Dakota 375HH ammo issues

FWIW, (no riflesmith here) I have a 76 in 375hh and it eats all sorts of factory ammo like a toddler scarfs pasta.

Once in a very great while with beat to hell snap caps the very last ie 5th to cycle will balk.

Check for anything impending the mag follower? Freckling on the ramp?

There is no Dakota any more. ParkWest, and theyve been nothing short of outstanding in every way. Massive thimbs up.
 
In 2001 I had same problem with Swift A-Frame bullets not chambering in a .416 Rigby.
The bullet was full diameter too far forward of the cannelure before starting into the ogive curve.
Later production by Swift had changed to a longer ogive and those 400-gr/.416-cal A-Frames chambered just fine.

Both the .375 H&H and .416 Rigby have no parallel-sided free-bore,
have leade-only throats.
The base of the leade in the .375 H&H is 0.390" wide, and has a rather abrupt leade hemi-angle of 2 degrees.
So, this throat tapers down to bore diameter of .366" over a run of only 0.361" out of case mouth, when brass is 2.860" long.
A full diameter bullet will be bumping the 0.375" diameter where the throat starts turning into lands and grooves of the rifling much closer than that.

It is a nose projection and ogive length thing most likely.
Don't change the rifle, change the bullet.
Maybe the newer make of Swift bullets will work just fine ?
 
Find myself wondering if one could burr the mouth of the chamber with careless, sloppy, and enthusiastic application of a steel cleaning rod.
 
In 2001 I had same problem with Swift A-Frame bullets not chambering in a .416 Rigby.
The bullet was full diameter too far forward of the cannelure before starting into the ogive curve.
Later production by Swift had changed to a longer ogive and those 400-gr/.416-cal A-Frames chambered just fine.

Both the .375 H&H and .416 Rigby have no parallel-sided free-bore,
have leade-only throats.
The base of the leade in the .375 H&H is 0.390" wide, and has a rather abrupt leade hemi-angle of 2 degrees.
So, this throat tapers down to bore diameter of .366" over a run of only 0.361" out of case mouth, when brass is 2.860" long.
A full diameter bullet will be bumping the 0.375" diameter where the throat starts turning into lands and grooves of the rifling much closer than that.

It is a nose projection and ogive length thing most likely.
Don't change the rifle, change the bullet.
Maybe the newer make of Swift bullets will work just fine ?
Thank you for that detailed and I believe correct description of what’s going on.

Personally, I don’t like having a dangerous game rifle that won’t run certain ammo.
 
The rifle is short throated. A hunting rifle should chamber any normal hunting bullet, reliability in the one essential. Have a gunsmith ream the throat deeper.
 
@Joker12 yep that should work after August hunt. Took it for a drive today with TSX and she shot great a true MOA. Just need to swap the scope to my Swarovski 1-6 even though the Zeiss Victory on it is nice. I know the lead sled is a no no to many but no weight and an extra decelerator pad has always worked for me.
IMG_7869.jpeg
 
You can’t go wrong with the TSX bullets & ammo. My CZ rifle likes them and no issues killing a cow and bull Cape Buffalo with the TSX factory ammo.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,306
Messages
1,572,357
Members
169,531
Latest member
BeckyFitzs
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top