Eland, warthog skull mount ideas?

Jasper99

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I've cleaned and whitened my warthog skull and am looking for ideas on what to mount it on. I'm getting one eland mounted and my taxidermist is cleaning the other skull but I'll mount it. I make my own Skullhooker type mounts but never anything eland size. Would love to some skull mount pics and hear some ideas. Thanks!

I used a 1x4 of Wenge wood from my local wood emporium. Cut it into wedges the length of the skull and then glued them to gather. Since the skull was a little wider in the back I added two small wedges one on each side to make it more stable. I got a bronze coin for warthogs from Africa on the Internet and drilled a hole for it. I am not at home but will put a picture of just it when I get home this afternoon. I also had the skull bronzed.
Tom
image.jpeg

That looks great! Interested to hear more about the coin

Reactions: BWH
Hi Jasper
I found the coins on the Internet they were a set but the person was selling them individually and I got the Blue Wildebeest and the Warthog to show they were gold. Here are a couple pictures of the coin so you can see what to look for, and the base.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I love it! Cool idea with the coins, thanks! Have a blessed day..

Very cool idea.
Where did you find the coins? Would be cool to have some of those!

Bhfs300 were the coins bought stateside or from Africa?

Tom, that's the coolest skull mount I've seen! Well done sir

The coins Tom has are beautiful but a little too expensive for me. Though not nearly as nice I found these on EBay for $3 or $4 apiece. I'll post pics later of how I incorporate them after I'm done.

image.png
image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the coolest warthog mount I've seen so far! I'm going to have to steal your idea!

I used a 1x4 of Wenge wood from my local wood emporium. Cut it into wedges the length of the skull and then glued them to gather. Since the skull was a little wider in the back I added two small wedges one on each side to make it more stable. I got a bronze coin for warthogs from Africa on the Internet and drilled a hole for it. I am not at home but will put a picture of just it when I get home this afternoon. I also had the skull bronzed.
Tom
View attachment 55241
Can you tell me where you had the skull bronzed? Beautiful!

full

Tusks on European style plaques.

Yip mount the tusks on a wooden plaque

Very cool mount. thanks for sharing

I'm not much for liking skull mounts. But I do have a few in the trophy room. I do like the bronze finish though. This is one of mine I shot in Namibia. It can sit on the floor or a table. I like the habitat with it.
DSC_0211 (2).JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg