Custom Built 425 Westley Richards

Bowhunters

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI and pr hunters association of Zambia
I have a custom built .425 Westley Richards express with its own leather box , detachable scope and leather case made by WR and silver oil bottle , custom strap - the whole unit was specially engraved and built for a hunter. Well built and beautiful to shoot. Truly a collectors item. Offers??

img_0515-jpg.37989

Last edited by a moderator:
Mercy !

got any pics?

The weapon was built for a friend of my grandfathers. It was handed down to me. Below are some views of it all. It has express sights with a flip up front bead for snap shooting. All WR hand made.

IMG_0515.JPG
023.JPG
024.JPG

hi if possible could you take a couple more of it out of the case full length and closer of the wood, as its hard to see what that is like in those photos, and whats the ser no? cheers

Additional photos will help a lot. Does this rifle have a clip?

Mike, your nice and handy there in Zambia. This would make a special camp rifle!! How many of your customers have had the opportunity to shoot a sable with a 425WR? Nice marketing campaign.

Serial number LT 42759. My camera does not have a wide enough zoom to get whole rifle and wood. Maybe these will help? It has a magazine not a clip. Holds 3.

425 003 - Copy.JPG
425 004.JPG

Interesting, never seen an old 425 WR without a clip.

All the best in getting it sold.

Interesting classic. Wonder when it was built?

Unsure. But it was a strange WR 425 for certain. No visible magazine. No sign it requires side clips.

someone contemplating this should drop the £75 to get provenance done on it at Westley and verify it was built originally as a 425 and not converted.

Just for interests sake I own a very similar rifle, serial number 42751. I had it verified by WR and it was completed in March 1951.

Mine is a "Best Grade" and most of the ,425WR's didn't have the extended magazine nor the side clips.

Is the rifle still for sale?

IMG_9204.JPG
IMG_9205.JPG
Meg 039.JPG
048.JPG

Attached please see copy of the certificate of originality and ledger from WR. So ironic that the serial numbers are so close.
Looks like it was finished in July '51.

Attachments

• WR425 History Certificate.pdf
    246.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Westley Richards Ledger 1.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 109
  • Westley Richards Ledger 2.pdf
    962.4 KB · Views: 108
You have a beautiful rifle Richard. Thanks for a little history lesson regarding WR.

Do you know how many 425's WR made without the magazine box, or what years they made them without the magazine box?

Also, how many rounds are held in your magazine?

The box is a magazine, but what are the side clips?? Don't know that one.

Thank you Wheels.
I really have no idea how many have been made with the extended "box" magazine. They still offer it as an option on current production models. I used to have one (5 round) with a 28" barrel made in the '30's but the barrel was so shot out that I couldn't hit the inside of a barn if I was standing in it.
Some of the "game ranger" models had a smaller box and those held four rounds. Mine with the flush magazine holds three.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.