Decent middle of the road optics for my .375?

Leopold VX3 2.5-8 works brilliantly on my .375 H&H.

I have taken buff at 25m, and gemsbok at 250m....

Price is reasonable and they are tough..:)

Ado

I looked at the VX1 & 2 and could not really tell a difference, other than the VX 1 is about $100 cheaper. Is there a concern with the VX1 that makes it inappropriate as a scope in these circumstances?

Pheroze,

In general, the difference between the VX1, 2, and 3 Leupold scopes is the quality of the glass and lens coatings. Those are important elements in the ability of the scope to transmit available light. The more available light a scope can transmit will offer you a better sight picture at critical hunting times such as dawn and dusk.

Good hunting to you!

I'm in agreement with Big 5, there are slight differences, you get what you pay for every time. You pay for quality.

Leupold my vote.... then Vortex. Good glass, good price, Lifetime warranty.

Also take a close look at the Burris Fullfield II line. Tough as nails, as per testing of John Barsness. Great customer service as per the only time I have had a problem. Great optics, resolution, and light gathering, as per my low light testing on a dark, rainy March afternoon four years ago. I was Leupold and only Leupold for thirty years. Then I opened my eyes and saw there were other options out there for what I opine to be equal quality for a lot less money.

I have a fixed 4x Leupold on my 375 and in several trips to Africa, has been all I need.

I will tell you, however, I purchased a Swaro 3.5x10 off ebay, new for a bit less than $400 for my 338 Win Mag and it is an excellent scope for the $

I will tell you, however, I purchased a Swaro 3.5x10 off ebay, new for a bit less than $400 for my 338 Win Mag and it is an excellent scope for the $

Congrats, WOW what a great deal.

I got an exceedingly good deal on a VX2 3-9 and it is now on top of my .375. Any of the scopes suggested would be a good candidate. I am toying with the idea of a 1.5-5 to put on my .416.

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10 on my Browning X Bolt .375 H&H..... It's a champ!

Sorry for the thread hijack but...
This really shows the difference between north european hunters and american hunters. I guess it's because we hunt alot more in low light conditions here.

We really need the better quality glass as most of our hunting take place at first or last light or even by moonlight.

Personally I class the Leupold as an instep model and not something I would put on a rifle above 22lr. But then I have only bad experience with leupolds. Even if the customer service and warranty is great I would prefer not to have to use it...

Just some thoughts, but it is interesting to see the difference.

As a side note I'm a bit of an optics geek and love high quality glass. You only cry once when you buy the high quality stuff but the scope will last a lifetime.

http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...st-and-found--zeiss-riflescope-in-norway.html

Not trying to be a smartass here but I've yet to pay over $400. for the several used Zeiss 4x scopes that I have gathered over the years.
The other side of that coin is that, Until about 12 or 13 years ago, all I ever used for rifle scopes and binoculars both, were Leupold, Weaver (and one Burris on my .22 Hornet).
Somehow or another and in spite of that, I never missed a shot at anything I fired upon due to the brand of scope.
However, in low light, (half hour after sunset and half hour before sunrise, also peering down into very steep/dark brush choked canyons, I totally agree with Timt that the Leupold scopes are not as "crisp" as some of the Austro-German scopes are, including the very affordable 4x ones I like so well).

In Poland can be hunt at night. I use rifle scope Leupold 3-9 x 50. I think this is a good rifle scope for night hunting.
Witold

Savage Hunter I agree with you, that is the difference that I find interesting.

In Sweden where I do most of my hunts we deal with some extremes when it comes to our gear, think Alaska. From -30 celsius to +30 celsius(going inside) plays havoc with scopes.

If I did only daytime hunts in moderate temperature ranges I would most probably be happy with a leupold and wouldn't have looked any further.

But now I do close to 75% of my hunting/shooting the hour before sunrise or one hour after sunset or by moonlight and the difference for me is astronomical.

For the conditions I hunt in the leupolds just don't cut it. That doesn't mean that they don't work for other types of hunting and they seem to work for alot of people so there is nothing wrong with them.

That is why I like this forum, to compare "my" way of hunting and the gear I use under the conditions I hunt in with other peoples experience on their chosen turf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leopold VX3 2.5-8 works brilliantly on my .375 H&H.

I have taken buff at 25m, and gemsbok at 250m....

Price is reasonable and they are tough..:)

Ado

I have to agree this is one of the best all round affordable options available to put on your ALL PURPOSE African rifle.

I have a couple and they are indestructible IMO.

My best always

TimT...... Look through the new Leupold VX-6.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg