Dealing with wounded Cape buffalo

I understand the allure of a double rifle in Africa for two quick shots in thick cover but a bolt rifle holding more ammo can also work. For my brown bear guiding work in Alaska where it is a bit more open, I wanted a scoped bolt rifle with QD scope mounts and more magazine capacity. That led me to a semi-custom CZ .458 Lott that holds 5+1. If a bear ever gets ahold of you, trying to hold on to your rifle would be hard enough, let alone trying to reload a double rifle.
 
I am late to the party and as newbie haven’t read the 10 pages so apologies for any duplicate. But
1. Read Don Heath
2. Let PH deal and be prepared to back him up
3. Take a double first shot 20 yards out
Second shot as close as comfortable and able to jump out way. C 3 yards

never done it myself as with 14 buff made sure first shot with all but 2. One guy took 7 engine room after poor first shot. Trackers crawling to check where he was waiting

never had a charge and no idea how I would react. We all imagine standing fast but I wonder

s
 
As an aside have had a lion charge. Was just so stunned I didn’t move.
there is so little time. I reckon you need to have experienced a few before think straight and calm. As tourists we just don’t get used to it like a PH does
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,302
Messages
1,572,162
Members
169,501
Latest member
AnjaAguiar
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top