Fantastic Article - A must read for all of you so called experts

"If you are shooting at 300 yards, your main challenge will be to maintain the transonic speed."

For a variety of reasons, this was my favorite line in that article.
Please enlighten me as to what transonic speed is. Never heard of it til now.

Please enlighten me as to what transonic speed is. Never heard of it til now.
You haven't heard of it because it's not a thing, at least not in shooting.

What I think it means in terms of flight is the speed just below supersonic, that is, just below about 1,125'/sec, verging on the supersonic. In aerodynamics, that's not a great place to be - it's inherently unstable apparently (I will let an engineer explain why).

Almost any rifle bullet will, of course, start out at a supersonic speed (hence that nice "crack" when you pull the trigger, which hurts your ears). As the bullet slows down, it will eventually become reach subsonic speed . . . so I suppose the person could have been using the word in the sense of the bullet transitioning from supersonic to subsonic . . . but I'm being very charitable here, because he said "maintain".

Regardless of what the word means, or how he used it, you couldn't maintain any bullet at a transonic speed (in the sense of just below supersonic), or any speed for that matter. A bullet will start slowing down as soon as it leaves the barrel, and nothing you can do will cause it to maintain any speed, unless you found some way to exert force on it as it was flying through the air. And that, I think, is the realm of fantasy video games.

On the other hand, I didn't do well in my high school physics class . . .

Turns out there's a reason I didn't do well in physics . . . I didn't listen. Apparently "transonic" is heavily used in ballistics . . .

Hopefully the gentleman (I mean that - he was nice enough to point out my mistake privately) will post the corruption here.

Transonic Ballistics Effects Explained by Bryan Litz
What happens when the bullet slows to transonic speed, i.e. when the bullet slows to about 1340 feet per second? It is getting close to the speed of sound, close to the sound barrier. That is a bad place to fly for anything. In particular, for bullets that are spin-stabilized, what the sound barrier does to a bullet (as it flies near Mach 1) is that it has a de-stabilizing effect. The center of pressure moves forward, and the over-turning moment on the bullet gets greater. You must then ask: “Is your bullet going to have enough gyroscopic stability to overcome the increasing dynamic instability that’s experienced at transonic speed?”
Some bullets do this better than others. Typically bullets that are shorter and have shallow boat-tail angles will track better through the transonic range. On the contrary, bullets that are longer… can experience a greater range of pitching and yawing in the transonic range that will depress their ballistic coefficients at that speed to greater or lesser extents depending on the exact conditions of the day. That makes it very hard to predict your trajectory for bullets like that through that speed range.
When you look at transonic effects on stability, you’re looking at reasons to maybe have a super-fast twist rate to stabilize your bullets, because you’re actually getting better performance — you’re getting less drag and more BC from your bullets if they are spinning with a more rigid axis through the transonic flight range because they’ll be experiencing less pitching and yawing in their flight.
To determine how bullets perform in the “transonic zone”, Bryan did a lot of testing with multiple barrels and various twist rates, comparing how bullets act at supersonic AND transonic velocities. Bryan looked at the effect of twist rates on the bullets’ Ballistic Coefficient (BC). His tests revealed how BC degrades in the transonic zone due to pitching and yawing. Bryan also studied how precision (group size) and muzzle velocity were affected by twist rates. You may be surprised by the results (which showed that precision did not suffer much with faster barrel twist rates). The results of this extensive research are found in Bryan’s book Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting.
Bryan notes: “A lot of gunpowder was burned to get these results and it’s all published in layman’s terms that are easy to understand”. If you’re interested in learning more about transonic bullet stability, you may want to pick up a copy of Bryan’s book.

For those interested in ballistics, Litz's Applied Ballistics book package is very informative and educational.

he wrote a long range rifle review.
The rifle model pictured is later described as unique because of its being attached to a Nightforce scope

75D8AFEF-DD4C-4170-9A46-BE165A0AD21E.png

And this, I now know how to turn my .223 into a real deer rifle.

Copied from:that very article!

The radical structure of these cases will surely increase the performance of my .223 if only I can see how they fit.

Thanks Bob for resurrecting this thread. .

I have shot Fallow deer with a .223 opportunistically. A varmint rifle and each one presented an easy shot was headshot so there was no concern of ethical clean kills.

I will look up the Ammo below to increase the Deer Hunting potential of my .223.

WINCHESTER SUPER-X AMMUNITION 223 SUPER SHORT​

Winchester Super-x Ammunition 223 Winchester Super Short Magnum

Caliber: 223 Winchester Super Short Magnum

Bullet Weight: 64 Grains

Design Features: Brass case type; pointed soft point bullet style; 3600 FPS muzzle velocity; 1841 foot pounds muzzle energy; Winchester power point bullet brand & model; brass case; boxer primer; non-lead & non-corrosive; reloaded; .233 ballistic coefficient; .182 sectional density.

Best Use: Deer Hunting, Target Shooting, & Practice/ Training

Description: If you are in search of ammo that has established repute for being hard-hitting, effective, and reliable, then you should settle for Winchester Super-X.

This ammo comprises of Winchester power point, pointed soft point bullets, which are incorporated with visible soft nose jacketed structure that delivers a muzzle speed of 3600 FPS with 1841 foot pounds muzzle energy.

The shots’ upset and uniform expansion for maximum energy on impact is attributed to the strategically positioned notches on the jacket mouth.

Close observation reveals that the case structure is profoundly different when compared to the traditional shells. However, the performance of these shots is similar to other ultra-velocities, such as .22-243, and .220 swift.

The Winchester Super-X is non-corrosive, boxer primer, and reloaded. With 64-grain projectiles, these bullets deliver optimum performance when loaded with the appropriate powder.

You should know that 64-grain projectiles deliver outstanding outcomes with medium slow burning powders. The 3600 FPS and 1841 foot pounds are absolutely safe to work with. The 223 Winchester Super Short Magnum shots are certainly made up of a radical structure.

As much as most people will prefer 62-grain ammunition over 64-grain, you should never doubt the impact these projectiles can deliver.

Attachments

• Winchester-Super-x-Ammunition-223-Winchester-Super-Short-Magnum.jpg
    Winchester-Super-x-Ammunition-223-Winchester-Super-Short-Magnum.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 51
And this, I now know how to turn my .223 into a real deer rifle.

Copied from:that very article!

The radical structure of these cases will surely increase the performance of my .223 if only I can see how they fit.

Thanks Bob for resurrecting this thread. .

I have shot Fallow deer with a .223 opportunistically. A varmint rifle and each one presented an easy shot was headshot so there was no concern of ethical clean kills.

I will look up the Ammo below to increase the Deer Hunting potential of my .223.

WINCHESTER SUPER-X AMMUNITION 223 SUPER SHORT​

Winchester Super-x Ammunition 223 Winchester Super Short Magnum

Caliber: 223 Winchester Super Short Magnum

Bullet Weight: 64 Grains

Design Features: Brass case type; pointed soft point bullet style; 3600 FPS muzzle velocity; 1841 foot pounds muzzle energy; Winchester power point bullet brand & model; brass case; boxer primer; non-lead & non-corrosive; reloaded; .233 ballistic coefficient; .182 sectional density.

Best Use: Deer Hunting, Target Shooting, & Practice/ Training

Description: If you are in search of ammo that has established repute for being hard-hitting, effective, and reliable, then you should settle for Winchester Super-X.

This ammo comprises of Winchester power point, pointed soft point bullets, which are incorporated with visible soft nose jacketed structure that delivers a muzzle speed of 3600 FPS with 1841 foot pounds muzzle energy.

The shots’ upset and uniform expansion for maximum energy on impact is attributed to the strategically positioned notches on the jacket mouth.

Close observation reveals that the case structure is profoundly different when compared to the traditional shells. However, the performance of these shots is similar to other ultra-velocities, such as .22-243, and .220 swift.

The Winchester Super-X is non-corrosive, boxer primer, and reloaded. With 64-grain projectiles, these bullets deliver optimum performance when loaded with the appropriate powder.

You should know that 64-grain projectiles deliver outstanding outcomes with medium slow burning powders. The 3600 FPS and 1841 foot pounds are absolutely safe to work with. The 223 Winchester Super Short Magnum shots are certainly made up of a radical structure.

As much as most people will prefer 62-grain ammunition over 64-grain, you should never doubt the impact these projectiles can deliver.
@CBH
Those EXTRA 2 GRAINS must make a hell of a difference Chris. Ah stuff it I'll just Whelenise them should do in a pinch if I can't get any of those magic 64 grainers.
Bob

Geez, where do you even start?
For once I’m at a loss for words. How stupid.

Sure it’s doable (I used it waaaay back when it was the only rifle I had) but why would anyone ever recommend .223 as THE deer rifle over anything else.

Don’t drink the koolaid!!

@CBH
Those EXTRA 2 GRAINS must make a hell of a difference Chris. Ah stuff it I'll just Whelenise them should do in a pinch if I can't get any of those magic 64 grainers.
Bob
Nobody mentioned the WSSM reference.
They don’t fit my .223’s

'Didn't read the article. Read the funny comments. Perhaps yet another POS article written to sell black plastic and metal to the masses? I'm not even a fan of using the .243/6 mm for deer, as the average deer hunter knows very little about the varying SD (explode-on-contact varmint 87 gr or penetrate marginally 105 gr) of the varmint cartridge bullets. I've recovered several deer shot by others using .223-.244 varmint bullets over the years-typically 1/2 mi away from the shot, lying in a pool of blood from a laceration which caused death overnight by bleeding out... .25-.26-.27-.28-.30 these comprise the deer sweet-spot! (In a manually operated rifle-not a semi straight outta VN.) lol FINE for varmints!!!

This block head says that a 223 Bullet is lighter than air??? What is it a helium round?

it probably is lighter than air (in Pittsburgh or Birmingham, c. 1870!) ;) lol Clearly he had a word-count limit on the article, and wasn't able to fully explain. lol

does he talk about bullet RPM as well? that would sell to the motorheads!!! lol "Mine Revs up to 11!"

Wow. I guess anyone can print anything!
He misses the one I am using successfully on deer culling here at the ranch. The 70gr 5.56 Barnes has been great for me in Africa on small game and deadly on well placed shots from a blind on deer here. I took a big Dybowsky Skia doe this summer with one shot through the lungs. She went about 25 yards.
No, as you can imagine, I do not recommend a .223 for most people and situations for deer. I’ve found one that works for me for shooting does etc where there is no pressure to grab that big trophy buck you’ve been searching for.
Philip

“A 308 caliber will develop a needle-like wound; the same cannot be said of a 223.“.

So am I to believe that smaller bullets do more damage? I cannot believe how wrong I have been all of these years. Thank you Shawn Harrison for showing me the error of my ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross