Double Rifle Opinions

Bloody funny because we've all been there in some way or other..............
fixed bayonets and charge.
thanks for posting
Pat

@rnovi

that is the best and most honest story.
I can find no faults with it...

Great stuff

rnovi I dang near spit up on my laptop.

Yer killing me!

:)

I'm here all week folks!

Been there - done that.
An equally perverse obsession is the gun or rifle that is a bargain and just needs a little work ....... :A Bang Head:

Initial investment, at the neighborhood gun show, in a Birmingham SxS whatever rifle in 450 something or another - $3200 - absolute steal!

Take it to the range with Hornady DGX's in hand (because they are the only quick commercial option available) - right barrel fires - left not so much. Doesn't really matter because the bloody thing won't open after firing.

Call the local gunsmith and he won't touch it (smart guy). Suggests I send it to some character half way across the country whose name I can't pronounce.

Ship it and three months later get a call - sounds like Colonel Klink. Rifle was off face which was the issue with opening the action - can be fixed for only $300. Left barrel not firing properly was due to a broken spring - that too can be fixed for $500. Had I noticed that the rib was no longer properly attached to the barrels? Fortunately, that too can be fixed for $1100.

Six months later, rifle returns home - now a $5100 investment. Back to the range with Mr. Hornady and we fire a L/R x L/R at 50 yards. I have seen smaller improved cylinder patterns of number six shot. Also, after round number 4 their is just a hint of wiggle where the pistol grip meets the frame.

Fortunately, I don't reload - see Rvoni above - so I call the guy with the funny name again. Rifle is mailed the next day. Some weeks later I receive a phone call. The wiggle is due to the head of the stock being saturated with several generations of oil. Really not salvageable. The Nazi gunsmith can build me a new stock and supply a serviceable blank for only $2500. HOWEVER, the barrels have clearly been re-soldered at some point. Yes, he had suspected that when the rib problem was identified, but one never knows until rounds go down range. He is happy to try to work up a load that might by some miracle regulate (for a nearly unimaginable sum of money), or he can re-regulate the barrels (and, of course, re-do the rib) for Mr. Hornady's ammunition for $1400 - 1600 depending upon how much range time is required. At this point I can either use the bloody thing as a tomato plant pole or drop another 4 large.

Eight months later the prodigal gun returns home. It shoots! The stock is lovely and fits perfectly. Regrettably, the barrels and action now look like faded, worn sheet metal in comparison. And then there are those buggered screws (pins as the Brits say) holding everything together. I call some guy in the rust belt who specializes in case coloring and we discuss re-coloring the action and rust bluing the barrels - he tosses out a number that sounds a lot like $1200. Several weeks later, I receive a call. Cleaning and prep will be a $350 add - and wouldn't it be a shame to do that wonderful case color work on worn engraving. That can be "picked up" for only another $650. Nine months later the rifle comes home and it now represents an investment of something over 12 THOUSAND dollars........

On a really good day, at a really good auction, I bet it will fetch $8500 before a seller's premium. It's a fine madness.

RL, that is truly a sad story. Maybe some counseling is in order! That is equal to two low end PG hunts, or one buff hunt!

RL's story reminds me of something that has been said of a guy I know really well..."For a pretty smart guy, you do some pretty dumb shit".

:)

Wife and I are giggling like hyenas as we wait for hurricane. Thanks so much for the laugh

I know it's been done but then there is the whole ejector of extractor thing. I know that @pawprint safari has a 500ne which I think is an extractor. How do you get on with it Pieter? Or any one else with extractors

I have extractors on my Merkel K1 (*single shot, break) and ejectors on my Merkel 141 Double.

Personally, I'd rather have the extractors. I like the silence of the extractor and ease of saving brass. While it is a tad slower, it's not much. IMO, it's really just different strokes. If you are a legit PH hunting DG then the ejectors really are worthwhile. Still, you do have to be aware of the brass shooting out of the breach.

It's funny, I'd much prefer extractors on my shotgun too.

well,

i have an o/u 450-400. zoli. i like it! shoots hornady ammo great, shoots my north fork reloads to 1.5" at a 100 yards.

is it classic africa double? nah. do i care? nah. I just shot a 58" moose, offhand, 225 yards. one shot. if i can figure out how to post a photo, will brag a bit on it.

I am creating provenance for that rifle! just got a 9.3x74r, o/u. i suspect i will get it to shoot as well. is it a classic african rifle? nah, do i care? nah. i will shoot a brown bear or a caribou with it and enjoy it as well.

i DO believe a s x s rifle will hold its value better than an o/u. i also believe a British double will hold its value better than a more current rifle. that said i can't afford one and so have an o/u double that i hunt with a bunch.

double rifles remind me of days gone by in africa, that can never be replaced or duplicated. they are first and foremost a hunting rifle. they are fascinating to shoot and use, because they are so different than what we are used to. any double that one buys should make you smile and if it doesn't, don't buy it. someone else will come along and give it a home.

i hope your quest for a double rifle ends with you owning one. buy one that you are willing to take out hunting. a $100,000 rifle is unlikely to leave the gun safe. so, buy one that you want to hunt with, not one that will make you rich.

Been there - done that.
An equally perverse obsession is the gun or rifle that is a bargain and just needs a little work ....... :A Bang Head:

Initial investment, at the neighborhood gun show, in a Birmingham SxS whatever rifle in 450 something or another - $3200 - absolute steal!

Take it to the range with Hornady DGX's in hand (because they are the only quick commercial option available) - right barrel fires - left not so much. Doesn't really matter because the bloody thing won't open after firing.

Call the local gunsmith and he won't touch it (smart guy). Suggests I send it to some character half way across the country whose name I can't pronounce.

Ship it and three months later get a call - sounds like Colonel Klink. Rifle was off face which was the issue with opening the action - can be fixed for only $300. Left barrel not firing properly was due to a broken spring - that too can be fixed for $500. Had I noticed that the rib was no longer properly attached to the barrels? Fortunately, that too can be fixed for $1100.

Six months later, rifle returns home - now a $5100 investment. Back to the range with Mr. Hornady and we fire a L/R x L/R at 50 yards. I have seen smaller improved cylinder patterns of number six shot. Also, after round number 4 their is just a hint of wiggle where the pistol grip meets the frame.

Fortunately, I don't reload - see Rvoni above - so I call the guy with the funny name again. Rifle is mailed the next day. Some weeks later I receive a phone call. The wiggle is due to the head of the stock being saturated with several generations of oil. Really not salvageable. The Nazi gunsmith can build me a new stock and supply a serviceable blank for only $2500. HOWEVER, the barrels have clearly been re-soldered at some point. Yes, he had suspected that when the rib problem was identified, but one never knows until rounds go down range. He is happy to try to work up a load that might by some miracle regulate (for a nearly unimaginable sum of money), or he can re-regulate the barrels (and, of course, re-do the rib) for Mr. Hornady's ammunition for $1400 - 1600 depending upon how much range time is required. At this point I can either use the bloody thing as a tomato plant pole or drop another 4 large.

Eight months later the prodigal gun returns home. It shoots! The stock is lovely and fits perfectly. Regrettably, the barrels and action now look like faded, worn sheet metal in comparison. And then there are those buggered screws (pins as the Brits say) holding everything together. I call some guy in the rust belt who specializes in case coloring and we discuss re-coloring the action and rust bluing the barrels - he tosses out a number that sounds a lot like $1200. Several weeks later, I receive a call. Cleaning and prep will be a $350 add - and wouldn't it be a shame to do that wonderful case color work on worn engraving. That can be "picked up" for only another $650. Nine months later the rifle comes home and it now represents an investment of something over 12 THOUSAND dollars........

On a really good day, at a really good auction, I bet it will fetch $8500 before a seller's premium. It's a fine madness.

Yep, got to be careful with vintage (or even sometimes newer) double rifles. There are any number of problems which may exist and which will often be difficult for the uninitiated to diagnose. And, when encountered, sorting the matter will become costly. After all, it isn't a Remington 700 for which you can simply order a part from Brownells.

Well it looks like I MIGHT be getting a Sabatti 416 Rigby extractor double!! Just waiting to hear back from the importers with regards to the price. They have been trying to charge me more than the Euro Price?? Dont know how that works when the £ is still stronger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg