Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
Its time to start the airfare booking process for my families safari next August (Kansas City to Joburg). I have flown Delta several times from ATL to Europe without an issue, but the older I get the more comfort I like so we are looking into deltas comfort plus seating. This upgrade will add $400 to each ticket for a total of $1200, we could use that money for additional animals which leads me to consider South African Air. Is SAA on par with Delta, if you have flown SAA would you recommend them?

In 2013 I flew on Lufthansa from here to Germany. From Germany to Jo'burg and back to Germany was on SAA. I thought the service and food was better than Lufthansa and would fly on their airline again.

That said, if you can check in on Delta in KC, while your guns will have to change airplanes at least they're still with the same airline. You won't have to deal with any issues in NYC if go that route on SAA. Nor would you have to deal with the stop in Senegal if you go through D.C.

Art,,

I am from the US, but currently live in Lagos, Nigeria. I fly Delta to the US about 2 or 3 times a year and they do an okay job. I fly SAA from Lagos to Joburg and they do a good job, as they do on the flights from JNB to Zim or Namibia that I've been on. No issues at all flying SAA. However, if I'm flying from the US to JNB and cost and time is a factor, Delta from ATL to JNB is the way to go. Do the Economy Comfort upgrade and get seats in the center section. Delta uses a Boeing 777 with seating in economy being 3-3-3. If you get seats on the side, people will be climbing over you or you will be climbing over them to get up. The center section is the place to be, in my opinion. Actually, business class is the place to be. :)

Dave

SAA has more comfortable seats and better service. In my opinion it is a more professionally run operation than Delta. I flew them from joburg to Bulawayo and wished that I wasn't getting on a delta flight afterwards.

I have flown both numerous times and the only thing I like Delta better is no stop at Senegal. Other than that I couldn't see much difference.

The stop in Senegal can be a pain on SAA. Spent 24 hours on that flight once and it was enough for me to use Delta since then. I like to have air blowing in my face and to be able to control it. So far you can still do that on Delta. Not sure if this is a Boeing vs. Airbus thing or not. I don't like the climate controlled cabins, with no control of the air.

They keep jacking up the fares on the economy comfort. Bummer. Get economy comfort for you and the wife and stick the kid(I presume) behind you.:whistle: If you set in the last row of economy comfort on the isle and have your kid directly behind you it shouldn't be to bad (depending on age). Tell them it is worth a warthog or impala! Not sure if that will work with the wife.:sneaky:

SAA is perfectly fine. I just prefer Delta.

Art,
Delta all the way. The economy comfort upgrade I got for my son Bryson was well worth the $200 each way on this last hunt. You should select center seats as suggested already.....just don't get the first row in Economy Comfort as overhead bin space is limited. They feed you well and you get all the bourbon you want. Go on seatguru.com to look at the pros and cons on Deltas Boeing 777 for each seat. It's worth the look so you know where the bothersome things will impact you trip....like lavatory doors, bulkheads and galley noise .
The real value here is that your guns are checked at MCI all the was to JNB. Remember to put ammo in checked baggage.....I put small TSA lock on the ammo box. I used Rifle Permits.com and they did a great Job. If you have to catch another flight from JNB to somewhere else in SA the speed is worth it. I also got the upgraded service where they met us at the jet bridge and took us straight to the front of the line at passport control. Five minutes at passport then five minutes in the police station to pick up the rifles and we were off to the truck for the ride!

Delta's ban on shipping trophies is an issue with my group, we would prefer to support companies that support us. SAA is the front runner so far but if Delta comes to their scenes and starts shipping trophies again thing may change. Please keep the advice coming and thanks for the help

SAA isnt much better, they banned trophies for a while (still maybe?).

i flew Delta in May and then SAA in September and i would say my Delta trip was MUCH better. the TV screens on the SAA planes didnt work and the planes were dirty. the seats on the SAA flight were also too small for my butt so unless your skinny you wont be comfortable. i flew JetBlue to and from WA state and that was also a mistake! JetBlue didnt like guns and gave me more then a little bit of trouble on my return flight causing me to nearly miss my flight back to WA!

i would like to go back to Africa next year and when i do so it will be on a Delta flight.

-matt

Matt I remember you saying over dinner that the SAA seats were small and that the plane was not clean. I also remember that all was very fresh in your mind when you discussed all the points you just made. Good point about SAA banning trophies for awhile as well. You experienced with your guns exactly what I have tried to avoid on all three of my trips....having to claim guns and check to another airline. With Delta you just check them through all the way going and reclaim in Atlanta coming home from TSA then right back to Delta for the flight home!
Knock on wood I've not had any trouble with Delta!

From Canada Delta saves me a day travel time. Every other option goes through Europe which effectively adds an extra day or JFK which I refuse to take a gun through. Last year I did economy comfort at $240 , this year at $520 I said screw it and didn't notice much difference and saved enough for another animal. I don't like their trophy policy and may just avoid them next year.

Close to the same, but for about $100-300 more roundtrip, I would say Delta. Delta its direct from ATL, on SAA, you have to go through Washington or New York, (usually a hassle) and coming back most likely stop In Dakar, which is not pleasant when they come on the plane spraying disinfectant. I would recommend Delta for virtually the same price

Reactions: lcq
I flew SSA last May on my safari to SA. I connected with them in New York Kennedy International and had Lori at Travel Express take care of my arrangements.

I am 6'5" and 230 pounds and found the seats on the SSA aircraft quite ample, the food was good and the plane was clean. I would fly them again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeanna9950

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.