Cross wildebeest off the list?

I’m doing RSA in 2024 with a 270win or 308win , the outfitter says shot placement is key.
I am renting a 375 for zebra and wildebeest, buffalo , because I have doubts a 308win or 270 is enough for zebra

308 with a good bullet is plenty for everything on your list except the buffalo...

Both my wife and I have taken a zebra with a 308.. same load mentioned above.. barnes 168 gr ttsx running about 2700 fps.. hers went less than 10 yards.. mine maybe went 30-40 yards before piling up..

just put the bullet on the "sergeants stripes" and it'll drop to a 308, no problem..

and as mentioned above.. Ive taken multiple blues and my wife has taken multiple blues with the same 308 load... no problems at all..

Of the 13 plains game species we shot with my 7mm RUM using 160 gr Barnes TTSX Bullets, we only recovered one bullet.
That bullet was from my Blue Wildebeest. Shot him through both front shoulders and bullet was recovered on off side under the skin. Like all but one of the others, he dropped in his tracks.
Your rifle is plenty for plains game using those Barnes Bullets. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.
9872.jpg

9845.jpg

I am extremely green as it comes to Africa hunting. I've been basically filling my spare time reading books like the "Perfect Shot II: African Game" and watching YouTube videos. Practicing at the range as well. Obviously reading the forum as well. I am going to be bringing a 300WM shooting Barnes TTSX 180gr. Trip will be in another month or so, May 2023.

My definite list: Impala, Blesbok, and Warthog.
My maybe list: Springbuck, Gemsbok, and Wildebeest

I plan on having a convo with the PH and making sure I am in line with my selection and not over my head. However, last night while watching a YouTube video, it made me really re-think even considering a Wildebeest. The woman in the video seemed to be an otherwise great shot. Downed several animals on the spot or a short track later. I don't know what she was shooting. Didn't look like a 375 but it definitely didn't seem sub-30 cal. Well, the 2 Wildebeests she shot:

Blue Wildebeest: Shot, gone, never recovered.
Golden Wildebeest: Shot, bolted, had to be recovered and then dispatched by the PH and another hunter the next day.

This sort of made me re-think even having them on my list of "possibles." I keep hearing over and over they are tough as nails and will give you a hell of a time if you don't hit them right in the boiler room. Additionally, it seems like Gemsbok come close to that reputation as well.

Obviously this is all opportunity driven but I really want to make sure I don't go seeking out something that is going to come with a high level of disappointment and regret when I pull the trigger.
I have a shot two Wildebeest. One blue and one black.

I shot the blue with a 300 Weatherby magnum shooting 180 grain Nosler partition’s.

I shot the black with a 300 Winchester magnum shooting 180 grain sierra game kings

Both dropped where they stood and never moved again, other than a few leg kicks.

They are no tougher to kill than a zebra or a kudu.

Shoot them on the shoulder with a bullet that has some expansion to it, and they never move again.

Personally I like some lead in the front of my bullet. Nosler Partitions, TBBCs, Swift AFrames, Nosler Accubond or Swift Sciroccos… all tremendous bullets for Plains Game. The all copper bullets penetrate a lot, but I don’t believe they transmit as much shock into the animal as a mushroomed piece of lead does.

Last edited:
@HookMeUpII,

I would recommend that you hunt the wildebeest. They are tough, on my second trip to africa, there were not one but two wounded wildebeest on the property. both were the result of poor shooting, one was recovered, the next day by the ph, one was not.

my wildebeest experience was the two animals above were running around still, i had a shot at a cull bull at 60 yards but i could not see enough of the bull to see his vitals due to grass in the way. (i was shooting a 450-400) i sat on the sticks for 10-15 seconds and debated in my head and passed on the shot because i did not want to add a 3rd wounded animal to the "to do" list. my PH looks at me as it runs off and asks, did you want to kiss him or shoot him?

I laughed and told him what i saw and he said, your bullet would go right thru that grass. regardless even tho i got some ribbing from my buddies i felt good about my decision. later that day, i got a clear shot at a bull at 193 yards (same gun) hit him right on the shoulder and he ran 30 yards and piled up (same 450-400). THE DIFFERENCE WAS, i could see what i was shooting and and felt comfortable placing the bullet in the correct spot.

you have plenty of good advice above, enough gun, good bullets and great shot placement will equal a fine trophy.

Took one at 80 yds with a 30-06. It took two steps backwards on the shot and then about 4 steps forward before going down.

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.
I agree.......
Shot placement is EVERYTHING.... I have killed a great many of them with everything from
a 270 win to a 375 H&H.. results are the same.
They aren't called a "poor mans buffalo" for nothing.

Quite the overwhelming vote to go for it, it seems. I suppose maybe I took the video I watched too much for face value. Sounds like as long as I study shot placement, listen to my PH, and continue practicing I'll be good to go.

I'm sort of glad to hear this because I really am pumped at the idea I could be standing over a nice wildebeest and looking at the mount for years to come. I know it's not THAT easy but it doesn't seem like something over my head as long as I prep correctly.

@HookMeUpII,

I would recommend that you hunt the wildebeest. They are tough, on my second trip to africa, there were not one but two wounded wildebeest on the property. both were the result of poor shooting, one was recovered, the next day by the ph, one was not.

my wildebeest experience was the two animals above were running around still, i had a shot at a cull bull at 60 yards but i could not see enough of the bull to see his vitals due to grass in the way. (i was shooting a 450-400) i sat on the sticks for 10-15 seconds and debated in my head and passed on the shot because i did not want to add a 3rd wounded animal to the "to do" list. my PH looks at me as it runs off and asks, did you want to kiss him or shoot him?

I laughed and told him what i saw and he said, your bullet would go right thru that grass. regardless even tho i got some ribbing from my buddies i felt good about my decision. later that day, i got a clear shot at a bull at 193 yards (same gun) hit him right on the shoulder and he ran 30 yards and piled up (same 450-400). THE DIFFERENCE WAS, i could see what i was shooting and and felt comfortable placing the bullet in the correct spot.

you have plenty of good advice above, enough gun, good bullets and great shot placement will equal a fine trophy.
.good choice....you are the one behind the sights and pulling the trigger and paying....not the ph....not sure ....dont shoot....

I've taken a Blue, Golden and Black, all essentially one shot kills, all with a 300 Win Mag, all 180 gr bullets, all at 150 to 200 yards. They're not invincible but they don't give up they're willingness to live easily. If you look hard enough you can find anything you want on YouTube.

.good choice....you are the one behind the sights and pulling the trigger and paying....not the ph....not sure ....dont shoot....
Good point there. One time in Namibia I was up on the sticks waiting for a shot. The PH, with whom I’m quite friendly, was hoarsely whispering in my ear. “shoot, shoot, go on, shoot”
I got quite exasperated and put the rifle up and made it safe and asked.
”who’s pulling the F###ing trigger ? Who’s paying the f###ing bill ? I am so I’ll pay shoot when I’m f###ing ready”.
He conceded the point. That evening over a few he admitted he just got too excited on those occasions.
My choice would be Oryx, Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Warthog and Hartebeest. Oryx/Gemsbok in S.Africa can be quite spendy $1000 and up. Whereas in Namibia you can hunt a trophy Oryx for $450

We’ve killed black wildebeest, blue wildebeest, zebra and kudu with a 7x57 shooting 175 gr swift AFrames. I can’t imagine you’d have any problem with a .300 WM shooting quality bullets and placing your shots well.

I’m with everyone else. You should take a blue wildebeest. They go down like every other African animal with a well placed shot. They are also an impressive trophy.
I know this wasn’t point of your thread, but if you are going to go to Africa you need to add to your definite list. The cost of getting there, tips, and getting your trophies home are essentially fixed costs and are going to exceed the cost of your impala, blesbok, warthog hunt. Might as well save another year and have a full hunt (you could also delay shipping and postpone taxidermy). Unless you’re combining this hunt with touring?

Last edited:
I’m with everyone else. You should take a blue wildebeest. They go down like every other African animal with a well placed shot. They are also an impressive trophy.
I know this wasn’t point of your thread, but if you are going to go to Africa you need to add to your definite list. The cost of getting there, tips, and getting your trophies home are essentially fixed costs and are going to exceed the cost of your impala, blesbok, warthog hunt. Might as well save another year and have a full hunt (you could also delay shipping and postpone taxidermy). Unless you’re combining this hunt with touring?
Very good point, most costs are fixed. That's why I shot 8 animals on my first hunt. It just makes sense to keep shooting while you're in Africa lol

I killed mine with 180 grain Accubond out of a .30-06. He dropped to the shot but the PH had me put an insurance shot in him.

I can't imagine my Africa trip without the wildebeest or the zebra...two African icons. I killed the zebra with one shot of 180 grain Accubond, no insurance shot required.

52226961614_5990648348_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A blue wildebeest is a classic African animal and not very expensive. DO NOT cross it off your list.
I’ve shot two blues, both one shot kills but traveled about 100yds before giving up the ghost. The black I shot went a couple hundred yards and required a follow up shot... Not my best shooting. WB are tough critters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg