Farquharson 450/400

Yeah I could use one in the safe ......
w24C1MI.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I debated with myself over that very rifle many times. It's just too pricey to me for the condition and the seller wont budge. But still.........

@Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy Very nice, I like the color case on the action.
Here is a couple pics of the 3 batterry set of #1's . top 7x57, middle 9.3x74, bottom 450/400. Have changed the 450/400 from a scope to the NECG peep sight.

ruger3batt.jpg
ruger3batt2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While I'd love to own a Westley Richards, Daniel Fraser, etc. Count me as a plus one to customized No.1. Mine is in 450/400 NE and quite the looker in my opinion. Pleasant to shoot and easy to carry all day in the bush. Here are some shots of her in her native environment.

View attachment 410131 View attachment 410132
Man I'm happy to see that you took the Ruger to Africa!
If I still owned it, it would have never made it over there. Still sort of wished I had kept it though...

Butch Searcy has built some real beauties on no.1s.....The 450-400-3" was always one of my favorite rifles I owned a number of them over the years., all double rifles . For any DG they worked just fine..
The prime reason for a Ruger no-1 custom or factory is your fine with a scope..A scope on a double is akin to child molestation and incest!! :)

I am expecting delivery on my Ruger No. 1 (25-'06) on Friday. It's been in the works for several years. Really nice rifle - I will post photos this coming weekend.

I am expecting delivery on my Ruger No. 1 (25-'06) on Friday. It's been in the works for several years. Really nice rifle - I will post photos this coming weekend.

Please do! :)

@Huvius I really enjoyed taking it over to hunt Africa. It's been around Texas now too. Got several rounds worked up that it prints reliably. I can see why you have some affection for it, it is becoming a favorite for me too.

Glad to bump into you here. Great place to plan your next adventure. Let me know if I can ever help your planning for Africa. I've got some experience and even more opinions.

I love Ruger No 1's but I also recently learned about Hagn (German/Canadian) gunmaker. He makes a single shot receiver that is sublime! I could probably be happy with single shot rifles for the rest of my life but I will have no peace until I have at least one double. The allure and romanticism is real!

By all means hold out for a nice double, you wont regret it. I was in your shoes years ago so learn from my mistakes.

By all means hold out for a nice double, you wont regret it. I was in your shoes years ago so learn from my mistakes.
I have much to learn about what constitutes a "nice" double within my budget. I am doing a lot of research on here and will be asking many questions as I go along.

Nice rifles! I have a stock Ruger No. 1 in .450-400 3” that I bought years ago just to have it; and more recently I bought an Army & Navy rebounding hammer 3 1/4” double that i may take after buffalo upon one of my future safaris. It’s nice and hefty. I call it “The Beast.”

1657143726440.jpeg

1657143761715.jpeg

Nice rifles! I have a stock Ruger No. 1 in .450-400 3” that I bought years ago just to have it; and more recently I bought an Army & Navy rebounding hammer 3 1/4” double that i may take after buffalo upon one of my future safaris. It’s nice and hefty. I call it “The Beast.”

View attachment 475114

View attachment 475115
My congrats Tom - you always have an ace in your pocket...

View attachment 475114

View attachment 475115

Wow. Congratulations Tom. That is a stunning rifle!

I have much to learn about what constitutes a "nice" double within my budget. I am doing a lot of research on here and will be asking many questions as I go along.
I'd take a note from Tom there with his hammer double.
"Nice" is a subjective term but if you are a single shot aficionado, I'd think that a double with hammers would be quite appealing - really two single shots in one package!
For my money, nothing compares with the quality and actual usability of a fine black powder express double rifle. My 450s and 500s can be used for any game from pigs to deer to elk to bear to moose here in N. America with the right loads. Plus, they are just incredible fun!

I'd take a note from Tom there with his hammer double.
"Nice" is a subjective term but if you are a single shot aficionado, I'd think that a double with hammers would be quite appealing - really two single shots in one package!
For my money, nothing compares with the quality and actual usability of a fine black powder express double rifle. My 450s and 500s can be used for any game from pigs to deer to elk to bear to moose here in N. America with the right loads. Plus, they are just incredible fun!
I love hammers on rifles... but how do you get that second shot off quickly in a cloud of blackpowder smoke?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross