Does CZ offer the 404 Jeffery in any other rifle but the safari classic?

Ryanlo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA New Zealand
Has or does CZ offer the 404 Jeffery in any other rifle but the safari classic? Have a great offer to buy one for $1200. Wood looks very nice in the pictures. Comes with ammo as well. I have only seen the classic in 404. But have not been looking to long for one.

What are the details on the $1200 rifle?

Was told it was a CZ 550 in 404. It's on the way to the ffl. Just wanting to see if they made any other CZs in 404

Never seen a CZ 550 Jeffrey .404 for $1200...................plenty for twice that amount.

I payed about $1400 Canadian for mine about 5 years ago, they come out of the custom shop now.

Was told it was a CZ 550 in 404. It's on the way to the ffl. Just wanting to see if they made any other CZs in 404

If it's in good shape, will feed and eject properly, I'd say you've got a good deal!

if its in good condition grab it for $1200 !

Even if it needs a bit of feeding work, it's still a solid deal!

Absolutely a great deal as long as it hasn't been worked on by it's owner. All of the 404's come out of the CZ Custom Shop, typically have McGowen barrels, barrel bands and fancier wood. They start at about $2400 new.

It does have the nicer wood and a barrel band. Should see it sometime this week. Was told 20 rounds down the barrel and one trip to Africa for a buffalo. Little strange. Think if I was going to hunt buffalo I would be shooting that sucker a bunch. I will post pictures when it shows up at my FFL

It does have the nicer wood and a barrel band. Should see it sometime this week. Was told 20 rounds down the barrel and one trip to Africa for a buffalo. Little strange. Think if I was going to hunt buffalo I would be shooting that sucker a bunch. I will post pictures when it shows up at my FFL

It wouldn't be the first person to go on a DG hunt unprepared or afraid of the recoil. What would concern me more if I were buying it was to see if it functions and how it shoots. Not sure if you'll be able to do that or not, but at least try to see how it feeds/ejects.

It wouldn't be the first person to go on a DG hunt unprepared or afraid of the recoil. What would concern me more if I were buying it was to see if it functions and how it shoots. Not sure if you'll be able to do that or not, but at least try to see how it feeds/ejects.

It's coming to me with ammo as well. The guy sending it got it on a impulse by and was to nervous to shoot it. Said it's just siting in the safe. He was not sure if the ammo is reloads or new. Not sure I would want to trust someone else reloading the ammo. All he knows is it was made for the guys trip to Africa for the buffalo. I don't reload yet. Going to try and find someone that does and see if they can pull some apart and figure out what's in them and if there safe to shoot. Don't want to shoot something I have no idea what it is

Look forward to the pics! Ive been kicking around the idea for something like this as well

It's coming to me with ammo as well. The guy sending it got it on a impulse by and was to nervous to shoot it. Said it's just siting in the safe. He was not sure if the ammo is reloads or new. Not sure I would want to trust someone else reloading the ammo. All he knows is it was made for the guys trip to Africa for the buffalo. I don't reload yet. Going to try and find someone that does and see if they can pull some apart and figure out what's in them and if there safe to shoot. Don't want to shoot something I have no idea what it is

I wouldn't trust the handloads either. If that's what they are pull them apart and dump the powder in a hole. You won't be able to tell which powder it is. Take the cases and bullets and start over.

Agree, I'd buy a box of Norma ammunition and start with that. It's not cheap. I'd check feeding, function and extraction. Then I'd make some dummy rounds and do the same. Once I was convinced everything was good I'd start handloading. If you have any feeding/function/extraction issues. I'd send it to Wayne at AHR and have him go through it. He's excellent and reasonable. You've got a great rifle, might need some tweaking, just be patient and you'll be very happy with it.

I have wanted to get into reloading but always nervous with how bad things can go if you mess up doing it.

If you have the money to buy big bore ammo, there's no need. Those Woodleigh 450g soft points and solids are all you need. Woodleigh makes great bullets and Norma makes good ammo using them

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...-grain-woodleigh-weldcore-soft-nose-box-of-10

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/73...0-grain-woodleigh-full-metal-jacket-box-of-10

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 4.57.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 4.57.14 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang. That stuff sure is not cheap. What is a good brand to practice with? I have seen some Hornady for cheaper. There 404 any good?

You'll hear different opinions. I hear Hornady brass is good and their solids are ok. I wouldn't shoot an elk with their DGX expanding bullets never mind a cape buffalo.

As others have said, if it functions well $1200 is a steal. I got mine 3 years ago for $2350 and was very happy with that price as they were retailing for $3200 at the time.

Watch around. Sometimes you can find ammo sales. I picked up some Hornady DGS 404 j at Cabelas the same time I bought the rifle and got them for about 40% off - so about $5 per round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobbinYocu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.