Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
Just a FWIW note: I inquired about taking some drone videos at my upcoming hunting destination in Namibia. The short answer: it's not legal for a visiting foreigner. The long answer; requires a letter of permission from the Civil Aviation Authority at least 60 days in advance, a letter from the Minister of Environment(al) Tourism, another from The Namibian Film Board, an approved damage mitigation plan, proof of insurance, and a Pilot's License. These, plus some hefty fees. But even if all of these things are in place, the literature is rife with testimonials of drone confiscation upon arrival. Oh, and videography is not legal along public roadways or National Parks. People probably do it.....but probably not legally, as there are too many defacto obstacles........
I thought it might be nice to have a huge, wide angle aerial view of the hunt area, then move in to the hunter and PH as an opener. (Actually, flying a drone above 150 ft requires another permit). So.....I'm out of the drone foto business (actually never owned one) but still, heading off to Namibia.......good hunting........FWB

Are
Just a FWIW note: I inquired about taking some drone videos at my upcoming hunting destination in Namibia. The short answer: it's not legal for a visiting foreigner. The long answer; requires a letter of permission from the Civil Aviation Authority at least 60 days in advance, a letter from the Minister of Environment(al) Tourism, another from The Namibian Film Board, an approved damage mitigation plan, proof of insurance, and a Pilot's License. These, plus some hefty fees. But even if all of these things are in place, the literature is rife with testimonials of drone confiscation upon arrival. Oh, and videography is not legal along public roadways or National Parks. People probably do it.....but probably not legally, as there are too many defacto obstacles........
I thought it might be nice to have a huge, wide angle aerial view of the hunt area, then move in to the hunter and PH as an opener. (Actually, flying a drone above 150 ft requires another permit). So.....I'm out of the drone foto business (actually never owned one) but still, heading off to Namibia.......good hunting........FWB

Are you going where I think you are? ;)

Yes............FWB

Looking forward to your report!

Enjoy the hunt

Drones do come with some bull shit and permitting etc

Hire a videographer.

We were going to take ours, “Judging by @375er comment” to the exact same place.

We ran into the same issue. Looking back now, we would have just thrown out drone into checked baggage and hoped for the best. Worst case; you loose a drone.

We were going to take ours, “Judging by @375er comment” to the exact same place.

We ran into the same issue. Looking back now, we would have just thrown out drone into checked baggage and hoped for the best. Worst case; you loose a drone.
Or go to jail.........

Owning

Owning a drone is not a crime. Flying one without a license is.
So you're going to take a drone overseas with you, and then just bring it back without flying it?
:giggle:

This is kind of a moot point, because since the last time I was there I have learned how to apply for the tourist for the tourism flying permits over seas.

What I am saying…. I would feel comfortable taking one with me in my checked luggage. The only place a small drone would likely be discovered is at the airport on departure from Africa.

Airport security everywhere are looking for, guns, knives, and destructive devices; nothing more.
Small drones are incredibly hard to see in any airport X-Ray device with very few metallic parts or materials, and the carbon fiber bodies do not share any of the same characteristics of the Items they actually are looking for.

I would also find it hard to believe that airport security anywhere ; would pull an individual back to checked baggage upon the discovery of a drone to check your flight permits, and if you do have it you are not flying it at that time.

The area I was hunting I did not encounter anyone from the aviation administration that would take up issue.

I realize there is a level of corruption amongst many of the officials overseas, I feel confident if any issues were to arise, the drone would just find a new home with whoever decided there was an issue.

Hence I would feel comfortable taking one with me.

Im headed to Namibia May. 16th . First hunt in Africa.

Hope to hear about your trip, Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg