Elephant Charge Hunting Video

In my inexperienced view I would guess close to 50 lbs. maybe more. Should we get an expert opinion, i would like to know what you think.

Well beyond Caustin, as a norm we work on ivory mass at the lip, x foot of tusk visible...

This is a tricky formula to use as nerve length, ivory wall thickness and over all lenth play integral rolls in mass estimation, nerve length varies greatly so does ivory wall thickness.

i reckon the bull in Jeromes picture (shot placement)will be around 60lbs 4' x 15" at the lip. It kinda hard to judge the mass like this but it a big Elle!

I do not expect it to be super accurate but close enough. Keep in mind that tusks start getting heavy at 18" + mass

My best.

Jaco could you look at the ele in the video with Ivan Carter that Brickburn attached to this thread. That is the one I was asking about sorry I did not make that clear. I'm wondering what you think length and weight would be on that one? Thanks so much for your help.

I doubt he makes 30..

Jeromes pic......75+ bull

perfect_shot_elephant.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The video with Ian Carter was awesome. PH's really impress me with their knowledge and cool demeanor when faced with an Elephant Bull. That Bull was awesome, I am no judge of Elephant but he looked in his prime maybe a little young? Very cool video.

The video with Ian Carter was awesome. PH's really impress me with their knowledge and cool demeanor when faced with an Elephant Bull. That Bull was awesome, I am no judge of Elephant but he looked in his prime maybe a little young? Very cool video.

I agree it's a very cool video!

Charlie, if you did not recognize the guy on the left it was IvanCarter.
That is exactly what they were doing: Practicing approaches and aiming.
You can see that Ivan never stops talking.

He also only raises his rifle once to show the Elephant the barrel at the height of the Bulls eyes once.

Lens compression has them looking closer than they are but they are close enough for that tree to almost hit them.

I remember a sentence of my PH (sometimes Ivan Carters neighbour at Mana Pools)
" he is crazy,we (the PH's) have to protect our clients ,not to test wildlife"

Last edited:
Watched the charge video and the Ivan Carter on again. Since my earlier posts on this thread I did an elephant hunt. On a couple of occasions Pieter had us all raise our rifles and the trackers their sticks to show elephant how tall we were. The trick worked and both times they turned away.
But I tell you when a bull turns to face you and flaps his ears and kicks dirt at you.....well it's time to be very serious and aware of every step that animal takes.

I learned a LOT from watching that, several times. Cool shot by Ivan, doing his job really well as he should. I was watching the muzzle direction of the bloke standing behind him and to his right; he came close to "crossing" the back of Ivan's skull...

Does anyone know of a survivor of an Elephant attack where the animal got into the hunters etc. ?????
Absolutely, read my hunt report from Zim last year. We had a full on charge that took the PH to the ground after his gun misfired. It then charged my buddy and his wife. He put her to the ground with a brain shot. The PH only had a few scratches. Shorts filling details in the hunt report.

Absolutely, read my hunt report from Zim last year. We had a full on charge that took the PH to the ground after his gun misfired. It then charged my buddy and his wife. He put her to the ground with a brain shot. The PH only had a few scratches. Shorts filling details in the hunt report.
Could you post the link? I'm on the app only this month...Army training has taken me from home 5 weeks

Last edited by a moderator:
Since elephants are super smart, do they recognize that someone's pointing a gun at them?

I should clarify this comment, the 'her' he put to the ground with the brain shot was the cow elephant, not his wife. :)

Sorry, a little sick Canadian humour, eh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg