Current Production Winchester Mod 70 Safari Express

I can start a fourth round under the claw of my Brno vz.24 converted to 404J with bolt retracted fully and close it without picking up the next round in magazine. That fourth round slipped just under the extractor should hold the next round in magazine down far enough for the bolt to clear the rim and close without picking it up. Or maybe the box on your rifle is wider than it should be? Something doesn't sound right. I'm thinking that issue could maybe be fixed by a gunsmith? Just a thought.

Nothing wrong, the design is for three rounds fully in the magazine. It’s one of the criticisms often cited against the M70. You can get a fourth started enough however to make it a 3+1 without having to snap the extractor over the rim.

Having said that my M70 manual says you can do that and it’s ok. I prefer to not tempt fate and use my gentler method.

Nothing wrong, the design is for three rounds fully in the magazine. It’s one of the criticisms often cited against the M70. You can get a fourth started enough however to make it a 3+1 without having to snap the extractor over the rim.

Having said that my M70 manual says you can do that and it’s ok. I prefer to not tempt fate and use my gentler method.
Correct. Forget about snap over. What I'm saying is with bolt open you should be able to push by hand that fourth round down on top of the full magazine till the rim just fits under the claw, then close. Position of bolt SHOULD be immaterial. But you're saying your rifle's bolt when retracted all the way will still catch the rim of next round in magazine resulting in bolt going forward on two rounds at once. I don't think your rifle should be doing that. The fourth round when caught with the claw, should compress the rounds in magazine below the bolt head so you can close it without catching the rim of next round ... even when bolt is fully retracted. That's the way my Mauser works and I THOUGHT Model 70 was the same. I'm thinking the box or feeding rails are spread too wide? This would allow cartridges in magazine to be spread further and consequently that fourth round rim would not be pushing the next cartridge in the box deep enough to avoid being picked up by bottom of bolt head. I suspect this could be an easy fix. However, if the box/rails were too wide, I would expect the action to cycle rather roughly ... unless the cartridges jump the rails very quickly. I think those were magnum length actions so I wouldn't expect quick release from rails.

Interesting. Glad you brought it up.

Correct. Forget about snap over. What I'm saying is with bolt open you should be able to push by hand that fourth round down on top of the full magazine till the rim just fits under the claw, then close. Position of bolt SHOULD be immaterial. But you're saying your rifle's bolt when retracted all the way will still catch the rim of next round in magazine resulting in bolt going forward on two rounds at once. I don't think your rifle should be doing that. The fourth round when caught with the claw, should compress the rounds in magazine below the bolt head so you can close it without catching the rim of next round ... even when bolt is fully retracted. That's the way my Mauser works and I THOUGHT Model 70 was the same. I'm thinking the box or feeding rails are spread too wide? This would allow cartridges in magazine to be spread further and consequently that fourth round rim would not be pushing the next cartridge in the box deep enough to avoid being picked up by bottom of bolt head. I suspect this could be an easy fix. However, if the box/rails were too wide, I would expect the action to cycle rather roughly ... unless the cartridges jump the rails very quickly. I think those were magnum length actions so I wouldn't expect quick release from rails.

Interesting. Glad you brought it up.
Ok, I think we're basically saying the same thing basically. And in reality, I guess I can't remember if the bolt would catch that 2nd round or not. I guess what I remember was doing this that way to ensure it didn't happen. What you're saying makes sense, the bottom rounds should be a little further down and not get caught.

I had a Safari Express in .375 H&H. Excellent fit, finish and accuracy. I would highly recommend one. The only downside was its weight, about 11 pounds loaded with a sling. I sold it and went to a Mauser actioned rifle in 9.3x62. Not quite as powerful as the .375 but more than adequate for the hunting I do, and being 2.5 pounds lighter, it was much nicer for carrying in the field.

Ok, I think we're basically saying the same thing basically. And in reality, I guess I can't remember if the bolt would catch that 2nd round or not. I guess what I remember was doing this that way to ensure it didn't happen. What you're saying makes sense, the bottom rounds should be a little further down and not get caught.
Wait ... your 375 is belted cartridge and my 404 is not. That belt MIGHT make a difference loading the 4th cartridge. Let me know next time you take your 375 for an outing. I'd be interested.

I appreciate the heads up on the classifieds!
L
I appreciate the heads up on the classifieds!
I've owned .375 H&H Safari Express, .416 Remington Safari Express, and .375 H&H Alaskan, all current production from Portugal. Excellent metal work, and accurate.

The .375 Alaskan had great handling, the .416 Safari Express was good for a bigger bore rifle than the.375 H&H in the Safari Express.
Better balance.

I foolishly sold the.375 Alaskan. I’m going to buy another. Very accurate.
The stock finish is very minimal. Looks almost not complete. A little oil, though and good to go.
Pillar bedded, an extra extractor and bolt stop spring as a backup and you’re good to go.

Not trying to change the subject of this conversation. I own 23 model 70’s. Some CRF and a lot push feed. Have a beautiful safari express that’s push feed and never had an issue with it or any other push feed model 70 I own. I would carry it Grizzly hunting or lion hunting and the fact that it is push feed would be the last worry I would have. CRF gurus get over you self’s !!

What is the difference between Alaskan and Safari express models, when in same calibers?

NICE ,where is that picture taken, and outfitter, if you will.
Sengwa Research Area with Mokore Safaris. Elephant, buffalo and plains game mixed bag. The 458 Lott , unscoped on the right, for the ele. The 375 H&H for the remainder.

What is the difference between Alaskan and Safari express models, when in same calibers?
Not sure of all, but the rear sights are mounted differently, the front sling swivel is barrel mounted on the SE (keeping it further away during recoil I've read) and the SE is about a half-pound heavier.

The Alaskan has a folding rear sight, slimmer barrel profile, and a very slight monte carlo comb. Good to note as well that while the Alaskan's other chamberings have a single crossbolt, the .375 model is fitted with 2. I went with the Alaskan as I'd read that the Safari Express is a bit barrel heavy in .375, and also I liked the overall look of the Alaskan better. Mine weighs about 7.75 pounds empty and recoil is a little snappy, but it does handle very well. While it's not been an issue for me, I do wish that they would have mounted the sling stud to the barrel as they do on the Express.

The Alaskan has a folding rear sight, slimmer barrel profile, and a very slight monte carlo comb. Good to note as well that while the Alaskan's other chamberings have a single crossbolt, the .375 model is fitted with 2. I went with the Alaskan as I'd read that the Safari Express is a bit barrel heavy in .375, and also I liked the overall look of the Alaskan better. Mine weighs about 7.75 pounds empty and recoil is a little snappy, but it does handle very well. While it's not been an issue for me, I do wish that they would have mounted the sling stud to the barrel as they do on the Express.
Good explanation of the difference.

The Alaskan is machined with a barrel”boss?” that is a mounting point for the folding rear sight. This is a copy of the Pre-64 Winchester Alaskan. A nice touch. Look at pictures on the web to see this. The barrel is 25 inches, as opposed to 24 inches for the Safari Express and definitely slimmer. With the light profile barrel and slimmer stock, the Alaskan handles very well, more like a Westley Richard’s, or WJ Jeffery. The Safari Express barrel profile is thick, same diameter no matter for.375, .416,or .458.

Too heavy for the.375. Barrel heavy.

The .375 Alaskan got it right, handled great.
I’m not a fan of Monte Carlo stocks, but the Alaskan is well designed, I found recoil, in a 1.5+, lighter rifle was very mild and easy.

Mine was lights out accurate, with most loads, factory and hand loads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviaJoine

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.