Dip and pack skull, how clean?

My skulls also made it home clean and white, rinse ‘‘em and hang ‘em. But I am a mount lover so have built up a good collection. But as I sit right now, if I hadn’t spent the money on SA taxidermist dip and pack and shipping to my taxidermist in the states, then I would have enough money to turn around and do it again.
I would have only pictures to show, but could launch the next trip.
so it’s a very personal choice, only you can make it.
That's my predicament @Firebird . At 56, this might be my only trip or, do photos and go again .....

@Spearhead well that should give you around 15-20yrs of hunting, you really should be able to do a few more hunts.

I presume you are getting the Zebra rugged in Namibia ?

I'm considering a dip and pack for my first PG trip from august and curious how clean a dip and pack skull is? Eyes, brain's sinuses etc? Just wondering if it's almost a euro or still has all the junk in it.
I ask because of the weight regardless of the significance.
Thank you for any help. Photos may just have to suffice.
It will be very clean but will vary in terms of how "finished" it will look. Some can be very nice and others dingy. I have 14' walls in my trophy room so some of the dingy ones just go up higher!

That's my predicament @Firebird . At 56, this might be my only trip or, do photos and go again .....
Spearhead, I took my first trip to Africa when I was 50 in 2014, since then Ive been 3 more times . I never thought of making multiple trips on my salary but have found a way. My first safari was a remote bush camp in Mozambique ( pretty expensive) the last 3 have been RSA ranch hunts (pretty affordable). So don’t give up on going back. My next trip will hopefully be back to Mozambique or Zambia. Probably my last trip.

From SA they come very clean, otherwise they would not pass Vet. inspection, but they need a little polishing to look real nice.

I only do euro-mounts for space reasons.

Answer may depend on whether the shipment includes any hide or soft tissue. For skulls/horns the tendency in many dip/pack facilities is to over do the boil in something like a chlorox solution which will guarantee acceptance here in the US or through or to EU destination countries. The downside is the process many times comes close to ruining the skull. All in all a tricky business. And it not only involves fed/state entry inspection for legality and health/parasite/disease control… most taxidermists do their best to prevent the possibility of introducing something like dermestid beetles into their shops. They cringe at that possibility. I can’t blame them.

Answer may depend on whether the shipment includes any hide or soft tissue. For skulls/horns the tendency in many dip/pack facilities is to over do the boil in something like a chlorox solution which will guarantee acceptance here in the US or through or to EU destination countries. The downside is the process many times comes close to ruining the skull. All in all a tricky business. And it not only involves fed/state entry inspection for legality and health/parasite/disease control… most taxidermists do their best to prevent the possibility of introducing something like dermestid beetles into their shops. They cringe at that possibility. I can’t blame them.
@fourfive8 I have read lots of follow ups and many guys say the skulls come back chalky and brittle.

@Spearhead well that should give you around 15-20yrs of hunting, you really should be able to do a few more hunts.

I presume you are getting the Zebra rugged in Namibia ?
@Sarg I actually had him caped for a shoulder mount. I had no intention of hunting zebra but it was the animal I was most impressed with hunting. In addition, it was the absolute best meat I have tasted period. I was shocked how delicious it was. Zebra, then eland, then kudu are my top three but Hartmann's zebra wins hands down.

@Sarg I actually had him caped for a shoulder mount. I had no intention of hunting zebra but it was the animal I was most impressed with hunting. In addition, it was the absolute best meat I have tasted period. I was shocked how delicious it was. Zebra, then eland, then kudu are my top three but Hartmann's zebra wins hands down.
My favorite meat also.
The zebra shoulder mounts are the greatest. I'm not much for rugs out of anything.
The pic is of my daughter, 10 years ago with the pedestal mount of her Mt. Zebra. The guy with her is the guy who built her the wood part of the base. The wood came from a 120 year old barn wood from his parents farm when they tore it down. He's known my daughter from birth. So good choice on the shoulder mount.

IMG_3226.JPG

My favorite meat also.
The zebra shoulder mounts are the greatest. I'm not much for rugs out of anything.
The pic is of my daughter, 10 years ago with the pedestal mount of her Mt. Zebra. The guy with her is the guy who built her the wood part of the base. The wood came from a 120 year old barn wood from his parents farm when they tore it down. He's known my daughter from birth. So good choice on the shoulder mount.

View attachment 520626
@outwestidaho that mount is absolutely beautiful. If you have other angle pics I would appreciate it. My plan was to make the base myself out of sinker cypress from lake Pontchartrain a mile from me. That idea of him building for her is outstanding. It's not a base, it's a story too.

Unfortunately we can't watch the boys cleaning up the skulls & some are just crap workers & cook stuff to death, I do my own just so they don't get ruined, add to that the Dip & pack guys can cook them again & over do them .

The more I see Zebra should mounts the more I think I should of gone that way & collect all the subspecies for the wall as I shot a huge Stallion & can't fit the darn skin any where, so been in a box 10yrs.

They come back very clean, but I wouldn’t say all are good for a euro mount. Many get over boiled and especially the nose falls off, sometimes other bone.
Something to consider on leaving your trophies there. If it’s not part of the original quote in Namibia or South Africa, you will pay VAT tax on the trophy fees if you choose not to export them.

Photos and lots of them are good. Photos of everything and everybody, especially locals and camp staff. I'll echo some of the other sentiments here and elsewhere on the subject. Most game there is good eating but I've passed on zebra but assume it is somewhat like horse... which is not bad and I have eaten. Don't overlook zebra as a 1st list PG to hunt. Hunt them in woodland, broken country especially where they have been hunted or where lions are present and they are as sharp and challenging as any PG. Behind good trackers, they can rival eland for challenging, enjoyable hunting. Then no need to hassle with prep/dip/pack/ship of the raw skin.... just buy one there that has been correctly tanned and bring or ship it back. :)

I'm sorry to say that is true, every one wants to scam money out of you on your trophies before you get them home.

My Muskox Skull & Cape will be twice the cost of the hunt & I still don't have them yet 3yrs later, much much worse then Africa, must be very scary on a $100,000 Markhor or Lord Derby, Bongo, Argali ?
Just out of curiosity how much is it supposed to cost to get them home and why is it taking over 3 years?
I almost booked a muskox hunt for 2024 and was planning to do it in 25. But there's no way I'm going to spend multiple thousands to get 1 head and hide home.

Photos and lots of them are good. Photos of everything and everybody, especially locals and camp staff. I'll echo some of the other sentiments here and elsewhere on the subject. Most game there is good eating but I've passed on zebra but assume it is somewhat like horse... which is not bad and I have eaten. Don't overlook zebra as a 1st list PG to hunt. Hunt them in woodland, broken country especially where they have been hunted or where lions are present and they are as sharp and challenging as any PG. Behind good trackers, they can rival eland for challenging, enjoyable hunting. Then no need to hassle with prep/dip/pack/ship of the raw skin.... just buy one there that has been correctly tanned and bring or ship it back. :)
I had absolutely no intention of hunting zebra nor even ever thinking of eating one. I was so wrong wrong wrong. Mtn zebra are not easy. Best meat too.

@outwestidaho that mount is absolutely beautiful. If you have other angle pics I would appreciate it. My plan was to make the base myself out of sinker cypress from lake Pontchartrain a mile from me. That idea of him building for her is outstanding. It's not a base, it's a story too.

I will look and see it's been a while. If not my daughter could probably take some. She's all married now .

Last edited by a moderator:
Cleaning a skull is surprisingly easy.

(1) boil in a pot. Add washing powder, which dissolves the grease. (Don't over-boil or the skull starts to disintegrate.)

(2) soak the skull in hydrogen peroxide, which is available from Amazon. Rather than use a pot, which is a bit extravagant, I use a whole load of women's make-up removal pads, put them on the skull, and soak the pads in peroxide. Useful tip: peroxide is a precursor chemical for homemade explosives.

(3) to brown horns, use potassium permanganate. Most people with dogs have this stuff lying around. It can be painted on fairly liberally. This trick is particularly useful, I have found, with red deer horns which can be very white.

Cleaning a skull is surprisingly easy.

(1) boil in a pot. Add washing powder, which dissolves the grease. (Don't over-boil or the skull starts to disintegrate.)

(2) soak the skull in hydrogen peroxide, which is available from Amazon. Rather than use a pot, which is a bit extravagant, I use a whole load of women's make-up removal pads, put them on the skull, and soak the pads in peroxide. Useful tip: peroxide is a precursor chemical for homemade explosives.

(3) to brown horns, use potassium permanganate. Most people with dogs have this stuff lying around. It can be painted on fairly liberally. This trick is particularly useful, I have found, with red deer horns which can be very white.
Thank you @Major Bonkers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OrenMays0

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.