Dies, OAL and technical stuff

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Ive, been loading maybe 25 years, slowly trying to accumulate a few better things. I have one cartridge that I think I have seated to for out simply by using the manual listed way of screwing the die down, back a 1/4 turn, test it fits etc. I think I have one lot of .243 with the projectile a little out and it’s sitting on the lands and I will take a measurement.
I’ve been reading on die types from the simple Lee collet neck sizer dies to the various competition dies with bushings and micrometers. It seems the micrometer is redundant once set unless intending to adjust or vary depth regularly or set different projectiles in that die using a pre determined measure.

I don’t think hunters need hair splitting accuracy or clover leafs and I am not chasing perfection but I would be happy to brag if I was getting 1/2 Moa from a hunting load. 3/4 to an inch is probably sufficient bigger than that I would wonder if I can improve.

What methods do people use? Coal gauges, dies, measures?
How far do you go if you have a rifle that may be used at 300 or you just want an accurate rifle?

Nunca consideres que un rifle de caza debe tener la precisión de un rifle de francotirador. Mi rifle tiene el primer cero a 25 metros y el segundo a 125 metros, me alcanza y tiene más que suficiente para cazar ...
If at 100 meters it groups in 8 cm, for hunting it is good.

Last edited:
To improve precision I play with the OAL. I also perform partial total recalibration. Take out the pin to remove the primer and I remove the primer by blow, the reason is so that the neck expander of the die in conjunction with the pin to remove the primer does not produce a deconcentricity in the neck of the sheath. I make these reloads for shooting practice.
They are not very sophisticated methods but the results are good for what I do. For hunting it reaches me and it exceeds.

Ive, been loading maybe 25 years, slowly trying to accumulate a few better things. I have one cartridge that I think I have seated to for out simply by using the manual listed way of screwing the die down, back a 1/4 turn, test it fits etc. I think I have one lot of .243 with the projectile a little out and it’s sitting on the lands and I will take a measurement.
I’ve been reading on die types from the simple Lee collet neck sizer dies to the various competition dies with bushings and micrometers. It seems the micrometer is redundant once set unless intending to adjust or vary depth regularly or set different projectiles in that die using a pre determined measure.

I don’t think hunters need hair splitting accuracy or clover leafs and I am not chasing perfection but I would be happy to brag if I was getting 1/2 Moa from a hunting load. 3/4 to an inch is probably sufficient bigger than that I would wonder if I can improve.

What methods do people use? Coal gauges, dies, measures?
How far do you go if you have a rifle that may be used at 300 or you just want an accurate rifle?
@CBH Australia
Chris I use a Lee press and dies and produce good ammo.
I mainly full length size and to determine COAL I just seat a projectile in the case and chamber it. This pushes the projectile into the case and leaves land marks on the bullet. Measure the marks and subtract another 30 to 50 thou depending on the distance you want from the lands.
e.g. COAL llenght with marks 3 inch
Land marks 0.10 long
You want the bullet 50 thou off the lands the
3- 0.10= 2.9
2.9- 0.050= 2.85 coal.
Quick and simple.
I use a collet die for my 303 and sometimes for the 308.
With the 303 depending on the projectile the collet die m at not be small enough so I run the neck into a 308 die and job done.
Bob

To measure the OAL, make this tool which is a copy of the Hornady
Medidor-de-OAL-1.jpg
Medidor-de-OAL-3.jpg
Medidor-de-OAL-4.jpg
Medidor-de-OAL-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I start with book OAL, and work from there. Once I have a load my rifle likes, then I'll tweak and play with the OAL (in/out). I shoot a lot of Weatherby calibers, and they are notorious for their free bore, so being close to the lands is not an option with Weatherbys. If it fits in the magazine and it is within book specs I'm good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross