Double rifle regulation issue

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello all! Well I took my double out to the field to try it at 50 yards. Long story short I must be doing something really wrong and I dont know what. The closest group I got was 6 inches, 4 inches when I moved to 28 yards. The right barrel seems to shoot far to the right, the left seems a few inches to the right as well, but not as bad. The rifle came with the factory target showing the bullets almost touching at 50, I'm no where close. I checked the front sight and there is no way to adjust it, nor the rear sight. I'm shooting it like I normally shoot my rifles, so maybe there is a trick I am missing with doubles? As the day went on my grouping got worse but I can put that down to muscle fatigue. Does anyone have any tips for double shooting? Should I consider a scope or red dot of some kind so I can adjust that? Really just looking for help because right now I'm pretty darn disappointed. Thanks for your help.

Are you using the same factory ammo?

Also, I have been told not to shoot from a bench or a lead sled.

Red dot or a scope is not going to change how each barrel shoots. Sighting in is different than regulation.

It is important that you get use to the sights. You no doubt did that today. What ammo was the rifle regulated with? The picture you posted with the rifle earlier showed a target. Did that target indicate the ammo used?

Are you using the same factory ammo?

Also, I have been told not to shoot from a bench or a lead sled.

Red dot or a scope is not going to change how each barrel shoots. Sighting in is different than regulation.

Thanks for the reply! Yes I'm using the same factory ammo that it was regulated with. I didn't shoot from the bench, I set up with a tripod since that's what I would use in the field. I also shot free hand, just to see but no dice. I figured about the red dot but I had to ask.

It is important that you get use to the sights. You no doubt did that today. What ammo was the rifle regulated with? The picture you posted with the rifle earlier showed a target. Did that target indicate the ammo used?

Yes, it was regulated with hornady dgx.

20200726_131323.jpg
20200726_130758.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a different rear sight than what i have on my 9.3. But if my memory serves me flip uo the leafs and there is a screw under that you loosen, then drift the sights for windage. When I shoot a double I have my hand between the forestock and the sticks. I also bury the front bead in the rear sight and shot a 6 o'clock hold on the target. are your individual barrel groups together? If you can shoot a 4 shot grouping and take a picture and post it. That will help us diagnose the issues.

Dont forget to consentrate on marksmanship fundementals. I find that when my groups open up I am not following through, or jacking up my trigger pull.

If I am reading this correctly, and you are getting a 4 - 6" spread at 50 yards, the rear sight is the least of your problems.

As @AZDAVE suggests, a photo of a four shot LxR/LxR would be useful.

Another potential fly in the ointment is that the test target was likely fired with the original DGX, not the new bonded bullet. Normally, usually, most of the time that shouldn't make that much of a difference, but then again, sometimes just a new lot of the same ammunition will move groups inches (particularly if the manufacturer changed powders). I have not compared the old and new bullet in one of my doubles. However, the the new bonded .470 regulates well in my Douglas.

And be very careful tackling any screws on that rifle. You need to use a perfectly sized, flat ground driver or you will leave yourself an ugly reminder on that rib for the remainder of the time you own it.

Last edited:
One other thing. What are groups like for individual barrels? If you are not getting decent groups from each individual barrel then there might be other factors in play than just regulation.

That is a different rear sight than what i have on my 9.3. But if my memory serves me flip uo the leafs and there is a screw under that you loosen, then drift the sights for windage. When I shoot a double I have my hand between the forestock and the sticks. I also bury the front bead in the rear sight and shot a 6 o'clock hold on the target. are your individual barrel groups together? If you can shoot a 4 shot grouping and take a picture and post it. That will help us diagnose the issues.

Dont forget to consentrate on marksmanship fundementals. I find that when my groups open up I am not following through, or jacking up my trigger pull.

Thank you, I ended up looking under the flip sights and there is an odd screw there that none of my slot heads, even the small glasses ones, will fit. Also I found out that the sight itself is loose, freely wiggling a few cm left and right. Unfortunately I cant lock it dow.

If I am reading this correctly, and you are getting a 4 - 6" spread at 50 yards, the rear sight is the least of your problems.

As @AZDAVE suggests, a photo of a four shot LxR/LxR would be useful.

Another potential fly in the ointment is that the test target was likely fired with the original DGX, not the new bonded bullet. Normally, usually, most of the time that shouldn't make that much of a difference, but then again, sometimes just a new lot of the same ammunition will move groups inches (particularly if the manufacturer changed powders). I have not compared the old and new bullet in one of my doubles. However, the the new bonded .470 regulates well in my Douglas.

And be very careful tackling any screws on that rifle. You need to use a perfectly sized, flat ground driver or you will leave yourself an ugly reminder on that rib for the remainder of the time you own it.
Happy to post a 4x4 picture next time I go to the range, probably this weekend...or whenever I can feel my shoulder again, whichever comes first hey. The 450/400 isn't bad mind you, but it's sure not my 270 either!

One other thing. What are groups like for individual barrels? If you are not getting decent groups from each individual barrel then there might be other factors in play than just regulation.

The right barrel is far to the right, the left is also to the right but actually on paper at least.

The right barrel is far to the right, the left is also to the right but actually on paper at least.

OK. I didn't mean where on paper as the sighting of them is not important at this point. When you fire 3 shots from the left barrel what is the group size, and same for the right barrel. I'd actually set up two separate targets, one for each barrel and test that first.

You can not proceed to regulation if groups per barrel are inconsistent. So, best to eliminate that first.

Welcome to the absolutely wonderful world of double rifles. First, you are not alone. Anyone who has ever own and shot a double rifle knows that can be a fickle as a four year old. Things to consider:

1) Everyone says don't shoot a double off of a shooting bench because it will be different POI than on sticks. I agree with this but understand that they regulated that rifle off a bench vise! Go figure.
2) Because of #1 it is now time to start reloading and work with different velocities until the l/r barrels are as close as you can get them.
3) This is all part of owning a double rifle, but the satisfaction of using one on a large animal in Africa is truly special in my book.

Good Luck.

OK. I didn't mean where on paper as the sighting of them is not important at this point. When you fire 3 shots from the left barrel what is the group size, and same for the right barrel. I'd actually set up two separate targets, one for each barrel and test that first.

You can not proceed to regulation if groups per barrel are inconsistent. So, best to eliminate that first.
I'm sorry, that does make a lot more sense than what I was thinking. It's Monday, that's my excuse.

Welcome to the absolutely wonderful world of double rifles. First, you are not alone. Anyone who has ever own and shot a double rifle knows that can be a fickle as a four year old. Things to consider:

1) Everyone says don't shoot a double off of a shooting bench because it will be different POI than on sticks. I agree with this but understand that they regulated that rifle off a bench vise! Go figure.
2) Because of #1 it is now time to start reloading and work with different velocities until the l/r barrels are as close as you can get them.
3) This is all part of owning a double rifle, but the satisfaction of using one on a large animal in Africa is truly special in my book.

Good Luck.

Oh this will be a fun adventure I'm sure, thank you! Except the reloading part, I'm not there yet lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg