Dealing with wounded Cape buffalo

I would remove the scope from my semi-custom CZ 550 .458 Lott and use either a 500gr Barnes or 500gr Woodleigh solids, depending on which bullet my PH requested. I do not own a double rifle.

I would remove the scope from my semi-custom CZ 550 .458 Lott and use either a 500gr Barnes or 500gr Woodleigh solids, depending on which bullet my PH requested.

Agreed. For me, rifles are more dynamic and point more quickly with the scope removed.

Out of the 5 (4 bulls , 1 cow) I have taken two required follow up. I still had the 458 Lott loaded with same round as first. 500 gr Swift Aframes. PH carry's a double in 500 NE with solids. Last Buff took a total of 7 or 8 rounds to stay down. You never know I found out how one will react and how many rounds they can take. We will see how number 6 goes in April.

Wow! 11 shots from a .470 NE, 7 or 8 rounds from a .500NE and/or .458 Lott. You guys are scaring me! LOL I thought I might be able to hunt ONE buffalo in my lifetime, but now I'm not so sure. I would have thought ONE 400gr. bullet from my .416 Rigby or ONE 500gr. bullet from my .458 Lott through the HEART would be sufficient but guess not. Guess I'll have to practice for a head shot if I ever have a chance to hunt a buffalo?

Wow! 11 shots from a .470 NE, 7 or 8 rounds from a .500NE and/or .458 Lott. You guys are scaring me! LOL I thought I might be able to hunt ONE buffalo in my lifetime, but now I'm not so sure. I would have thought ONE 400gr. bullet from my .416 Rigby or ONE 500gr. bullet from my .458 Lott through the HEART would be sufficient but guess not. Guess I'll have to practice for a head shot if I ever have a chance to hunt a buffalo?

Most of the time a good shot and the Buffalo runs off around 40-50 yards and it over…just not every time :)

HH

If hunting DG and PG, I’m probably going to have only one DG rifle with me. The PH will have the “stopping” rifle and hopefully the expertise to use it and I’ll be using the one I opened the proceedings with. Although, I have no issues with a .375 on buffalo, I prefer the idea of a .416 or bigger for buffalo.
As far as bullets…. Solids or softs for follow up, I’ll do what my PH says.

I've never hunted DG but when I think of a "Charge Stopper" I'm not thinking about a 416 Rigby, 404J or a 450/400, my mind goes to 470NE or larger. As for the rifle I thinking double rifle shooting Woodleigh solids. Currently my one and only DG rifle is a Ruger #1 in 416 Rigby so I need to make my first shot count.

Definitely not solids for a charge situation, sir. You want the biggest chance possible to clipping the nervous system, and things are happening fast.

I have followed up 2 wounded buffalos in my hunting time. First was with a 470 NE and the second was with a 505 Gibbs. Both times I was following up my own shots that later were shown to be in the boiler maker. Sometimes Capes just don’t know when to die. I was happy to have a large caliber for those follow ups and highly recommend using one.

I will state for those that might fall victim to the same thing I did on the first one. This happened a while ago IAround 18-19 Cape Buffalos ago) and on following up my first wounded cape I was still focusing on saving the trophy for the mount instead of trying to kill the Cape as fast as possible. When the charge occurred I was aiming for the chest wall where I believed the heart to be instead of the brain. This was a mistake I will never make again…always aim for the brain (In my opinion) as even a slight miss will stun the animal and give you a chance for further shots.
Chests shots in my experience did nothing to stop the charge and I, was only saved due to the Cape veering off from the pounding I was giving it. That cape took 11 shots from a 470 Nitro Express. Not my finest moment but a valuable learning experience.

HH
You said it all, spot on.

What about.... Does it ever happen that you wound one, and don't know where it is?
How do you go about finding it?

What about.... Does it ever happen that you wound one, and don't know where it is?
Tracking. It will be found and best that you see or hear it first. Otherwise, the danger goes up exponentially.

Out of the 5 (4 bulls , 1 cow) I have taken two required follow up. I still had the 458 Lott loaded with same round as first. 500 gr Swift Aframes. PH carry's a double in 500 NE with solids. Last Buff took a total of 7 or 8 rounds to stay down. You never know I found out how one will react and how many rounds they can take. We will see how number 6 goes in April.
Very best wishes or April.

The only logical thing to do is to call a helicopter in. That's what we did a week ago.

20230207_131212.jpg
IMG-20230207-WA0052.jpg

The only logical thing to do is to call a helicopter in. That's what we did a week ago.
Good solution, but what about additional costs?
It goes to hunter?
What are the approximate helicopter charges for one flight, 2 hours for example?

Hi guys, not sure if this is the correct post to ask...

I have seen several videos where the PH follow shoot straight after the client, and even in some cases dropping the buffalo
Is this necesarry? I mean, if no danger or charge why this happens?

I would definitely not be happy with this situation...

Good solution, but what about additional costs?
It goes to hunter?
What are the approximate helicopter charges for one flight, 2 hours for example?
Unfortunately the cost goes to the hunter/client. Keep in mind that calling a helicopter in is the absolute last resort.
The recent recovery cost was $500.00 per hour. The search took 1.5 hours.

It's a very simple decision.
Pay an extra $750.00 or loose a $12000.00 trophy.

Hi guys, not sure if this is the correct post to ask...

I have seen several videos where the PH follow shoot straight after the client, and even in some cases dropping the buffalo
Is this necesarry? I mean, if no danger or charge why this happens?

I would definitely not be happy with this situation...
This is not the norm, and shouldn't happen. I have had hunters request a back up shot though. If I see the first shot is good, then there is no need for me to fire.

My buddy shot a buff cow and it set up ambush in thick bush. They knew roughly where it was but not exactly and it was holding tight. So the dogs were brought in and 10 minutes later it was over. If it were not for the dogs this could have gone badly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.