CZ 550 - .416 Rigby good choice for dangerous game?

reinhardtR

Reaction score
I want to buy my first big bore rifle and I've done some research and found that a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby might be a good choice for a beginner like myself. The rifle is not expensive but the ammo might be a bit heavy on the wallet. I would like to know what the other members think of the combination ?

Love both of mine I reload so a bit different on ammo costs ....have a synethic and a wood stocked ......keeping the synethic as it will become a cull rifle ....

Which caliber have you fired the most ....largest ?

It will be great, but you might need to reload. The brass will be expensive compared to 416 Rem, but the projectiles will be the same price. It will use a bit more powder. You can always load down for a bit until you get use to the recoil.
The 416 Rigby is a classic for a reason.

The 416 Rigby is a classic for a reason.

This. I just see no reason to have a 416 that isn't a Rigby. It's the romantic in me.... and my wife will tell you that's where my romantic tendencies end too. :E Big Grin:

If you reload you will save money and you can lighten the load a bit and work up as you get used to the recoil.

Looked at a CZ in 416 Rigby a couple of years ago.......rifle was a great price, but when I started trying to find ammo, I found out how difficult & expensive it was, compared to some other cartridges. $10/rd (average) compared to $3/rd (average) for the .375 H&H......more variety, easier to find components, reloading data, etc. So I went with the .375. However, if that doesn't scare you off, then I think that the Rigby chambered in a CZ550 is a great choice.

I just looked at ammoseek for giggles and you can get Hornady ammo for $4.03 per round, before shipping. Good ammo for paper, although I wouldn't hunt DG with that junk, but that's another story. Real hunting ammo (Barnes) starts at $4.85 per round.

As a comparison H&H Hornady junk ammo is $2.03 per round and Barnes is $3.03. You can get PRVI for $1.80 per round.

Can you really put a price on awesome? They say a .416 Rigby will make you healthy, wealthy and wise, men will respect you and women will swoon! Well maybe not all that but I love the cartridge and really like my CZ550 although I am not monogamous to her, I like the Ruger RSM more. I also spend a lot of time with my 416 rem mags, the Rigby knows about them but pays no mind because when push comes to shove I will always dance last with classy old girl from England.
Cheers,
Cody

416 rigby is a great round just ask Beans he loves his. lots of CZ need some gunsmithing when you get them so be aware. I like the 416 Rem myself less cost to shoot and reload than a Rigby and identical ballistics at a higher pressure with less powder. They used to have issues with too hot loads in 416 rem extraction but not an issue anymore especially with control rd feed guns. so enjoy you wont go wrong with a 416 rigby. personally i would say the rem whops me more than rigby when i pull the trigger. but they are manageable if you are used to shooting big bores and magnums? If not maybe gun down to a 375 HH first big bore might be wise?? you did say 1st bigbore do you shoot mag calibers often? better to start with a little less gun or borrow one to try.

I had one. CZ550 is a great rifle and the cartridge will kill anything that walks on earth. Recoil was too much for me and I had to hand load, to afford to use it.

.416 Rigby is a great round. Yes, the ammo is expensive, but this isn't a rifle you will fire hundreds of rounds through, even when you practice (as you should). When you look at what you pay for a safari, the ammo is not a significant factor.

More significant is that it's about as much gun as most of us can handle without complaining (too much), and it can take anything Africa has to offer. Anything bigger than that and you should be a full time PH in the dangerous game business.

And it's one of the great old cartridges of Africa. Can't beat it.

Three Bears Alaska 20 rounds 400 grain solids $168. 00 416 Rigby

Love both of mine I reload so a bit different on ammo costs ....have a synethic and a wood stocked ......keeping the synethic as it will become a cull rifle ....

Which caliber have you fired the most ....largest ?
Well nothing larger than a 30-06 but I guess with some practice, determination and good motivation I should be good with the 416?

For it being my first big bore I'm planning on only having one big rifle but I'm definitely going to get a big double rifle as well at a later stage, but should it be better starting off maybe with a 375 and then look into getting a 416? The 375 would be perfect for a client to use on a hunt being backed up with the big rigby?

If you're into CZ rifles, you'll not find a better price on a good rifle in the big Rigby. I looked at the CZ in 416 Rigby for a long while myself but then settled on a Ruger Guide Gun in 416 Ruger. Couldn't be happier...short, plenty powerful, stainless steel for a care-free hunt. In the end I decided that the CZ was too long and large and heavy for my taste.

I borrowed that exact rifle combination from my PH on my recent lion hunt. It worked great and definitely got the job done.

In my case, the rifle had a synthetic stock and a mercury recoil reducer, which I learned to greatly appreciate!

these topics are all personal , one thing I can tell you though is that the .416 is a fantastic caliber .

I own the Rigby , Remington and the Ruger and my choice with regards to price of rifle , price of ammo , as well as an out of the box rifle would be the Winchester Mod 70 in 416 Remington.

Make no mistake I like them all , but that would be my out of the box choice.

Well nothing larger than a 30-06 but I guess with some practice, determination and good motivation I should be good with the 416?
I went from an 8mm remington magnum to 375 hh which was a relief the 8mm kicks a lot harder the 416 rigby is a bit of a step up but a different type of recoil ....

1.try one someone on here will let you have a go ....or find someone local

2. Try a 375 hh see what your comfort level is

3. Learn to reload then you can practice for a fraction of the cost of factory ...

4. Make sure the rifle ...recoil pad etc fit you ....get a professional to help ......

the 416 Rigby in a CZ 550 is a fine choice but you can expect the CZ 550 to need a little work before it runs perfectly. also, if ammunition price is a concern then 416 Rigby may not be the best choice as its certainly not cheap.

for a first time buyer i would actually recommend the Winchester M70 in 416 RM. the 416 RM cartridge is fantastic and is much more cost effective then the 416 Rigby cartridge. the Winchester M70 rifle tends to run only slightly more then the CZ 550 but is a much nicer rifle out of the box (the CZ can get there with work).

in summery, any of the 416 cartridges will serve you well for both DG and PG.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg