoot multiple elk sized critters.

Already been posted, but I haven’t found much difference in cost between fly camp and most other types. Many tented camps will also have en-suite bathrooms/showers. If not, the tents are usually large with beds and some furniture and will be close to shared bathroom with shower. 99+% of camps/lodges will have fire pit and boma. You’ll find those evening socials around the fire are THE highlight of the safari. If an early riser, just notify the staff and they will start a small fire before sunup and make some coffee so you can experience the bush waking up. The whole Africa experience will be nothing like anything you’ve ever done. Go with patience and a smile and remember it’s Africa time when there.

Best way to save money is to not go bonkers shooting everything you see and minimize number of mounts. European skull mounts cause fewest problems and lowest cost for shipping. Or maybe settle on one or two trophies to mount and bring the rest home in photos.

Last edited:
Check out Thor Kirchner in Zambia- he runs a great operation on the Luangwa River in Zambia. We hunted with him in 2019 with my family and had a great time.

RSA is the best bang for the buck based on people's experiences and advertisements. Especially, seeing that there are a number of non-stop flights to Johannesburg from the USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinTill6

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.