Cross wildebeest off the list?

Yes, in the US we are taught "right behind the shoulder".

In Africa, it's "in the shoulder, right in the tip of the big part of the shoulder"
Exactly

I don’t memorize the kill photos of every animal in Africa

I just wait for them to turn and drill them through the shoulder. Never met an animal yet that went very far when drilled through the shoulder in a broadside shot

And I have the patience to wait for a broadside shot

One thing that gets a little tricky in the east cape is that you’re often shooting at animals down in the valley/canyon from above and can’t get a true broadside shot . If I’m shooting down onto the animal, I shoot just above the shoulder so that the bullet is traveling down into the lungs.

Every animal in Africa has lungs and or heart between their shoulders

And I shoot my North American animals in the shoulder also. I don’t care about wasting a little stew meat from the front shoulder…I want to animal down fast…preferably where he stood

Exactly

I don’t memorize the kill photos of every animal in Africa

I just wait for them to turn and drill them through the shoulder. Never met an animal yet that went very far when drilled through the shoulder in a broadside shot

One thing that gets a little tricky in the east cape is that you’re often shooting at animals down in the valley/canyon from above and can’t get a true broadside shot . If I’m shooting down onto the animal, I shoot just above the shoulder so that the bullet is traveling down into the lungs.

Every animal in Africa has lungs and or heart between their shoulders

And I shoot my North American animals in the shoulder also. I don’t care about wasting a little stew meat from the front shoulder…I want to animal down fast…preferably where he stood
That high shoulder shot while damaging some meat is truly deadly. It shatters the shoulder blade which drives it into the spine and has been for me at least instant lights out. I have never had to follow up anything hit that way.

That high shoulder shot while damaging some meat is truly deadly. It shatters the shoulder blade which drives it into the spine and has been for me at least instant lights out. I have never had to follow up anything hit that way.
And sends “shoulder bone shrapnel” into the lungs

Last edited:

I agree. As a first timer, I think there's a few things I want to convey to my PH. First one, I am comfortable at 150 yds or less, preferably around 100. If we can close that distance so be it. If all the shots are beyond that...I may go back empty handed for the day and that's OK. The second, is your point. I would like to wait for broadside. If not, I know enough at this point for a quartering to/slightly frontal. Quartering away or more advanced shots I'll likely tell the PH, ahead of time, I am really going to need some coaching.

Really, really want to be cautious and responsible with my shots.

I didn't see if you said where you will be hunting?

This last June my shots ranged from 30 yards to a little over 350 yards. The longer shots were cross canyons where there was no way to get closer and still see the animal.

On my first safari my longest shot was 479 yards on a kudu. We were on a knoll above all the brush with no way to get closer, that shot was taken off of sticks with me sitting on the ground and just using them to brace my rifle on. Due to circumstances I was set up for the shot for a hour and a half before a second kudu came into the picture and I was able to take him. I also had a 400 yard shot on a springbok with me sitting on a hill above the vast open area where they were feeding through.

Both hunts were in the Eastern Cape just north of Port Elizabeth.

I didn't see if you said where you will be hunting?

This last June my shots ranged from 30 yards to a little over 350 yards. The longer shots were cross canyons where there was no way to get closer and still see the animal.

On my first safari my longest shot was 479 yards on a kudu. We were on a knoll above all the brush with no way to get closer, that shot was taken off of sticks with me sitting on the ground and just using them to brace my rifle on. Due to circumstances I was set up for the shot for a hour and a half before a second kudu came into the picture and I was able to take him. I also had a 400 yard shot on a springbok with me sitting on a hill above the vast open area where they were feeding through.

Both hunts were in the Eastern Cape just north of Port Elizabeth.

To my understanding, it will be Limpopo. I believe, it will be in the region around Lephale. We will be hunting with Kuche Safaris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrederickD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross