Double dilemma!

Mississippian

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Has anyone had the opportunity to handle a Merkel double rifle with shotgun barrels? I’d like some feedback on how it feels in shotgun mode. I sold my Merkel 500 last fall with intentions of attending DSC and shopping for an upgrade. Didn’t make the show and recently ran across a Merkel 500 NE at James Wayne that caught my eye. It has above average wood for a base Merkel and color case hardening which is a big plus! It’s paired with 20 guage shotgun barrels which obviously bumps the price up. I shoot shotguns on occasion and currently don’t have a sxs shotgun. If it balances well I wouldn’t mind paying extra to get into another double rifle and another sxs shotgun. My old Merkel served me well and was as accurate as anyone could hope for. It killed many wild hog, some deer and other vermin and 2 trips to Africa. My other option was to order a Heym 89b. Down side is long wait and after examining the price decided perhaps I should develop a taste for beer on my beer budget! Also considering an 88b. There’s several available on the used market. I’m trying to carve out a little time for a quick trip to get hands on. In the mean time I thought I’d start a discussion to hear other opinions. Thanks for the input!

The pragmatic part of me sees the value of a multi-barreled shotgun set for someone that shoots competitive clays. However, when it comes to game guns, I'd rather have totally separate shotguns and rifles.

But, continuing to argue with myself, a dangerous game rifle should handle like a well-balanced double shotgun and what better way to get quality live practice with your DG double than to slap on some shotgun barrels and shoot a round of sporting clays in the woods including some fur-and-feathers stations...

a dangerous game rifle should handle like a well-balanced double shotgun and what better way to get quality live practice with your DG double than to slap on some shotgun barrels and shoot a round of sporting clays in the woods including some fur-and-feathers stations...
I agree with Rubberhead...

I would not pay Heym prices for a Merkel but if the price with the 20 ga barrels is reasonable, buy it!
Then, shoot, shoot, shoot it on skeet, sporting clays, and upland game. Make that Merkel an extension of you by repetition. Let your subconscious take over...

I actually "Called on That Listing" a couple yrs ago. Really nice wood, receiver contrast.
Went a different direction

I was wondering how James Wayne is to deal with?
MERKEL-Model-140-2-RARE-SAFARI-RIFLE-SHOTGUN-SET_100802956_11243_4C3C4ACE90E6EF19.jpg

It had a good LOP.

I'm rephrasing & may stand incorrect, but I thought a distributer said: A rifle's difference Between the Drop @ Comb/Heel "for sights" is and should be different to a Shotgun.. ?

Best let comment to someone else here ..

They have had this combo for a while. The test target is dated 2019. I have had several email exchanges with James Wayne concerning this rifle and they have been prompt to respond. They offer an inspection period of 3 days. If I had it shipped and decided the shotgun barrels were a total waste I know I’d be out shipping both ways. There may be a restocking fee which I will clarify before proceeding.

It had a good LOP.

I'm rephrasing & may stand incorrect, but I thought a distributer said: A rifle's difference Between the Drop @ Comb/Heel "for sights" is and should be different to a Shotgun.. ?

Best let comment to someone else here ..
That’s my concern as well. I keep reminding myself that gunmakers have been pairing shotgun barrels with double rifles much longer than I’ve been alive so they must have it figured out. The true test is to get the firearm in hand and point at something! If it feels good, points good and I can hit the intended target I’ll gladly pay extra and will put them to use.

That’s my concern as well. I keep reminding myself that gunmakers have been pairing shotgun barrels with double rifles much longer than I’ve been alive so they must have it figured out. The true test is to get the firearm in hand and point at something! If it feels good, points good and I can hit the intended target I’ll gladly pay extra and will put them to use.
Indeed, beautiful set up & simply just a really nice Merkel.
He has a nice inventory, and there seems to be a lot of satisfied customer reviews.

I think the best way to really learn to handle a doublerifle is to book a plains game safari and shoot a truckload of warthogs

Last year I used my Heym 88B in .458 Win to shoot two warthogs in South Africa. Neither were standing still. I also shot a giraffe at 116 yards with that gun.

Prior to that trip I fired 308 rounds in load development and practice. That was 3 pounds of powder and 21 pounds of projectiles!

Trigger time is good...

Mark A and Rigby Mauser, I agree 100%! We have wild hogs in my area. Absolutely the best practice one can get with a double. Typically conducted in challenging terrain for stalking, lots of running shots and reloads with the occasional close quarters charge. I’ve killed hundreds with my doubles.

Update: I purchased the Merkel 500 nitro with shotgun barrels.

James Wayne was excellent to deal with from start to finish. All emails and shipping were prompt and professional. A+ for Ada Adames at James Wayne.

The rifle looks great as in the pictures. The double rifle balances at the hinge and the stock dimensions are perfect for me. I’ve had 3 other Merkel doubles and all have fit well.

Now for the shotgun barrels which was the burning question. As expected it is stock heavy (balances in front of forward trigger) and is about 2 pounds heavier than the “proper” 20 ga weight. The extra weight results in near zero recoil! It feels different when carrying but once shouldered feels perfectly fine to me. There is a weight in the stock that can be removed for shotgun use but to me it’s not worth the hassle. I may remove it just to see the difference but doubt it will become a routine. I ran 2 boxes of shells yesterday shooting clays and missed very few. Originally I was just looking for a 500 nitro. The only one I could find was this one with the shotgun barrels and at this point am very pleased with the addition. They will definitely get used!

Update: I purchased the Merkel 500 nitro with shotgun barrels.

James Wayne was excellent to deal with from start to finish. All emails and shipping were prompt and professional. A+ for Ada Adames at James Wayne.

The rifle looks great as in the pictures. The double rifle balances at the hinge and the stock dimensions are perfect for me. I’ve had 3 other Merkel doubles and all have fit well.

Now for the shotgun barrels which was the burning question. As expected it is stock heavy (balances in front of forward trigger) and is about 2 pounds heavier than the “proper” 20 ga weight. The extra weight results in near zero recoil! It feels different when carrying but once shouldered feels perfectly fine to me. There is a weight in the stock that can be removed for shotgun use but to me it’s not worth the hassle. I may remove it just to see the difference but doubt it will become a routine. I ran 2 boxes of shells yesterday shooting clays and missed very few. Originally I was just looking for a 500 nitro. The only one I could find was this one with the shotgun barrels and at this point am very pleased with the addition. They will definitely get used!
Many Congrats .. That was a beautiful setup!
Also, really Glad to hear James was good to work with .. I contacted E,B @ Merkel/Steyr, they didn't have anything like that one.

I'd love to see it outside of the add photo

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg