Double barrel shot gun choices

Travis2282

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am currently looking to purchase a side by side shotgun in 20ga for quail hunting. I have many over unders but wanting to get more into side by sides. Any recommendations $3k and under?
Thanks, Travis

Winchester Model 23 can be had for right around your range.

I've owned 60 or 70 side by side shotguns but now am down to to less than ten.
My first nice SxS was a Merkel 47E with 28" barrels which I still own. It a 12ga but weighs 6lb 12oz. I've killed Canada Geese with this light shotgun. I much prefer heavier, longer barreled guns for waterfowl.

I like 16 gauges for upland but that's me. I want a Merkel 16/20 which are built on small frames. I want on of those by really 47E is light and handles well.

$3k will get you a decent SxS.
Are you looking for a 6 pound gun or one closer to 7?
Screw in chokes or not?
Do you want modern manufacturing or a vintage gun?
I like the AH Fox to include Sterlingworth in vintage American guns. For English guns, there are many. $3k will get you a nice 12 bore English SxS. The small bores are of course less common and more expensive. I do like the fit and feel of English guns.

There are modern 20 gauges mane by Huglu in Turkey that are okay if finished well.
The CZ Bobwhite may be a decent gun. Here's one for $650.
Probably not magic at that price point but maybe okay.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.27.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.27.38 AM.png
    842 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.27.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.27.42 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.27.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.27.45 AM.png
    683.3 KB · Views: 65
I have several L.C. Smith side by sides in 20 ga and 16 ga. All built in the heyday of side by sides here in the states. They lock up like a bank vault and carry like a dream and are quick to the shoulder. If you shop around you can find them for around $1000.00 give or take. I like em and use em!

0B1A3F87-B91E-487C-90A7-2AACBF578D1D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty shotgun at a good price point? Look at the Dickinson shotguns.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.28.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.28.21 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.28.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 7.28.22 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
Pretty shotgun at a good price point? Look at the Dickinson shotguns.
Agree with Flipper. My Plantation model in 20ga 30” barrels is simply gorgeous and handles like a dream. Gets great reviews as well from the shotgun aficionados.

Find your closest best measurements before committing to any brand. Subtle differences mean I will seldom find an off the rack factory fit. I like a lot of drop, as in the LC Smith mentioned above. Most these day like straighter stocks. Almost all newer guns are straighter stocked. You should have no trouble finding suitable choices in your dollar range. But decide what you are going to use it for as well. 6 lb light field guns are not the choice for high volume clays or shoots. Go heavier in frame for a waterfowl gun is usually good advice. Hands on before purchase, I say.

I have actually been looking at the Dickinson plantation models. They look great but I Havnt known of anyone that owned one. I would prefer screw in chokes. Weight isn’t really a big deal 6-7lbs is fine. At this point I really want a decent enough shotgun to pass down one day also!

If your desire is a modern 20ga w/ choke tubes under 3k, suggest a hard look at FAIR's Iside lineup. Italian made, can be custom specced if you don't mind a bit of a wait.

I have actually been looking at the Dickinson plantation models. They look great but I Havnt known of anyone that owned one. I would prefer screw in chokes. Weight isn’t really a big deal 6-7lbs is fine. At this point I really want a decent enough shotgun to pass down one day also!

I have used a Dickinson Prestige for the last few years. Mine is a 12 gauge though with hand detachable sidelocks. It is a copy of an H&H 7 pin sidelock. I got mine for $2100 but you might be able to get a 20 gauge for $3500 or so.
I shoot about the same scores in trap with it as my Remington 90T.

I picked up a Dickinson Estate in 16 gauge from a seller on this site. Got it for a good price. As new. 1450$ IIRC. Slim 20 gauge frame. Was perfect on pheasant last season.

If you are patient and look hard enough you might be able to find a CSMC RBL. They are great guns. I see most of them hanging out in the 3-4k range but might be able to get one right at 3k if you’re patient.

Another option would be a savage fox. They are somewhat common and can be had for around 1-2k. Just be careful with them and learn what to look for and what to walk away from. They are a good middle of the road option or a good starter sxs.

also with sxs it’s very important to know your measurements. Some of them have some crazy drop on the stocks and it won’t be right for everyone. Another sxs that comes to mind is the browning side by side. A but on the heavy end for a side by side but still a nice gun nonetheless. Good luck and keep us updated on what you get!

Uhh, uhh, I know the right answer...

Joking a little bit. There are a lot of right answers. This is one of them - a 20 gauge Browning BSS sporter...it is my absolute go-to bird gun. I have carried this gun on a lot of walks.

3314708365_04518d497f_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If your desire is a modern 20ga w/ choke tubes under 3k, suggest a hard look at FAIR's Iside lineup. Italian made, can be custom specced if you don't mind a bit of a wait.
I purchased the FAIR Iside Tartaruga with extended tang for my father last year. It’s a nice shotgun for less than 3k

I purchased the FAIR Iside Tartaruga with extended tang for my father last year. It’s a nice shotgun for less than 3k

IMO, there are very few new production doubles in this price range that offer the value that the Iside does.

My 30" 20ga Iside EM weighs in at 5lb 11oz, handles extremely well and is compatible with any factory ammo/shot type I feel like running down it's tubes. It does not possess that "something" that my other vintage doubles do but it also is not as "high maintenance" as they are.

It was mentioned earlier by @Rubi_300 - Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Company (CSMC) RBL is a good choice as is the Fausti DEA.

Both of these are slightly over your $3K limit, but you will get what you pay for. If you could find one used or maybe a demo model, you could save a bit.

I personally own and prefer a Beretta Model 626E 12 gauge (3” Magnum) boxlock ejector (Full/Modified Choke).

My father has used several shotguns over the years, but the only one which he’s always had on his personal license is a W. W. Greener Empire 12 gauge (3” Paper Cased Magnum) boxlock ejector (Full/Full Choke) which he bought brand new from England in 1964 (it’s one of the very last shotguns to be made by W. W. Greener before the company was bought by Webley & Scott in 1965). He still uses that grand old gun against all wildfowl (Pintail ducks in particular), as naturally as if the weapon were an extension of his own body.

Unfortunately, W. W. Greener is no longer manufacturing new shotguns and Beretta discontinued their last side by side model (the 486 Parallelo) in 2022. But they can occasionally be found on the secondhand market at decent prices.

Among currently made shotguns, I believe that you’ll find the Huglu side by sides (made in Turkey) to be decent value for their money and very budget friendly. Too bad these aren’t manufactured with fixed chokes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 9.36.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 9.36.05 AM.png
    838.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 9.36.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 9.36.07 AM.png
    416 KB · Views: 52

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg