CZ, Sako, Ruger, Kimber?

Point taken. I have not handled or fired the Lott in the Caprivi.

no offense intended to you Custom, but the least comfortable factory gun ive ever fired was a Winchester M70 in 458 WM.

No offense taken, matt85. Honestly, I have not fired the M70 in 458 so I can't speak to felt recoil. My 458 is the Ruger RSM in Lott chambering. It is certainly heavy enough, but it kicks the snot out of me. I have settled on the 416 as my tolerable level of recoil. Why do I have the Lott? Well, just so I can say I have one.:)

My Sako Brown Bear .500J is 9.5 pounds. It’s a little light, but handy - and I got used-to it.

your a better man then me. what load do you use?

i was shooting 600gr Peregrines at 2300fps from my 505 Gibbs can could NEVER imagine trying that from a 9.5 pound gun!!!!!

-matt

Hi Matt. I only use a very moderate load: 600 grain Woodleigh PPSNs at 2140fps, as recommended in the Woodleigh reloading manual.

I’m of the opinion that top possible speed is unnecessary and can cause problems.

Hi Matt. I only use a very moderate load: 600 grain Woodleigh PPSNs at 2140fps, as recommended in the Woodleigh reloading manual.

I’m of the opinion that top possible speed is unnecessary and can cause problems.

your load from a 9.5 pound rifle likely produces much more recoil then my 2300fps load did from a 11+ pound rifle. i would be willing to try firing the rifle once... but not sure about a second time (ill try just about any gun once).

i was firing a solid copper bullet which shot 0.5" groups at 50 yards with that load so the velocity was not an issue. another load i used was a 570gr Swift A-frame at 2300fps, i used this load to take a cape buffalo back in 2015. weight retention on the A-frame was around 90% but A-frames are much tougher then Woodleigh bullets so i agree with your choice of not pushing the 600gr PP any faster.

-matt

Recently purchased a Ruger RSM in .458 Lott. Original box, only a few rounds put through it. Found it on GB for $1200, which seemed like a steal. If you want a step up from the .404, that may be a logical next step for not a ton of money. The Ruger has arrived, and I like how it shoulders. Good balance. That noted, I thought the action was a bit rough and the bluing was just OK. Was sending my CZ 550 in .375 H&H to AHR for a #2 upgrade (ended up going with #3), and I sent the Ruger along as well. AHR is going to glass bed it, tune the trigger, put on a new front sight, gunkoke it, and jewel the bolt - all for what I think is an excellent price. Looking forward to getting it back.

your load from a 9.5 pound rifle likely produces much more recoil then my 2300fps load did from a 11+ pound rifle. i would be willing to try firing the rifle once... but not sure about a second time (ill try just about any gun once).

i was firing a solid copper bullet which shot 0.5" groups at 50 yards with that load so the velocity was not an issue. another load i used was a 570gr Swift A-frame at 2300fps, i used this load to take a cape buffalo back in 2015. weight retention on the A-frame was around 90% but A-frames are much tougher then Woodleigh bullets so i agree with your choice of not pushing the 600gr PP any faster.

-matt

I guessed 96gr powder for Matts rifle 92ft.lbs recoil and 90gr for BenKK 97 ft.lbs recoil

the Win M70 I shot was a brand new gun, the owner was just breaking it in... or trying to before the sharp pain to the shoulder stopped him. he had both me and another shooter (both very experienced with heavy rifles) try the gun and we agreed it was horrible. perhaps the gun fits some people just right and doesn't feel bad to shoot or perhaps people are putting a very heavy scope on it (the gun I tried was just iron sights).

I cant comment on the Kimber Caprivi other then that its VERY LIGHT. I handled a Caprivi in 458 Lott at the Dallas gun show and it was under 8 pounds which was just silly for its chambering.

-matt
Was that my 458 at the double rifle shoot Matt

I agree with Matt completely on the M70 in 458WM. I have a super grade in 458WM and I absolutely hate it. My Ruger RSM and Kimber Caprivi in 458 Lott are pleasures to shoot in comparison. I have a custom rifle built on a MRC 1999 action in 458 WM that is a dream. I would put a years wages that stock geometry and weight are the reason for the M70 resulting in the same effects as an ass whipping in a bar parking lot. I do not have the frame of a 12 year old boy and am no stranger to heavy recoil but that M70 hurts me. All my other M70’s I love and would never say a bad word about. But that WM is properly served as a hood prop on my bronco rather than a shooter!
But to the OP I can’t recommend the Caprivi enough as it is a splendid production rifle!
Cheers,
Cody

Not quite a "factory" rifle but you could get yourself a 460 Wby and neck it up to .500
I think Weatherby toyed with the idea a few years ago. May have even produced a rifle or two

Was that my 458 at the double rifle shoot Matt

it very well could have been, it was at the double rifle shoot up in AK. if memory serves me right we were shooting Hornady factory ammunition from the rifle (does that sound right?).

i just remember that i shot a lot of large guns that day (450 NE, 500 NE, 600 NE, and a 4 bore) but the only rifle to actually hurt me was the Win M70 in 458 WM.

-matt

it very well could have been, it was at the double rifle shoot up in AK. if memory serves me right we were shooting Hornady factory ammunition from the rifle (does that sound right?).

i just remember that i shot a lot of large guns that day (450 NE, 500 NE, 600 NE, and a 4 bore) but the only rifle to actually hurt me was the Win M70 in 458 WM.

-matt
Yeah that was my rifle Matt. I’ve shot it quite a bit even after I had my shoulder replaced but it does have quite a bit a recoil. Everyone said it was a hard kicker Cal Papas ,yourself and a few others. I talked to Wayne at AHR And I wanted to have it restocked and a beautiful piece of wood but that was $2000 and I’m not there yet. I will probably bring it to the shoot in May though.

you don't need to go that far, I imagine adding weight to the right spots would solve the issue. carefully add lead to the front and back of the stock while checking the rifles balance should solve the problem. given the rifles weight I would suggest 2-2.5 pounds... most 458 caliber heavy rifles seem to work best in the 10.5 pound range. ive done this kind of work on my own so its not too tough to do.

-matt

you don't need to go that far, I imagine adding weight to the right spots would solve the issue. carefully add lead to the front and back of the stock while checking the rifles balance should solve the problem. given the rifles weight I would suggest 2-2.5 pounds... most 458 caliber heavy rifles seem to work best in the 10.5 pound range. ive done this kind of work on my own so its not too tough to do.

-matt
Well, I’m getting old and I’d like to have one rifle with a beautiful piece of wood.

I’m going to weight it empty and see what it actually weighs

458 Winchester Magnum model 70, empty it weighs 8 lbs. 13 oz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GiuseppeMc

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you