Culling belts and cartridge slides

DobeGrant45c

AH member
Reaction score
As a leather-worker I’m always interested in seeing what leather gear folks enjoy and their philosophy of use. There may be another thread where this has already hashed out, but if not.

What is your favorite culling belt/cartridge slide and why?

Hope everyone is doing well. God bless!

I would like to get one of these that caries 8 shells with custom inlays or script available.
IMG_1251.jpg

HH

My .375 sized Murray belt has a lot of miles on it. I could not improve upon it.

Blaser R8 .375 Rifle

For my 500 Nitro Express, I use a leather ammo carrier that my leather-worker made for me. I got the idea from my leather shot-shell carrier that I use in Cowboy Action Shooting that allows me to pull two shells at a time from my belt using only two fingers and thumb of my left hand and quickly rock them both into the chambers at the same time of my side-by-side 12ga. The basic design of the leather carrier and the muscle memory achieved from loading two 12ga shells at the same time readily transferred over to quickly reloading my Heym 500 Nitro Express double rifle.
290EE95B-75CF-4ADF-B36B-ED9EFEBC3608_1_201_a.jpeg
73F985F7-0F4F-4CF9-82E3-298BA8B1B264.jpeg
95612630-C5F5-4A9E-AFFE-C08D846E3553.jpeg

From a total amateur prospective, ain't Els & Co the only solution that protects the cartridges from being bent/destroyed?

I just recently got two Els&Co "Somerset open" - one for regular cartridges like 30-06 or 6.5x55, and one for 404J.

They hold 5 cartridges each, and are quite large. But they are beautiful, and are built like tanks with thick, hard leather.

I expect them to last me for life.

From a total amateur prospective, ain't Els & Co the only solution that protects the cartridges from being bent/destroyed?
Els makes a good product, but short of a plane crash, I am trying to imagine the situation that would bend or destroy ammunition in a belt. :oops:

Els makes a good product, but short of a plane crash, I am trying to imagine the situation that would bend or destroy ammunition in a belt. :oops:
I am with Red Leg. At the point where my cartridges are about to break, I fear that I may have bigger problems on my hands. I envision a buffalo trying to insert its horn into my midriff and figure damage to my cartridges would probably not worry me much.

I use a leather 10 round holder-on my belt- nothing fancy. It is nice to be able to take it off without your trousers falling down. I have a cz 550 so 5 rounds in the rifle,e and 10 on my belt should be good for most situations.

This is my current cartridge belt, a leather and canvas combo made for me by Lindwells Leather. It takes 458 ammo and is set up in a double loop configuration. The extra space between the cartridges makes it very easy to extract two cartridges at a time when I need to reload a empty rifle quickly. It still allows to pull out a single without any problem.

The reason why I chose canvas over leather, is because I live in a tropical part of the world that is very close to the coast. I find that brass corrode quite quickly if left in a leather pouch for extended periods of time when it was exposed to either rain or excessive sweat.

IMG_20230908_170725_edit_488114816730205.jpg

Murray Leather Cartridge Belt with leather loops. It will hold anything based on the 375H&H (like the 257WBY or even 458LOTT) equally well.

1694217145080.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 9.26.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 9.26.26 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 9.26.29 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 9.26.29 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 142
For my 500 Nitro Express, I use a leather ammo carrier that my leather-worker made for me. I got the idea from my leather shot-shell carrier that I use in Cowboy Action Shooting that allows me to pull two shells at a time from my belt using only two fingers and thumb of my left hand and quickly rock them both into the chambers at the same time of my side-by-side 12ga. The basic design of the leather carrier and the muscle memory achieved from loading two 12ga shells at the same time readily transferred over to quickly reloading my Heym 500 Nitro Express double rifle.View attachment 555851View attachment 555852View attachment 555853
I like CAS leatherwear. There is a version of those leather loops that I like that has a division between the pairs, so that they are a little better separated. So when one goes for them, they come out spaced. And it also means if one cartridge comes out the second is well supported, but not so sticky as it would be if they were in separate loops or compartments.

Given that this is mostly race gear, it may not appeal to some as well as more conventional approaches, but I think one could have a bit of both so that one has a bit of both, without getting too confusing. So deeper and better protected, but also some quick pairs available. The CAS rigs get pretty involved, and would probably be bush velcro, but they do have some good ideas.

1694218806149.jpeg

I’m a fan of Murray Custom Leather products. I have several of their slides in various calibers and a culling belt like @Red Leg and @BeeMaa showed in their posts. Mr. Murray is great to work with. As soon as I get my Cape Buffalo hide back from the tanners, he’s going to make a gun case for me. Purpose built stuff always interests me.

Jacques Tredoux double prong belt and two of his 5 round slides:

20230908_191713.jpg

20230908_191739.jpg

My short review:

Jacques Tredoux double prong belt and two of his 5 round slides:

View attachment 556119

View attachment 556120

My short review:

I agree. I like the look. I ordered a culling belt from them sized for .275 and so engraved. Look forward to getting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RosettaMar

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.