Dinosaur Hunting Guns: Taking Down T-Rex and Other Extinct Reptiles

I hear ya.
I only have 1 double. My reason for buying one wasnt the normal reason, i dont believe.
Growing up left handed, i always shot right handed rifles. I wasnt as fast at it as a righty of course.
Then when i finally got a left handed rifle, it felt funny.
I finally got a dr in like 2014. Works great for my situation.
I also prefer the range days in winter. So i can wear a jacket. Lefties shooting a right handed rifle will get alot of brass burns in semi autos. Always have to tuck the right elbow under the mag. Its very uncomfortable!
But growing up a lefty in my time will screw u up !
Im a lefty, but due to what i could find? I still throw baseballs with my right ( never could find a glove as a kid ).
My cousin is a lefty. When we were doing windows for a living, working with him was great. We could avoid using ladders on tall houses, because I could hang out one side and work and he would do the other. So there are definitely perks to being a lefty. But until here in the past 15 years or so, pistols finally have reversible mag releases and ambi. Slide stop levers. That same cousin has always carried Glocks like me, and just dealt with it.

My cousin is a lefty. When we were doing windows for a living, working with him was great. We could avoid using ladders on tall houses, because I could hang out one side and work and he would do the other. So there are definitely perks to being a lefty. But until here in the past 15 years or so, pistols finally have reversible mag releases and ambi. Slide stop levers. That same cousin has always carried Glocks like me, and just dealt with it.
I hear ya ! Nothing like trying to speed load a sa or use a speed loader with your right hand. Lol

Having just read the whole thread, I'm not sure we're talking about sport hunting. Taking down a T Rex & other extinct reptiles. I'm not sure we're sport hunting here. At any rate my choice would be a flame thrower similar to what was used in WW2. I have seen documentaries of WW2 with a flame thrower in action. Spooky, I want to survive I think a flame thrower would increase my chances survival considerably!

Just to kill it...... .50 caliber machinegun with multi-purpose ammo..

Sport hunting.... a .600 double regulated for the .600-110-900 load.. Roland style..

Some responders must be trying to be funny. A T. rex was the size of an African elephant. It's brain was smaller than an elephant's but its peripheral nervous system would be roughly the same. Because of its bipedal posture, its heart/lung area would be at least as vulnerable as an elephant's. Therefore a .375 H and H magnum or larger should prove adequate. If a person concludes that such an animal requires flame throwers, anti-tank rounds, napalm bombs or 50 caliber automatic weapons means that he has been watching too many movies or, worse, that he believes that Spielberg is the bearer of celluloid truth.

Some responders must be trying to be funny. A T. rex was the size of an African elephant. It's brain was smaller than an elephant's but its peripheral nervous system would be roughly the same. Because of its bipedal posture, its heart/lung area would be at least as vulnerable as an elephant's. Therefore a .375 H and H magnum or larger should prove adequate. If a person concludes that such an animal requires flame throwers, anti-tank rounds, napalm bombs or 50 caliber automatic weapons means that he has been watching too many movies or, worse, that he believes that Spielberg is the bearer of celluloid truth.
I clearly stated survival NOT sport hunting. Wanting to survive I chose a flame thrower not a firearm! I wasn't out to hang a trophy on the wall, but go home that night.
I also have a lot of respect for the .375 H&H Mag. A Professional hunter told me the .375 is effective above it's paper ballistics. Having shot deer & Elk with one, I believe him! Penetration is awesome!
Thanks.
Thanks!

Having just read the whole thread, I'm not sure we're talking about sport hunting. Taking down a T Rex & other extinct reptiles. I'm not sure we're sport hunting here. At any rate my choice would be a flame thrower similar to what was used in WW2. I have seen documentaries of WW2 with a flame thrower in action. Spooky, I want to survive I think a flame thrower would increase my chances survival considerably!
A flamer would be fine in close-quarters but at range it takes a fair amount of work to actually aim one of those things correctly. It's not as point-and-shoot as a rifle was. My dad qualified Expert Marksman with one when he was in the US Army and we've never encountered anyone else from the Chemical Corps with that qualification. A lot of vets didn't even know there WAS a flamethrower bar for marksmanship.

If we're talking a T-rex or any other massive theropod, the 14.5x114mm would be good, a 20mm even more so. Denel here I come! Massive sauropods like the brach, probably the same, but when it comes to the long-necks, you'd really need to worry about all that blood flow and how long it would take it to die.

Smaller sauropods and theropods, depending on the species (stego, trike, para, etc), your typical nitro express or even BPE would probably work fine. As you go down the scale, you'd be better off with the assorted heavier stuff in the .30-.45-cal range.

For an actual light-boned velociraptor, think your average gazelle, or more likely an ostrich or emu. You wouldn't need much, I don't think; rifled shotgun slug would work fine.

And as for pterosaurs... very light bones, likely pretty thin skin. Delicate creatures.

Might be fun to trap them. Kinda like wild hogs, then sit back and shoot them at your leisure with any caliber on hand. What a bizarre thread lol

My concern would be about the effects of small arms on large mobile reptiles. Warm blooded critters have a quick to die CNS, but I have seen a snapping turtle’s head deliver nasty bites a half hour after being removed. I think the key with dinos would have been immobilization & precision CNS strike (more like super sized croc than an elephant).

Ok, the .375 H&H Magnum it is!
Now let's talk ammo! If we're going to break him down & immobilize him, I suggest a 300gr solid, they will penetrate!

Of all the dinosaurs, I'd say the hardest to kill would be the sauropods. You could maybe get a brain shot if they lower their heads down for a drink but if you miss, you're dead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg