Delta Update

This is from Delta website just now. This one was $1046.
$1046 is for BASIC seating, which is up to you. I prefer to select MAIN.
delta7.png

Upgrade to MAIN and you can select your seat and board in groups. The price for going MAIN on the dates you selected.
delta6.png

Today, for a flight from SLC to Joberg leaving on June 5 and returning June 25 on Delta, going through Atlanta both ways, is $4384 in the main cabin. To get it down below 3k, you have to go through Heathrow and on the flight coming back, it's a 9 hour layover there. For comparison, we paid $3600 for premium select for that same flight months ago. I know it's getting close to our departure date but come on, it's not that close and those kinds of prices are stupidly ridiculous.

Today, for a flight from SLC to Joberg leaving on June 5 and returning June 25 on Delta, going through Atlanta both ways, is $4384 in the main cabin. To get it down below 3k, you have to go through Heathrow and on the flight coming back, it's a 9 hour layover there. For comparison, we paid $3600 for premium select for that same flight months ago. I know it's getting close to our departure date but come on, it's not that close and those kinds of prices are stupidly ridiculous.
Yes these prices are stupid and they are not even filling the planes! This is why I’m on Qatar in Business for around $4500.(last year Was $4000)

What about taking the Covid test in South Africa before boarding the flight to return to the U.S.? When it was three days prior to the flight in 2021, it was doable. Now that it is one day, I'm not sure how much faith I have in the South African pharmacies to get the test done that quickly. Is taking a test at the JNB airport an option before boarding Delta? What have others been doing to comply with this requirement in 2022?
covid test at the airport in SA 15 min and 18 dollars 280 rand, also as of 4-20 we had the test and was never asked about it upon returning to the US, money wasted

I was just on flight aware and it does appear that this flight is now going daily. Someone had mentioned that they were told it would go daily sometime around the 24th of May and it looks like it did just that. So now it will be interesting to see if it gets canceled often due to lack of customers or if it keeps going due to strong customer demand.

Flew on Delta 25 May, and the flt was packed, just a handful of empty seats. BTW, it’s a brand new Airbus A350, very nice aircraft.

SA accepted my Vacc certificate with QR code, from the web site posted on the forum, no issues at all. Have to wear mask at the airport.

Delta has moved departure times on DL 200 and DL201 back. I am booked on them for my Namibia and South Africa hunts for next June. This does not help me at all.

Your New Flight Info
5573-1-red-line.png
FLIGHT/DATE
DEPART
ARRIVE
Delta 1316
Tue, June 6​
San Antonio, Texas
12:00 pm​
Atlanta, Georgia
3:26 pm​
UPDATE - CHANGE
Delta 200
Tue, June 6​
Atlanta, Georgia
9:40 pm​
Johannesburg
7:00 pm
** Wed, June 7​
Previous Schedule​
Atlanta, Georgia
7:05 pm​
Johannesburg
4:30 pm
** Wed, June 7​
UPDATE - CHANGE
Delta 201
Wed, June 28​
Johannesburg
10:55 pm​
Atlanta, Georgia
9:05 am
** Thu, June 29​
Previous schedule​
Johannesburg
9:55 pm​
Atlanta, Georgia
8:15 am
** Thu, June 29​

This was a bit of a nuance to us for next June as well. I had to change our connecting flight on our way home to a little bit later because there was no way I was going to chance it with only an hour and a half to get through customs and get to the gate. What sucked the most was the later departure heading to Joberg now gives me almost 5 hours in Atlanta to have to kill. Even with the delta lounge, it will still suck.

This was a bit of a nuance to us for next June as well. I had to change our connecting flight on our way home to a little bit later because there was no way I was going to chance it with only an hour and a half to get through customs and get to the gate. What sucked the most was the later departure heading to Joberg now gives me almost 5 hours in Atlanta to have to kill. Even with the delta lounge, it will still suck.
I will have a 12 hour layover in April at Atlanta unless I go to Chicago or Minn either way 12 hours

With a 12 hour layover I'd look into arriving the day before and booking a hotel room for a real good nights rest before that 15 hour flight.

That is if if it possible with your time frame.

As I get older I try to get things to work for me instead of against me.

940 pm departure, I would be tempted to drive to Atlanta that morning just to take 1 less chance of them screwing up the luggage / rifle

Delta will change those times as well-at least once before June gets here. . .

Has anyone been on Delta 201 (return) lately? Was it JNB -ATL nonstop or did it stop in Cape Town? It appears to be running nonstop but I keep hearing about the CPT stop.

Data from FlightAware for the last several days of Delta Flt 201. 17 long, long hours JNB-ATL

1683378849520.png

1683378914103.png

Just looked on the Delta website and they are offering a non stop from ATL-CPT, Flight 210. Appears to be only Monday, Thursday and Saturday. However, the return flight is CPT-JNB-ATL or other options through France, Amsterdam, etc.

1683379483314.png

1683379761347.png

CORRECTION! Apparently there is a nonstop from CPT to ATL. DAL 211

1683380381406.png

1683380289546.png

1683380337764.png

Last edited:
17 definitely LONG HOURS! On a return flight a few years ago, there was a food service strike…UGH! Boarded then sat for two hours. All we had on the 19 hrs of sitting was free boos and all the junk food you could stand! Miserable flight!
But at least it was a great hunt!

When I booked my flight last October the triangle route option was there. Went out of my way to schedule the return flight to avoid it. It doesn't look like they are doing that now. In fact, if you try and book a return flight from Atlanta to cape town, on those days that they don't fly out of Cape Town back to Atlanta, they do a connecting flight in joberg on flight 201. For the first leg, they are using Airlink to get you to joberg to then fly to Atlanta. Very strange that they'd rather fly you back to joberg to then get on a half empty plane than to take off from joberg and refuel and pick those passengers up in cape Town.

The triangle route was supposed to be seasonal but I don't see it in any month I've looked at now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross