CZ-550 Gunsmiths?

ktk120

AH veteran
Reaction score
With Wayne at AHR out of the picture and his replacement Matrix Gunsmithing not accepting anymore work anytime soon and not able to even get to pricing projects who else is there.

I have a complete CZ550 safari classic action in 375hh that I would like to get barreled and made to feed right in 500 Jeffery. I do not want the 10k custom rifle smiths I need the normal mans type of gunsmiths who can do just the gunsmithing portion of barreling and making feed right. Thanks!

Buy this sell your CZ and not wait, probably money ahead.

Dennis is a well respected GS that does a lot of RUM conversions to 404J. He did my Win M70. The long lead time will be the barrel. I bought my 404J barrel from Krieger and it took around 7-8 months. Once Dennis had all the parts, he took a couple of months to do the work at a reasonable cost.

DENNIS OLSON GUNSMITH
PO BOX 337
PLAINS MT 59859-0337

Physical address for UPS or FedEx deliveries
Dennis Olson
500 First St
Plains , MT 59859

Email: dgolson@montana.com
Phone: (406) 826-3790

Matrix is not taking any work? I spoke to them a few months ago and they didn’t mention anything like that.

Dennis is a well respected GS that does a lot of RUM conversions to 404J. He did my Win M70. The long lead time will be the barrel. I bought my 404J barrel from Krieger and it took around 7-8 months. Once Dennis had all the parts, he took a couple of months to do the work at a reasonable cost.

DENNIS OLSON GUNSMITH
PO BOX 337
PLAINS MT 59859-0337

Physical address for UPS or FedEx deliveries
Dennis Olson
500 First St
Plains , MT 59859

Email: dgolson@montana.com
Phone: (406) 826-3790

Everything I've heard about Dennis is he is absolutely Top Notch!

The not taking orders is somewhat of a concern as AHR was in buisness for years and never had to stop orders.
we know there was an issue early on at Mattrix but a member on here of excellent standing reported he had work done and appeared Mattrix had worked out of their early issues.
Now not taking orders does create some negative thoughts.
Hope it all works out as there is a need.

You could talk to Triple River gunsmiths, they were the original CZ Custom Shop. I think they only do standard CZ calibers though

I know Harlan had retired, but didn't know they had closed. Sorry for the misinformation.

With Wayne at AHR out of the picture and his replacement Matrix Gunsmithing not accepting anymore work anytime soon and not able to even get to pricing projects who else is there.

I have a complete CZ550 safari classic action in 375hh that I would like to get barreled and made to feed right in 500 Jeffery. I do not want the 10k custom rifle smiths I need the normal mans type of gunsmiths who can do just the gunsmithing portion of barreling and making feed right. Thanks!
You might contact Kevin Weaver, 719-683-3024. He's currently converting a CZ550 of mine to 458 Lott.

Kevin's a very good gunsmith. I'm not sure how much work he does on CZ's I have two rifles (a REM XCR II in 375 Weatherby and an M70 in 416 Rem) I need him to do some minor work on. I'd better get out there soon lol!

Kevin was confident he could make it work. Price was in-line. Probably will go that route when I pull the trigger on this. I think I'm going to hold out and maybe find a Sako Brown Bear first or if rumor is true Sako may be introducing a new line and hopefully a 500J will make that.

FYI for you all
I had not been in touch with Tim at Matrix for over a month.
Well today I found out why they are not accepting any new customers at the moment.
Tim was in the hospital for over 3 weeks from a second heart attack I have been told. He is doing good and at home now but since he is only doing the CZ work himself this has him behind schedule.
Just wanted to pass along what info about Tim and Matrix I knew.

Also I had sent the CZ 458 win mag back to him because it was not doing a fast feed like if you were in a buff situation really smoothly.
Tim has designed what he calls the Tombstone mag box and follower. It takes up some of the slack in mag box and holds rounds more in place.
Will give you all a review on that when I have had time to test it out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois