Custom Built 425 Westley Richards

Bowhunters

AH member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
16
Reaction score
10
Member of
SCI and pr hunters association of Zambia
I have a custom built .425 Westley Richards express with its own leather box , detachable scope and leather case made by WR and silver oil bottle , custom strap - the whole unit was specially engraved and built for a hunter. Well built and beautiful to shoot. Truly a collectors item. Offers??

img_0515-jpg.37989
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mercy !
 
got any pics?
 
The weapon was built for a friend of my grandfathers. It was handed down to me. Below are some views of it all. It has express sights with a flip up front bead for snap shooting. All WR hand made.

IMG_0515.JPG
023.JPG
024.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
hi if possible could you take a couple more of it out of the case full length and closer of the wood, as its hard to see what that is like in those photos, and whats the ser no? cheers


Additional photos will help a lot. Does this rifle have a clip?

Mike, your nice and handy there in Zambia. This would make a special camp rifle!! How many of your customers have had the opportunity to shoot a sable with a 425WR? Nice marketing campaign.
 
Mike, your nice and handy there in Zambia. This would make a special camp rifle!!

Thats a good idea Wheels, Mike i can go pick it up for you if you like... you know, just to try help you out a bit
 
Serial number LT 42759. My camera does not have a wide enough zoom to get whole rifle and wood. Maybe these will help? It has a magazine not a clip. Holds 3.

425 003 - Copy.JPG
425 004.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, never seen an old 425 WR without a clip.

All the best in getting it sold.
 
Interesting classic. Wonder when it was built?
 
Unsure. But it was a strange WR 425 for certain. No visible magazine. No sign it requires side clips.

someone contemplating this should drop the £75 to get provenance done on it at Westley and verify it was built originally as a 425 and not converted.
 
Just for interests sake I own a very similar rifle, serial number 42751. I had it verified by WR and it was completed in March 1951.

Mine is a "Best Grade" and most of the ,425WR's didn't have the extended magazine nor the side clips.

Is the rifle still for sale?

IMG_9204.JPG
IMG_9205.JPG
Meg 039.JPG
048.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Attached please see copy of the certificate of originality and ledger from WR. So ironic that the serial numbers are so close.
Looks like it was finished in July '51.
 

Attachments

You have a beautiful rifle Richard. Thanks for a little history lesson regarding WR.

Do you know how many 425's WR made without the magazine box, or what years they made them without the magazine box?

Also, how many rounds are held in your magazine?
 
The box is a magazine, but what are the side clips?? Don't know that one.
 
Thank you Wheels.
I really have no idea how many have been made with the extended "box" magazine. They still offer it as an option on current production models. I used to have one (5 round) with a 28" barrel made in the '30's but the barrel was so shot out that I couldn't hit the inside of a barn if I was standing in it.
Some of the "game ranger" models had a smaller box and those held four rounds. Mine with the flush magazine holds three.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,366
Members
169,543
Latest member
BarneyBroc
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top