Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI/BDS.SACS
Hunted
Croatia,Argentina,RSA,UK
Greetings Gents from Scotland.
Can I please ask if anyone on the forum can answer my question.
I have a Blaser R93 .375 H & H and would like to know what the most effective killing range is using this calibre.
Would it be up to 100 yards or under 200 yards
I use a Blaser R93 .300 Win Mag out over 300+ yards with great results.

All the very best

DavieH

With 235gr,250gr,260gr and even 270gr bullets,the .375 is easily a 300 yard rifle.I have,although I prefer not to,taken animals at distances over 250 yards using hand-loaded 250gr Sierra GameKing's.Knowing your rifle's trajectory and shot placement will still ALWAYS be the most important factors in taking longer range shots.

DavieH,
I agree with docman here! I use my 375H&H as my backup rifle and use 200gr'ers in it. I know that it is light for calibre, but since all of my shots are basically last chance shots, I need something with a little bit of legs to get there. So, my advice for a little bit longer range shooting would be anything up to the 250 gr'ers. Maybe the TSX from Barnes?
All the sbest in your ventures in finding that perfect load.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

Thanks for the info but I am maybe doing it to heavy because of the rules by the Firearm Laws in the UK.
I have just looked at my ammo and they are Norma .375 H & H 350 Grain.
I believe that these are for short range " need to stop" cartridges, hence my original question.
You would not believe the price for these £60:00 for 10 = R600
Now that you have given me a "Typical Load" I will change for the future.
As I said I am shooting 300+ yards with my .300 Win Mag and very confident shooting Gemsbok,Blue and Black Wildebeest out to that distance.

My sincere thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards

DaviEh

Sorry meant to say that in the UK we are only allowed Solids and not expanding ammunition for that calibre.

Regards

DavieH

Hello from Tanzania
Hope someone can Tell me if premium ammunition for .375 h&h in 235gr or 250gr factory is available in South Africa or does One have to reload?Seems like the 270 gr and 300 is available mostly

Your 350g Woodleighs will do just fine at 300 yards. I shoot them as well for elk in Colorado. Sight them in 3" high at 100 yards, they're dead on at 25 yards and at 200 yards. 12" low at 300, 24" low at 350 yards and 36" low at 400 yards still packing over 2000 ft lbs of energy. Those Woodleighs will open up at 400 yards and penetrate an elk lengthwise at 25 yards.

Hello from Tanzania
Hope someone can Tell me if premium ammunition for .375 h&h in 235gr or 250gr factory is available in South Africa or does One have to reload?Seems like the 270 gr and 300 is available mostly

CSwanepoel,
The only 235gr that I have come across is the TSX which you have to reload. I know that you can buy them as factory ammo in a brand called "Double Tap" , but have not seen any around. The joys of living in a 3rd world country.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

Thank you Marius does that mean that hunters with the one rifle approach shoot plains game with the conventional 286gr.

regards
corey

Sorry meant to say that in the UK we are only allowed Solids and not expanding ammunition for that calibre.

Regards

DavieH

DavieH, I recently got a tip from another member, michaelhh375, who has good experience with Impala bullets. They are (technically) solids but have the shock value of soft points. Check their website, impalabullets.co.za. This may be a way around the weird and wonderful firearms laws of the UK (what is the reasoning behind this, anyway? Are they trying to protect people from being shot at with softpoints because they believe a solid would be less harmful? In .375 H&H mag??? Please!). Anyway, good luck, and good hunting!

Are they trying to protect people from being shot at with softpoints because they believe a solid would be less harmful? In .375 H&H mag??? Please!

Yep! if you happen to shoot a burgler with it, they want to make sure he will make a full recovery. That way, he cant sue you over not being able to practice his trade.

Hi Davie, with a 2" mid range rise you will have a point blank of about 270- 280 yards. It is a very capable 300 yarder, but I would not be shooting that far at dangerous game. But certainly as a plain game rifle it will do it very adequately.

Don't get me started on gun laws in UK. Please! And if you wre to shoot a rioter or burglar in UK- Oh my G-d you would be locked up and the key thrown away.

Gents

My sincere thanks for all of your posts.
As to the gun laws in the UK it is the genuine hunters and shooters that get the brunt of it from the police.
My licence is due for renewal in May 2012 and the officer how comes to do both my Firearms and Shotgun is a pure (female dog)
It took a lot to get both my .300Win Mag and .375H & H as they are no your typical sporting rifle for the species we have.
On many occassions I have been asked by the police (and my wife) why do I need all of these differant calibres, my answer ids that you would not do a round of golf with just one club, nor would you eat a five course meal with just a fork.
Any thanks again for all your help.
Regards

DavieH from a totally wet Scotland.

The 375 has plenty of killing power out to 600+ yards, but the trajectory gets very steep after 400 or so... but the effective range is only as far as you can reliably hit the vital areas of the target. For some people that isn't even 100 yards.

Practice until you know what your range is! It won't be as long as your 300 mag without some practice, but the caliber is certainly up to the task.

Not a truer word said throughout the whole site. You and I are soulmates!

The 375 has plenty of killing power out to 600+ yards, but the trajectory gets very steep after 400 or so... but the effective range is only as far as you can reliably hit the vital areas of the target. For some people that isn't even 100 yards.

Practice until you know what your range is! It won't be as long as your 300 mag without some practice, but the caliber is certainly up to the task.

Agree totally with libertarian!

Regards

DavieH
do not know why you can not get expanding ammo for your 375 i have it for my 375 and my 416 weatherby mag
and i am from the uk i live in manchester john cropper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.