Delta Update

A friend of mine who flies for Delta and will be flying the A350, said the A350 doesn't have the legs to fly non stop to Jburg with a full load. Its going to either have less cargo and passengers, or have to stop somewhere. He doesn't understand why Delta got rid of the 777.

This is what I am wondering. How can they charge these prices? Premium Economy about the same as Qatar Business!

Agreed. These prices are ridiculous. And for an inferior product.

Time constrained business travelers and those with millions of Skymiles. That and those whose comfort zone precludes them from flying on a foreign flag carrier.

Those travelers will burn those millions of miles quick at 950k per round trip in Delta One.

Delta is my preferred airline in the USA, but I think I'll stick with middle eastern carriers for Africa trips.

A friend of mine who flies for Delta and will be flying the A350, said the A350 doesn't have the legs to fly non stop to Jburg with a full load. Its going to either have less cargo and passengers, or have to stop somewhere. He doesn't understand why Delta got rid of the 777.
Me either

Simple fix, More fuel, less cargo & passengers, same MTOW. The ULR has an enhanced aerodynamic package. The fuel tanks are the same size. The previous JNB-CPT-ATL flights were such that the passenger and cargo load plus the required fuel to go nonstop exceeded MTOW. Now they're tankering more fuel to make it nonstop. Here's what it boils down to, it's expensive because passengers are paying more to cover the loss of cargo revenue and the cost of the extra fuel. It's the Delta bean counters at work. Time will tell whether their beans are more or less.
Good explanation and it does make sense on prices

More efficency.

The A350-900 and -1000 series demonstrate significant fuel burn reductions over previous generation aircraft. The A350-900 has a 17.5% lower burn per ASM compared to the 777- 200ER, while the A350-1000 has a 11% lower burn per ASM than the 777-300ER.

Having flown SAA, Delta, BA, Emirates and Qatar I personally couldn't tell much difference in any of them when flying coach to South Africa. I thought Qatar was more of a hassle because of having to go through security and a customs of sort when just transiting through Doha on return, they were also more of a hassle getting my bow rechecked at Houston. On Emirates they also didn't know what to do with the bow on return landing at Seattle they were so so screwed up that I missed my connector flight to Missoula. Delta has been the most hassle free for me, but I'll fly what ever is the best deal and save the money for the hunt.

Is anyone booked on an upcoming delta ATL to JNB flight?

I’m booked for the 20th and I hope it’s a go. I think they are actually supposed to start flying August 1.

Has anyone heard differently?

I’m booked for the 20th and I hope it’s a go. I think they are actually supposed to start flying August 1.

My suggestion is that you download the delta app to your phone and check your reservations everyday. My recent trip was a mess because of Delta. Multiple changes that I had to find out myself. Have a back up plan in place.

I just now looked. Everything is ago for My departure on 13AUG2021. Flights have changed a few times since My original booking but have remained in tac for the past 5 weeks.

My suggestion is that you download the delta app to your phone and check your reservations everyday. My recent trip was a mess because of Delta. Multiple changes that I had to find out myself. Have a back up plan in place.
Multiple changes???? Sounds like the Delta variant.

I looked at the seat availability for a mid August round trip ATL-JNB flight, a lot of seats still open.

I looked at the seat availability for a mid August round trip ATL-JNB flight, a lot of seats still open.
There should be for the cost of their seats and there service should be free

I'm done with Delta, Ethiopian Air worked well in late May return mid June. United and its inability to keep me booked without changing departure dates made it worthless this year!

Well. The Atl to JNB flight is in the air. Hopefully they continue with the flights as scheduled from here on out.

Reactions: WAB
I sure hope so. I'm scheduled to board on the 13AUG21..

Well. The Atl to JNB flight is in the air. Hopefully they continue with the flights as scheduled from here on out.
I am getting ready to book tickets to Africa. Does anyone have any feedback on the resumed Delta service from Atlanta to Johannesburg?

Last edited:
I am getting ready to book tickets to Africa. Does anyone have any feedback on the resumed Delta service from Atlanta to Johannesburg?
As far as I know the flights are operating now. I was tracking the flights on flight aware at the beginning on the month.

I’m supposed to fly out Friday. I’ll let you know how that goes.

I recently flew the United route to JNB in Polaris class. All flights were on time and traveling With guns was not a problem. Ticket costs were half of delta. Other than the covid service restrictions on the plane everything else was fine. I would do it again.

Mark,
I'm sitting on my bed at my outfitters lodge. No trouble with the flight out of ATL DL200. I upgraded to premium. Not bad last time over it was on the 777 cattle car. As has been mentioned before. Not the cheapest way to get here. I just didn't want the hassle of flying through another country. ATL to JNB was the way to go for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeniseDapl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross