Early trials with a Snider

camerl2009

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
canada
@fourfive8
I'm well out of my zone with both but I had a brain snap last night and thought I would run it by you.
As you are basically using a straight sided shotgun case would it be possible to use a smokeless load with a saboted slug. This would eliminate small charges air space in the cartridge and the problem of paper patched bullets.
It is just a thought I had may be laughable but you never know.
Bob
I wouldn't use smokeless.period in any Snider just not safe especially since the 24ga magtech brass is semi balloon head.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I wouldn't use smokeless.period in any Snider just not safe especially since the 24ga magtech brass is semi balloon head.
@camerl2009
I did say it was a brain snap, sometimes ideas just don't work but how would the same idea go with BP and a saboted projectiles in the case.
Probably the same no go but hey have to ask.
Bob

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
"I'm well out of my zone with both but I had a brain snap last night and thought I would run it by you.
As you are basically using a straight sided shotgun case would it be possible to use a smokeless load with a saboted slug. This would eliminate small charges air space in the cartridge and the problem of paper patched bullets.
It is just a thought I had may be laughable but you never know."

Bob

Don't know how it would act but the idea is certainly not laughable. For saboted rounds to work though, the tolerances need to be pretty close.

Once upon a time I did a lot of experimenting with smoothbore muzzleloaders using shotgun wads and BP. Not so much for slug loads but for large shot and buckshot loads. Even tested quite a few combinations using the tough, full length steel shot cups. As it turned out, I got better results and patterns with regular hard card wads and fiber wads than with modern shot cups. Go figure?

I know with the inline, fast twist +/- 28" muzzleloader rifle made specifically for sabots, I could never get top accuracy compared to conventional BP loads/projectiles in traditional muzzleloaders with twists in the 48" range. That included primarily 45, 50 and 54 caliber rifles. I shot my T/C Hawken 48" twist 50 cal, tang peep sighted with BP and their Maxi against my inline Knight fast twist 50 cal, scope sighted with a couple of different saboted modern bullet combinations and BP. After all the rage, the modern inline technology grossly underperformed for me. So I've been opher-2 using modern component loads in BP guns, albeit muzzleloaders.

So after that long winded ramble, I would be perfectly willing to try a BP saboted cast bullet load in the Snider. But coming up with the properly fitting sabot and bullet may be a challenge. :)

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
you are right about twist rates.
the snider twist is fast enough for its calibre bullets of the correct length.
larger calibres need slower twists.
the sabot bullet is however a smaller calibre when the sabot leaves it.
it will then require a faster twist than is imparted to it for stability.
you sure have some interesting journeys.
bruce.

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
Variety of shooting interests has always kept me entertained and busy. As per Bob’s thoughts, if I can find some of those 58 cal sabots that, IIRC, Hornady marketed years ago - I’ll try them. It’s been so long ago, can’t remember what bullet was intended to be used. If they were for shooting something like a 45 cal pistol bullet in a 577/58 cal, 72” twist musket, not hard to understand their short lived history. Likely that bullet would be cart wheeling not far out the muzzle :)

Recently I’ve only seen one company trying to market a 58 cal sabot for a longer, rifle type cast bullet. Not sure of the current status of the company or if still in business. They do mention the 28” and 48” twist in their ad.

Should be getting a 520 gr .599” “Snider type” cast bullet mold shortly. Interested in comparing that to my 450 gr flat RN bullet that has been behaving fairly well. Will post results after it arrives.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyalamonster

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?