CZ550 or M70

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Gunnie, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Kano

Kano AH Senior Member

Yes, heresy...

The same kind that got Galileo into trouble, when he tried to say that it was the Earth orbiting the Sun and not the other way round. :D

2. AZDAVE

AZDAVE AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
    Just remember that one mans heresy is another's fact or the 3rds folly. I like the CZ and Rugers. Shot a bunch of M70 but never had one stay in the safe where the CZ's and Rugers always stay.

3. Witold Krzyżanowski

Witold Krzyżanowski AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe
    I choose M70 Winchester Safari Express, because it is a true legend of African hunting.
    Witold

buckcurtin likes this.

4. colorado

colorado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:

5. TokkieM

TokkieM AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa,Zimbabwe,Sweden
    No doubt in my mind the M70 is a better rifle than the CZ would ever be. I have owned 3 CZ 375 rifles, 1 458 Win CZ and 1 458 Lott CZ. Feeding on the 375 is fine, not close to a M70, M70 has a conical loading breach that helps when feeding any type of bullet, CZ has a straight cut one and can cause problems. It will be a long long time before I would own another CZ. Still own a Pre 64 in 375 and wont swop it for 3 CZ's.
    If you want to get to know your gunsmith well, buy a CZ if you want to get to know the gun range well buy a M70;)

6. buckcurtin

buckcurtin AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI NRA
    Hunted:
    RSA/Zimbabwe
    I have a model 70 in 375H&H which is a left-handed model which I love. I bought one of the new model 70's for my stepson in 30-06, it is flawless. Have bought other rifles and none come close to being the gun the model 70 is, some of which cost a lot more. Action is as smooth as other very expensive rifles. You cannot go wrong and won't need to have it "worked" on to make sure it feeds and shoots well.

7. colorado

colorado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    To each his own. We own a M70 Classic LH Stainless in 416 Rem that has needed work to feed and function. I also own a CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery that needed work to feed and function flawlessly. I prefer the CZ 550.

8. Witold Krzyżanowski

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe
    I like rifles in the original Mauser action m.98
    Witold

ZG47 likes this.

9. Witold Krzyżanowski

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe
    I think that caliber and manufacturer of arms is an inividual of every hunter. The rifle must be dependable.
    Witold

TokkieM likes this.

10. Gunnie

Gunnie AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Well I finally located a M70 and a CZ550 to shoulder. The CZ was in a 458. The M70 was in a 30 caliber can't remeber which. After shouldering the two I feel in love with the CZ for me it fit quite well seemed to drop a touch more in the heel. I began paying down at my local gun store where I spend so much of my time on a new one. I ordered a CZ550 American Safari in 375 H&H. Should be here next week. Thank you all for answering my post and for offering your insight. I will let you all know how it handles and looks upon arrival.

11. IronCowboy

IronCowboy AH Veteran

I realize I'm coming late to the party, but I'm glad you went with the CZ. I still have a sour taste in my mouth about the new production "Winchester" M70's. I can appreciate that the new manufacturers are probably better at it than the last run of Winchester made guns, but a Winchester ain't a Winchester if it ain't made by Winchester, in my book.

I'm a Ruger guy, but sadly, there isn't Magnum option available for them these days. In cutting this same mustard for myself lately, with a CZ, an M70, and a Ruger on the table, I picked up TWO of the Rugers first, but was compelled enough to not be willing to leave the CZ behind, and I didn't even look back at the M70. As such, I'm building on two Ruger M77 Hawkeye actions for a 458WM and a 338WM/416 Ruger, then planning a Lott in the CZ550 action.

12. ZG47

ZG47 AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    NZDA, NZMSC
    Hunted:
    New Zealand
    My first brand new centrefire rifle was a push feed Model 70 short action Featherweight. The action was drilled slightly off centre, which meant that there wasn't much timber to one side of the barrel at the fore-end tip after (necessary) floating and I ended up cutting off the schnabel to eliminate the lopsided look.

Feeding was not quite as good as it should be but I could count on the first shot from a cold barrel going to the same spot every time. A 3 inch 5 shot group was pretty much minimum and 10 shot groups were a joke.

I won a 200m shoot with it on a windy day and got a nice representative chamois with it but it was essentially useless for shooting practice and feeding was never fully reliable.

Other people of my acquaintance have had better experiences and I would happily own a controlled feed Model 70 but would get a gunsmith to solder a protective flange to the left side of the bolt shroud.

13. bebo

bebo AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Take both ... (y) M70 : .416RM 400 (DG) or 300grs (heavy ..PG) efficient and cheaper than .416 Rigby and CZ 550 other caliber .375H&H or 9.3x62 mauser or .300WM for PG.