Fallow Deer in Limpopo

The biggest stags may be 7000 euros but most are considerably less. The third fallow buck photo you posted is really nice, but most South African bucks appear to be modest trophies. $800 is still a very good price but most fallow deer are in the $1500-$4000 range depending on the country in Europe.
Unfortunately, I want the one for 7000. Some of them look like Moose. :eek:

So you will rather hunt a Sambar in Texas than in Australia? Or anything else for that matter since everything there is introduced.

The Fallow have been here for more than 200 years. That's more native to this country than I am.
Fallow deer were gifted to George Washington in 1786 by France…. Little bit over 200 years.

Fallow deer were gifted to George Washington in 1786 by France…. Little bit over 200 years.
Not quite sure that I follow the point that you are trying to make. The point that I am trying to make is that these animals have been here so long, that if they can be pursued in fair chase or free range areas, why shouldn't we enjoy them.

We are looking at heading back to South Africa in late May 2024. Wondering about fallow deer, but not sure of the timing for quality of game. I have read that the rut stars in March, but we would be months later.

I don’t want to waste days looking for a quality fallow if they will be broken up or if they will not be in prime condition.

Is looking to add one of these to my bucket list something to consider?

Deuce
You won't find any fallow deer hunting in Limpopo.
Try Eastern Cape if you specifically want to hunt them in SA.

Yes sir. Hungary is probably the mecca of Fallow in the world, and even a dream of mine, but I think I saw that their price is around EURO7000. Big difference between that and $800.
You can hunt Fallow deer in Europe much cheaper than that.

If I was going to hunt an introduced fallow deer I would hunt it in Texas with Gizmo and the upside would be getting to keep some fine tasting venison.
I wouldn't.

One, it's not fair chase.
Two, it's way more expensive than hunting them in their native ranges in Europe.
Three, their meat is nothing to write home about.

It's no different than shooting a zebra in TX.

Not quite sure that I follow the point that you are trying to make. The point that I am trying to make is that these animals have been here so long, that if they can be pursued in fair chase or free range areas, why shouldn't we enjoy them.
No reason to not hunt them where you can.

They’ve been in the US for some period of time.
There are no free ranging populations in Virginia. George Washington didn’t go to Texas. The situation in eastern cape is very different from Texas. They are a much more recent introduction to Texas and still primarily only high fence. I’d hunt one as a secondary animal in eastern cape, but there are few hunts for fallow deer in Texas that would interest me. Axis deer in Texas however might be more comparable to fallow deer in South Africa.

So you will rather hunt a Sambar in Texas than in Australia? Or anything else for that matter since everything there is introduced.

The Fallow have been here for more than 200 years. That's more native to this country than I am.
My point was if I’m not going to Europe to hunt a fallow deer where they are native it would be a place that I could take the meat home. At one time we had a wild population of fallow here in Alabama and I saw a few but that was before we had a doe season and I never saw a buck. A friend of mine had a wonderful fallow hunt in the eastern cape and I was fortunate to tag along on it. But lie I said if I’m going to hunt one it will be a place that I can take the meat. Too many other animals in Africa that I would pursue long before I would chase a fallow.

There are no free ranging populations in Virginia. George Washington didn’t go to Texas. The situation in eastern cape is very different from Texas. They are a much more recent introduction to Texas and still primarily only high fence. I’d hunt one as a secondary animal in eastern cape, but there are few hunts for fallow deer in Texas that would interest me. Axis deer in Texas however might be more comparable to fallow deer in South Africa.
%100 and free range Aoudad in TX.

The Fallow Deer is not native to Europe, it was also introduced, but it was a long time ago. Its real area of origin seems to be Anatolia and the Near East. In southern Europe, the Phoenicians must have introduced it and latter the Romans in our countries north of the Alps.

In my countries in East France and West Germany we have areas with small Fallow Deer populations that are also hunted, but I have no contact to such hunts. I am not particularly interested either.

Thanks for all the helpful information and feedback.

It would never be a primary animal, but was wondering on timing or rut and shedding, which KMG provided good info and great examples of animals. I was wondering if it was a possible add-on to my hunt as my daughter is accompanying me and would love to take one.

I know there are places to hunt them in the US, but the price is ridiculous and hunting format does not match my style of pursuing game.

I have yet to harvest an elk and could possibly hunt one of those locations here in the USA for as much or less than a couple years of DIY hunts, but it would not bring the same sense of accomplishment for me.

I agree with others take on it.

The animals have been there for several hundred years and are as wild or more so than our feral Hogs, Barberry Sheep, Nilgai, Axis, sheep that inhabit Texas, Hawaii and various other states in the USA, so if the opportunity arises, why not pursue them while we are there.

I wouldn't.

One, it's not fair chase.
Two, it's way more expensive than hunting them in their native ranges in Europe.
Three, their meat is nothing to write home about.

It's no different than shooting a zebra in TX.
I said IF I was to hunt a fallow, I have no plans and little desire to but I’ve eaten female fallow meat and it was on par with our whitetail, no clue how a big stag would taste. I have hunted a 17,000 acre ranch in south Texas for Javalina and turkey and the exotics they had were pretty spooky.

I said IF I was to hunt a fallow, I have no plans and little desire to but I’ve eaten female fallow meat and it was on par with our whitetail, no clue how a big stag would taste. I have hunted a 17,000 acre ranch in south Texas for Javalina and turkey and the exotics they had were pretty spooky.
Like most big old bulls and bucks they can be a little tough but still delicious.

Yes sir. Hungary is probably the mecca of Fallow in the world, and even a dream of mine, but I think I saw that their price is around EURO7000. Big difference between that and $800.
$7K? Must be in Chinese yuan? If not, I'll pass.

Sambar? Oz? Any Sambar in Africa?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?