Elephant with a bow?

Gway River and Sikumi Forest in Zimbabwe is a bowhunting elephant stronghold.
I had long chats about this hunt with the trackers, who have been tracking guests with bows for years.
It takes them a good three hours to bleed to death.
Someone wrote that elephants deserve better.
I agree.

Good insight and appreciate You sharing your bow hunting experience with DG. I’m not surprised by your success on Big game with a bow, a well placed arrow is very Lethal - and I believe much less painful to the animal then a bullet...there is less “shock”. I’ve used my compound bow to take many whitetail deer (70-80) and all inside of 35 yrds (most inside 20) also 3 black bear with a bow. At least 10-12 or so deer just jumped and ran 10-20 yrds then stood as they bled out and fell over, clearly not in panic or severe pain. All 3 bear ran less then 30 yrds, fell over & death moaned or stopped and fell over seconds later — also not seemingly in panic or pain they way I’ve experienced with rifle shot deer & bear. My “guess” is that when an arrow misses any bone and passes “inbetween” the ribs and completely thru {double lungs or heart} the deer feels little pain, seems confused. Although loss rate is higher with a bow then with a rifle (mine around 5%-6%) I’m sure most died quickly but ran 150-200 yrds. I found a couple 3-4 months later when Winter and heavy snows beat down the cover....just hard to find them if they hit a swamp or briars in the early September season. To minimize loss, I keep my shots to under 30 yrds. In NJ where I hunted from tree stands and over bait - shots averaged 12-17 yrds, 25 was longer then average and only a few taken over 30....there was no need to stretch it. I never hunted antelope or mule deer with a bow and that would require longer shots - 40-50 yrds at times.

I understand your point, I’d be interested in hearing from a PH that has guided bow or cross bow hunters to an elephant. Although bow & crossbows have similar effective ranges and killing power - a cross bow is much easier to use and requires very little movement when it’s time to shoot (no draw required and you can “hold” for as long as it takes for good shot). Noise from crossbow or bow is much less then any rifle (even if suppressed). My question to a PH is: Does the lack of gun “shot/report” result in a “less startled” elephant ? (And less startled herd?) Does that more quiet bow/crossbow make it less dangerous in some ways — even though the arrow/bolt will take longer to have a lethal result?. I’m only speculating but am interested in someone that has seen it several times and who’s opinion is backed by experience. I do know that “if” I ever got to hunt an Elephant - I’d chose a rifle (even though I’m an avid bow hunter) because I’d be more confident with a rifle on a once-in-a-lifetime trophy. If I was able to hunt elephant many times - I still think I’d stick to a rifle....Elephant don’t seem to be “easy” under any circumstances.
I'm not sure if it's the lack of shock (and additional adrenaline from that), or lack of noise, or both but I tend to agree that I've seen many animals properly shot with proper archery equipment go less distance than properly shot with a firearm. Its counterintuitive unless you see it, but it's not an isolated incident its absolutely a significant statistic.

IMO: the arguments that a DG bow hunter is putting anyone in more danger using a bow than a gun are silly. The percentage of clients that can be remotely useful in a charge situation is incredibly low, what they have in their hands is virtually irrelevant. I also think that, especially traveling 8000 miles or so and the cost of a safari, you'll find a much higher percentage of ill prepared gun hunters than archery hunters. I do both, and the number of idiots in my home state that buy crossbows (because it takes less skill) to go wound deer during our bow season drives me nuts, but I feel those statements about bow vs gun hunters as far as Africa goes are likely accurate (be interesting to hear a PH take on it though)

I agree with @mikecatt13 regarding bow hunting and the distance an animal travels when shot. I’ve had multiple experiences where a deer is hit, jumps and either walks or stops, only to tip over in 10 seconds. The absence of a loud shot and a clean pass through tend to leave and animal more relaxed and not prone to run.
I have only hunted africa with a rifle. The level of nerves and fear associated with being within 25 yards of DG requires more margine of error for a novice.
After many DG experiences, I can see a proficient archer being able to effectively hunt DG. But, the archer is really putting faith in his/her PH to make a stopping shot if things go poorly.

I agree with @mikecatt13 regarding bow hunting and the distance an animal travels when shot. I’ve had multiple experiences where a deer is hit, jumps and either walks or stops, only to tip over in 10 seconds. The absence of a loud shot and a clean pass through tend to leave and animal more relaxed and not prone to run.
I have only hunted africa with a rifle. The level of nerves and fear associated with being within 25 yards of DG requires more margine of error for a novice.
After many DG experiences, I can see a proficient archer being able to effectively hunt DG. But, the archer is really putting faith in his/her PH to make a stopping shot if things go poorly.
Had an example of this my last safari. Had a Nyala take a step right when I released and the hit was a little far back, not a ton but a bit. I shoot 4 blade grim reapers and use hybrids when in Africa for added peace of mind. It was down in less than 40 yards (I think it was 30). I finished it with my double rifle (i always take a rifle on follow up due to the range and ability to shoot through light brush to put the animal down) because of ethics, but couldve also just backed away and given it 10-15 more minutes with the same result.

Obviously you never KNOW, but I gotta believe the same placement with a rifle wouldve resulted in a much longer trail. It was a lethal shot despite not being absolutely ideal (blood spraying instantly, arteries etc.), but animals do absolutely incredible things when that maximum adrenaline flows instantly.

It's a very interesting phenomenon I've noticed through the years, glad it's not just me thinking that it exists haha

After two different bow hunts on bull elk I realized that the animal, at least elk must not feel pain from a proper placed shot. Both of these bulls came into a call looking for a fight. At the shot they ran some distance but bugling back at them they turned around and one came back 10 yards towards the shooter before collapsing. It sure appeared to me that they jumped at the noise and felt the arrow hit but I believe they both thought it was another bull sticking them. They were looking for revenge.

Several African tribes were known to kill elephant with bows and I presume poisoned arrows?
Not for me! Nor rock climbing.

Some have but something I do not agree with.....elephant deserve better......
Then you don't know much about bowhunting... a properly set up bow is lethal and ethical for any creature walking the planet.

Then you don't know much about bowhunting... a properly set up bow is lethal and ethical for any creature walking the planet.
Or maybe you don’t know much about elephants. Their lungs attach to their body differently than most animals. No arrow is going to collapse their lungs. The only way to kill them with a bow is through hemorrhaging. A perfectly placed heart shot can work. Anything short of perfect is going to be a long slow death.

Or maybe you don’t know much about elephants. Their lungs attach to their body differently than most animals. No arrow is going to collapse their lungs. The only way to kill them with a bow is through hemorrhaging. A perfectly placed heart shot can work. Anything short of perfect is going to be a long slow death.
Right equipment, proper shot placement equals dead animal, mouse or moose or elephant.

How many elephants you killed with a bow?

I know of two members here that have taken Ele with a bow. One of them was with a recurve. It's not likely they'll reply just to avoid being chastised but both are wonderful stories.

How many elephants you killed with a bow?
I have never taken an elephant with a bow, or a Buffalo or a polar bear or a hippo or a croc... but I do know that all of those have been done many times, cleanly and efficiently. It is not necessary for me to have done it to know that it can be done... appropriately. We'd still be living in caves if we didn't learn from the experiences of other humans.

Many have been wounded and lost.....

JB use to be a bowhunting God.....making outdoor shows all across the world...now he knows how to use a bow but took him 3 elephants before he could take a picture next to one....he is also a total arsehile in camp.....

I personally do not like hunting dg with bows especially elephant.

I get it that some like iy and want to do it but I have seen too many issues.

In another post they write about a monster calibre like 700 NE shooting Elefant, in this post some dream about throwing toothpicks at Elefants ??
Its not about what can be done, its about what should be done!
The human obligation to kill an animal instantly in shortest time the safest way disqualifies in my opinion bow hunting elefants from the beginning!
We all dream about a graceful and painless death for ourself!
But think about horrofic technics to kill the most impressing mammal on earth the hardest way while having great equipment to do it quick and clean!

Many have been wounded and lost.....

JB use to be a bowhunting God.....making outdoor shows all across the world...now he knows how to use a bow but took him 3 elephants before he could take a picture next to one....he is also a total arsehile in camp.....

I personally do not like hunting dg with bows especially elephant.

I get it that some like iy and want to do it but I have seen too many issues.

Not to mention all his lond distance bow wounds. I also had the misfortune of guiding him years ago and putting down many plainsgame with a rifle. Prick of note

SURESHOT375, since almost all Bow kills are the result of Hemorrhaging (heart, Lung, Liver etc..) They would work the same way on Elephant (I have No personal experience). So is the disagreement that an Elephant - lung shot by arrow) takes too long to bleed out and “that” makes an arrow unacceptable? While an arrow might cause a slower death - that does not mean it is a painful or agonizing death. I am a bow hunter but no interest in taking Elephant with a bow - also no problems with others that do…provided they are reasonably proficient with their bow. This is a surprisingly “hot topic” and i find the various opinions interesting - also more emotional then expected.

In another post they write about a monster calibre like 700 NE shooting Elefant, in this post some dream about throwing toothpicks at Elefants ??
Its not about what can be done, its about what should be done!
The human obligation to kill an animal instantly in shortest time the safest way disqualifies in my opinion bow hunting elefants from the beginning!
We all dream about a graceful and painless death for ourself!
But think about horrofic technics to kill the most impressing mammal on earth the hardest way while having great equipment to do it quick and clean!
I respect everyone's informed opinions, but many are uneducated on the lethality of archery equipment, granted my personal experience is limited to black bear, grizzly, elk, moose and other NA game, but the death sequence between an arrow kill and a bullet kill, all-be-it via different mechanisms, is not different when it comes to effectiveness... I have put down 1000 pound bull moose in 2 seconds without them taking a step, a 600 pound bear dead in 2 seconds without time to moan or flich when hitting the ground. You have to see the lethality in person to appreciate it. Again, I have zero experience with elephants, and they would require special equipment, special planning and due diligence with respect to their size and stamina, but I have no doubt that an archery kill would be lethal, humane and effective. JMO.

I respect everyone's informed opinions, but many are uneducated on the lethality of archery equipment, granted my personal experience is limited to black bear, grizzly, elk, moose and other NA game, but the death sequence between an arrow kill and a bullet kill, all-be-it via different mechanisms, is not different when it comes to effectiveness... I have put down 1000 pound bull moose in 2 seconds without them taking a step, a 600 pound bear dead in 2 seconds without time to moan or flich when hitting the ground. You have to see the lethality in person to appreciate it. Again, I have zero experience with elephants, and they would require special equipment, special planning and due diligence with respect to their size and stamina, but I have no doubt that an archery kill would be lethal, humane and effective. JMO.
There are so many posts here that stress “Humane, dignified, quick, minimal pain etc..” kills . That appears to be the point of contention and it’s difficult to come to consensus because “Humane” and like terms are a matter subject to opinion. I agree that no Hunter should be intentionally cruel or prolong an animals suffering - but any death-by-hunting is almost always LESS painful then death by nature, less suffering, faster, etc.. Death from a Lion, Hyena, starvation, old age etc…. Is prolonged agony. It is an unfortunate reality that most animal deaths by hunting will result in a certain amount of pain, stress, suffering but it will Not exceed that animals “destiny” which Nature had in store.

Everyone has a right to an opinion including those that have had no experience, those that have and those that do it for a living.

I would like to see the look on some inexperienced hunter going after DG and his PH breaks out his compound bow to do back up.

Lon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfredoYua

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.