Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
The possibility that this dreadful disease outbreak is actually being beneficial to wildlife never dawned on me until I read this.

I did hear that Rhino were becoming very susceptible to Ebola and transmitting it through their horns.

Nigeria: Ebola - Cross River Hunters Record Business Lull

Hunters in Boki Local Government Area of Cross River State, where bush meat is largely sourced, say they are facing hard times because of lack of patronage.

The hunters told newsmen yesterday that bush meat consumers in the state have stopped patronising them for fear of contracting the Ebola virus.

They said they were now afraid of venturing into the bush in search of animals, because of the virus which could be transmitted to humans by fruit bats, monkeys and apes.

Mr Basil Edum, a retired soldier who has being hunting for 13 years, said the outbreak of Ebola virus in Nigeria has badly affected business.

"I have been in this hunting business since I retired from the Nigeria Army 13 years ago, but because of the Ebola outbreak, I have stopped hunting for now. The Ebola virus has affected our hunting business; my customers no longer demand for bush meat because everyone is scared of eating bush meat now. Hunting has been a lucrative business for me because I don't shoot and miss. I use to kill at least two grass cutters every night," he said.

Another hunter, Mr Kenneth Abang, said everybody in the area is now aware of the danger of the virus and the situation has forced him to stop hunting.

Abang appealed to government to organise awareness programmes to enable the people to know more about the virus.

A meat seller, Mrs Elizabeth Odok, also lamented the situation, describing it as very serious.

"People now laugh at me, when they see me with meat, as if I am carrying poison," Odok said.

A resident, Mr Lawrence Mpama, said: "I used to be a good consumer of bush meat but now I go for either cow meat or fresh fish."

Daily Trust August 11

Nigeria: Ebola - Ogun Suspends Wildlife Hunting

The Ogun state Government has urged those hunting for Wild Life and Games Animals to suspend their activities forthwith in the state as part of measures to curtail the outbreak of Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Virus in Nigeria.

Commissioner for Agriculture, Mrs. Ronke Sokefun in a statement said such huntings do facilitate the outbreak of the disease as they pose some risks.

…….

The Guardian August 10, 2014

West Africa: Ebola - Softly, Softly On Bush Meat

Conakry — Medical teams struggling to curb Ebola in West Africa have been discouraging bush meat consumption, believed to have caused the outbreak, but some rural communities dependent on the meat for protein are determined to continue their traditional hunting practices.

While meat from wild animals such as fruit bats, rodents and forest antelopes have largely disappeared from market stalls in main towns like Guéckédou (in southern Guinea and the epicentre of the disease) or the capital Conakry following campaigns to avoid contamination, it is still being eaten in remote villages despite the risks.

"Life is not easy here in the village. They [authorities and aid groups] want to ban our traditions that we have observed for generations. Animal husbandry is not widespread here because bush meat is easily available. Banning bush meat means a new way of life, which is unrealistic," said Sâa Fela Léno, who lives in Nongoha village in Guéckédou.

The disease, which first erupted in Guinea's southern Forest Region and diagnosed in March as Ebola, is West Africa's first outbreak, and the worst known to date globally with more than 700 deaths. Infections continue to spread in Guinea and neighbouring Liberia and Sierra Leone.

………..

IRIN August 1

West Africa: Ebola - Softly, Softly On Bush Meat

Conakry — Medical teams struggling to curb Ebola in West Africa have been discouraging bush meat consumption, believed to have caused the outbreak, but some rural communities dependent on the meat for protein are determined to continue their traditional hunting practices.

hmm, new anti poaching tactic...
spread the word that bush meat is dangerous!

I heard yesterday that our Zambian immigration dept closed their borders to anyone travelling to or from certain west african states.

hmm, new anti poaching tactic...
spread the word that bush meat is dangerous!

I heard yesterday that our Zambian immigration dept closed their borders to anyone travelling to or from certain west african states.
hmm, seems the gov has decided it is not a ban, merely a travel advisory...
but with this lot in charge, could change again by the afternoon!

All I can say is "Really"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg