Elk at 688 yards with a 243

I think the only reason this video saw the light of day has to do with the fact he killed the elk. I wonder how many shots were fired on other videos that had a different result. As stated above, elk ( and damn near everything else) deserve better. Just my two cents.
I thought HE was a she? Maybe transgender? LOL

We can’t tell exactly where the bullet hit but most would guess it’s a spine shot. What are the odds that is where she was aiming? At 700 yards from a bench I would shoot 7” on a good day (assuming there was no wind) so spine shot is out of the question. 2” lower and impact is most likely in the void with little damage or worst case just wounded enough to run off and die. Then there’s the minimum energy required for proper expansion and penetration. I’ve never hunted with a VLD so can’t say how they perform at low velocity
Spine, neck or head shot. ANY body shot at that distance with the remaining velocity of a .243 and MANY similar cartridges and you have a wounded elk and good luck getting close to it for another shot. I personally wouldn't even shoot at a deer or pronghorn at that distance. I once chased a "three legged" pronghorn for miles after another hunter wounded it and we never got close enough for another shot before it went onto property we didn't have permission to hunt. A tragic loss of a magnificent animal. I hated that.

I wouldnt take a 700 yard shot on any living game animal. Its just too dang far.
An accomplished long distance marksman like @Inline6 or @Hogpatrol and SOME other members here, can make those shots on GAME (not targets) with an APPROPRIATE cartridge on a regular basis. I, and probably MOST of us here and worldwide, can't and shouldn't even try. The sad thing is, many not so accomplished marksmen everywhere, do try and wound a bunch of game, especially with inappropriate cartridges for the game they're hunting.

Or .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUMS! LOL I know sacrilege with this group, but if recoil is an issue, put a brake on it and your .300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM's recoil will FEEL like a .243. Just use earplugs. If not, use a .270 WINCHESTER or a .308 WINCHESTER?
Think Weatherby........ :A Thumbs Up:

Think Weatherby........ :A Thumbs Up:
Ah yes, the legendary .340 WEATHERBY MAGNUM! You Jim, are my hero, after killing everything on our PG hunt with that cartridge. Your shoulder showed me that. LOL Seriously though, what a fine cartridge. Only second to the magnificent .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM! LOL

Looking at the rest of the videos on their YouTube channel, it's pretty clear that they are trying to show off their long range hunting bravado. Distance for distance's sake, to get more views and accolades. Definitely not the type of person i want in my hunting camp.

Well, I watched the video and was going to come on here and call that out for the chickenshit stunt that it was. Using live animals for target practice, essentially. Looks like you guys have it covered though. Shoot one at 8 yds, then repost. Much more impressive.

Well, I watched the video and was going to come on here and call that out for the chickenshit stunt that it was. Using live animals for target practice, essentially. Looks like you guys have it covered though. Shoot one at 8 yds, then repost. Much more impressive.
How about 25-35yds from your knees? I've shot two trotting cow elk on different hunts that surprised me from that position with my Browning .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM. Anyone can make that shot, but the impressive part is I didn't have to chase any wounded elk. LOL

My 2¢ At that distance, A 6.5 or larger caliber magnum of some stripe would have been more appropriate. Posting that stuff on the web, IMHO, isn't smart.

While I am not a proponent of long range hunting, that being said I have killed plenty at further than I care to share. All humane kills on animals that were completely at ease. My longest shot I happened to be shooting at the exact spot the deer was standing the day before. I had my son take a 564 yard shot on a nice mule deer that we couldn’t get any closer to, I dialed the scope for him and he shot off of our packs after a 3hour wait for the buck to stand up. I watched him shoot a buck the next year offhand at a 260 yards. I was impressed with that shot more so than the one the year before. It was made with a model 99 savage in 308.
I have been much prouder of the animals that I have killed at 25 yards in the timber than any long range kill I’ve made on game. But that being said the kid made the shot and the cow is in the freezer. Right wrong or indifferent it is a done deal, congratulations to the shooters and thank god that the shot was good. My point being, I’ve done it, although I had no doubt in my mind that I could make the shot I’ve made a thousand times, those that live in a glass house, should have sex in the basement.

Or .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUMS! LOL I know sacrilege with this group, but if recoil is an issue, put a brake on it and your .300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM's recoil will FEEL like a .243. Just use earplugs. If not, use a .270 WINCHESTER or a .308 WINCHESTER?
I am agreement, my Business Rifle is a .338. But a lot of peoples whine about them, and for shooting over 400 yds, I think I'd druther have a .300, or a 7 mag. That 175 gr 7mm bullet has a wicked BC. Of course, so does a 220gr .300...

I am agreement, my Business Rifle is a .338. But a lot of peoples whine about them, and for shooting over 400 yds, I think I'd druther have a .300, or a 7 mag. That 175 gr 7mm bullet has a wicked BC. Of course, so does a 220gr .300...
I agree. Hard to beat a .300WM at longer distances. 7mmRM has no flies on it either. The longest shot on elk for me was about 150yds with my .338WM using a tree for a rest. I took one pronghorn at about 250yds with my .270 Winchester sitting with a 4x scope. My longest shot ever with a rifle was about 300-325yds off sticks on a blesbok in Africa with my scope on 10x. I've never owned a scope with turrets. It's all been dead reckoning after sighting my scope(s) in at 2.5-3.0" high at 100yds. Usually good enough to 300yds. I'm not changing things now. I'll just practice more out to 300yds. and TRY and keep my shots under that distance. I marvel at the TRAINED marksmen who can shoot game at extreme ranges. I wish I had tried that when I was younger but it wasn't really a common practice for big game back in the day.

Shouldn't be common practice now. If you have to shoot 600 yds, you need to work harder.

Some of it is about opportunities or the lack of.

I have witnessed not hear say people shoot deer is the ass with a shotgun while it was running at a distance of 15 yards on multiple occasions. Growing up running dogs deer did not stand still. I have witnessed people completely missing deer at 50 yards with open sights and scoped rifles. Have also witnessed gut shot animals at that range too. Inside of 100 yards is not a guarantee if buck fever sets in on some people. My line on thinking is if you are not confident, don't pull the trigger no matter the distance. A good shooter will know their limitations and most of the time it is not the distance, it is the conditions. That might be wind, lighting, position they are afforded, ect. The goal is a fast painless death. Like anything else you do it enough, something will go wrong. No matter what, odds are odds.

I agree. Hard to beat a .300WM at longer distances. 7mmRM has no flies on it either. The longest shot on elk for me was about 150yds with my .338WM using a tree for a rest. I took one pronghorn at about 250yds with my .270 Winchester sitting with a 4x scope. My longest shot ever with a rifle was about 300-325yds off sticks on a blesbok in Africa with my scope on 10x. I've never owned a scope with turrets. It's all been dead reckoning after sighting my scope(s) in at 2.5-3.0" high at 100yds. Usually good enough to 300yds. I'm not changing things now. I'll just practice more out to 300yds. and TRY and keep my shots under that distance. I marvel at the TRAINED marksmen who can shoot game at extreme ranges. I wish I had tried that when I was younger but it wasn't really a common practice for big game back in the day.

It is never to late to learn unless you are in the ground. Learning new things will keep you young!

those that live in a glass house, should have sex in the basement.

As long as the house was made out of magnifying glass, I would skip the basement, hahaha...

I'm not a long range hunter and don't condone it but there are individuals who gear up and pursue it. I've also seen worse shots at close range that are put online. They are the ones I hate to see.

It appears to be a clear shot and a successful hunt. I won't rubbish it.

Shot placement and an appropriate projectile are important for good results. Sufficient energy on impact is important is also important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PenneyDean

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!