Delta Update

this is country logic dont understand that if 777 are one of most profitable flights for delta and they just up fitted some and would imagine being older plane might actually be paid off so why order new planes this reminds one who owns a reliable used car that is paid off with many years left of service performs well and you sell it just to have a new car.airlines have traditionally been one of the worst run businesses and subsidized .for me hunting in limpopo then driving 4 hrs to Jonesburg airport then fly to cape town lay over and fly back to atlanta in one day its going to take one heck of a great package hunt deal or some ungodly strong sleeping pills for me to return

this is country logic dont understand that if 777 are one of most profitable flights for delta and they just up fitted some and would imagine being older plane might actually be paid off so why order new planes this reminds one who owns a reliable used car that is paid off with many years left of service performs well and you sell it just to have a new car.airlines have traditionally been one of the worst run businesses and subsidized .for me hunting in limpopo then driving 4 hrs to Jonesburg airport then fly to cape town lay over and fly back to atlanta in one day its going to take one heck of a great package hunt deal or some ungodly strong sleeping pills for me to return
They are not, nor were they ever approved by RSA, flying the Capetown triangle route. They are flying the A350 nonstop. On the return they are diverting from time to time due to running low on fuel. They have to load less cargo for the return as well. I am told they are selling tickets for 7 days a week but actually cancelling most and only flying 3 days a week.
I may look at Delta again next year but this year is rolling the dice.

Info from FlightAware seems to indicate the Delta 200/201 flights between ATL and JNB are currently not 7 days a week. Flt 200 is Sun/Wed/Fri and Flt 201 is Mon/Thurs/Sat. For the last week of January, the return flight (201) has made it non-stop and looks to be about 17 hrs.

1643804945119.png

1643804991559.png

Just one man's opinion, Delta is a "woke" airline and we should all refuse to fly it to Africa.

Info from FlightAware seems to indicate the Delta 200/201 flights between ATL and JNB are currently not 7 days a week. Flt 200 is Sun/Wed/Fri and Flt 201 is Mon/Thurs/Sat. For the last week of January, the return flight (201) has made it non-stop and looks to be about 17 hrs.

View attachment 450296

View attachment 450298
It will be interesting to see if they start flying more days of the week as this year is supposedly going to be a good year for the hunting industry.
With all the postponed hunts being moved back to 2022 and all of the new bookings from the recent shows, there should be enough travelers heading over to justify and warrant more flights, but time will tell.

It will be interesting to see if they start flying more days of the week as this year is supposedly going to be a good year for the hunting industry.
With all the postponed hunts being moved back to 2022 and all of the new bookings from the recent shows, there should be enough travelers heading over to justify and warrant more flights, but time will tell.

Let's hope so. I'll be flying out of Atlanta on Delta in May.

According to this graph, tourism is on the upswing, albeit nowhere close to pre-Chinese virus numbers.

Let's hope so. I'll be flying out of Atlanta on Delta in May.
If you don't mind me asking, what day of the week are you currently scheduled for departure? Mine is in late June and on a Thursday, so I will be watching to see if they change your flight to another day.

I'll be leaving on 25 May, which is a Wednesday. :)

I leave June 4th, which is a Saturday. As it stands right now, I have to have a PCR test within 48 hours to get into Zimbabwe on a flight out of Johannesburg. I had already moved my flight from the 5th to the 4th so I could test in South Africa because there was no way I could test in time for that flight if I left on the 5th. So now I might have to leave 1 day earlier if this stays true going into June. I'm glad I saw this update. At least I can make a plan instead of it just being thrown in my lap last minute.

Leaving 18 May Wednesday - Spokane, Atlanta, JNB
Covid Test in US to leave, another at JNB Airport to get into Zimbabwe.

Return 30 May Monday
Covid Test at Victoria Falls to get back same way

View attachment 450296

View attachment 450298
17 hours on the return and you may get diverted to Boston! No thanks. They should have kept the 777.

17 hours on the return and you may get diverted to Boston! No thanks. They should have kept the 777.
It's all part of the adventure, and it's still better than that 141 we road on when we took the "milk run" over to Japan, or the 130 to the Philippines. :P Pilot:

Quick question for anyone that has had to layover night in Joburg. Did you have to get another pcr test or did they accept your American one for the next flight out of joburg? Thanks all. May 3rd heading to Namibia for leopard. Newark to joburg via united.

@Philip Glass it's like that old Kingston Trio song, "The Man Who Never Returned"

Well did he ever return?
No he never returned
And his fate is still unlearned (what a pity)
He may ride forever
'Neath the streets of Boston
He's the man, who never returned

Quick question for anyone that has had to layover night in Joburg. Did you have to get another pcr test or did they accept your American one for the next flight out of joburg? Thanks all. May 3rd heading to Namibia for leopard. Newark to joburg via united.
Good question. Wondering this myself….

Good question. Wondering this myself….
The countries are changing these rules frequently enough that what was necessary last month doesn’t necessarily apply today! However, in June 2021 I flew to Joberg I took the PCR test the day before I flew (Wednesday). Left on Thursday. Landed on Friday evening in Joberg. Took off for Namibia on Saturday am—didn’t need another test because at the time Namibia required a 72 hour result. I landed in Namibia at 10 am and my test was 65 hours old.

May also be different if you land then overnight then fly within SA as opposed to then flying to Namibia.

Well Delta is out for me it looks like. The triangle route was approved. This means the return from JNB will be about 19 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross