Elephants with the largest tusks

Botswana and Caprivi Strip in northern Namibia...different blocks..Zimbabwe and perhaps some places in Mozambique..

Hello Norwegian Hunter
We operate strictly in Botswana and can certainly help you with a large elephant. I will send through a PM.

The largest elephants (ivory) in the last 10-15 years are generally taken along national park borders. In Zimbabwe, Hwange and Gonarezhou. In Tanzania, Maswa. A large one was taken in the Luangwa Valley in Zambia a couple years ago. It generally all depends on if you are on the ground when a large one walks into your hunt able area.

For a traditional walk up hunt on a big elephant, the reopening of Botswana probably gives you a great chance. Also as mentioned, the Nyae Nyae and Caprivi in Namibia.

Perhaps I have missed something, but those are places I would initially start looking at if I wanted a large elephant.

Good Day Norwegian Hunter

Game Trackers Africa operates various concession in Botswana, Namibia (Caprivi) and Tanzania. You are welcome to contact me directly on email (ondjambacc@gmail.com). We are confident in meeting your requirements. I will PM you with more details.

https://www.gametrackersafrica.com/home/

Where can we find huntable Elephants with the largest tusks? Country and hunting area, and which outfitters have the hunting rights in these areas?

What does largest tusks mean to you?

Are you purely concerned with weight(pounds per tusk) or are you looking for longer thinner symmetrical tusks?

The largest elephants (ivory) in the last 10-15 years are generally taken along national park borders. In Zimbabwe, Hwange and Gonarezhou. In Tanzania, Maswa. A large one was taken in the Luangwa Valley in Zambia a couple years ago. It generally all depends on if you are on the ground when a large one walks into your hunt able area.

Yep, I had people scouting in Zim for one of those. I literally had a bag packed and a sighted .500 caliber rifle with ammo ready to go. Of course, with Covid can't do anything at the moment.

What does largest tusks mean to you?

Are you purely concerned with weight(pounds per tusk) or are you looking for longer thinner symmetrical tusks?

For me both. Thick and symmetrical. These were 69 pounds. Looking for the 90+ range.

ak9dcZUl.jpg

Attachments

• ak9dcZUl.jpg
    ak9dcZUl.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 155
Where can we find huntable Elephants with the largest tusks? Country and hunting area, and which outfitters have the hunting rights in these areas?
whats your definition of large?

For me both. Thick and symmetrical. These were 69 pounds. Looking for the 90+ range.

ak9dcZUl.jpg

One of the members here took one like that in the Nyae Nyae maybe five or so years ago. They were 90 lbs each if I remember correct. I think he hunted 60-90 days a year for 4-5 years in the conservancy to get him.

Of course he took another dozen or so that were above 65 during that time.

Before that he took a number in Zimbabwe over 40.

Jason Stone operating in the Luangwa Valley of Zambia has done quite well lately as has Mike Fell in Maswa North Game Reserve in Tanzania.

Some of the blocks around Hwange NP in Zimbabwe can produce good ivory as well.

When Botswana properly opens there will be some great bulls hunted there as well.

Namibia: Nae Nae is excellent in all aspects and nice bulls are taken in the Caprivi each year.

I understand that Northern Mozambique and the Niassa have been hammered but that area still can produce excellent ivory.

The areas surrounding Ruaha NP in Tanzania is another option and also the portion of the Selous GR which is still open for hunting but note that many blocks there have gone unoccupied for some time now so that's not good.

Guav Johnson took a nice forest elephant in Cameroon earlier this year- tough sledding in the forest!

I think one would be correct in waiting until Botswana opens next year or booking far into the future in Nae Nae.

In many cases with elephant time is essential depending on the country/area.

Him? Looks like Stan and his .500 MDM rifle.
full

Yes it was Stan, but this wasn't the 90 pounder. The ivory was short and exceedingly thick.

This may be the elephant, but I can find the photo I want.

1598137633736.png

Last edited:
The days of 100 pounders are gone I’m afraid and even if you do find one please don’t shoot it unless you can see it is starting to die of hunger from old age/ worn molars. We need the gene pool.
Focus on a good hunt and be happy with 60-70 pounds which is still a challenge.

The days of 100 pounders are gone I’m afraid and even if you do find one please don’t shoot it unless you can see it is starting to die of hunger from old age/ worn molars. We need the gene pool.
Focus on a good hunt and be happy with 60-70 pounds which is still a challenge.

100 pounders are long past breeding age, the older and heavier the better to take they have long past on their genes.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelinaVa

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you