Creating my perfect Dangerous Game rifle

I get the excessive recoil thing but every body must have overlooked the part where I said I was going to load jt down to 458 Lott lever plus this rifle is actually heavier than my Lott. I cant imagine a 500gr leaving this gun at 2300 fps will have anymore recoil than a bullet leaving my Lott at 2300fps.
Agreed! There is this prejudice against the 460 Wby but the good thing is that you can buy some excellent rifles for cheap. If you handload to Lott levels it'll recoil about the same with a little difference for the greater powder charge.

I load my Lott at 2150fps and call it good!

Agreed! There is this prejudice against the 460 Wby but the good thing is that you can buy some excellent rifles for cheap. If you handload to Lott levels it'll recoil about the same with a little difference for the greater powder charge.

I load my Lott at 2150fps and call it good!
This would be my question too? I'm the new kid on the block, but the old .470 NE has been stopping bad situations for a very long time. I just looked again & the .470 NE uses a 480gr bullet at about 2150fps. Wouldn't the .460 Weatherby with a 500gr bullet loaded to 2150fps work as well? The pressure should be very low!

That's my thoughts on it. The base load in the hodgdon book that I tried was 108gr of H4350 that was supposed to produce 2371fps with a max of 115gr giving 2500fps. The 108gr load was very manageable and though I have not got to do any "scientific" research on it yet it is minute of beer can in my back yard.

All good plans. Just make sure the stock fits you well. Here's my 23" 460wby. that is sending 500s at 2400+, and capable of more. Waiting on some powder to test out some lighter weights to send them out a ways...

View attachment 412771
Is that a Wby gun (it looks like an A-Square!)

All good plans. Just make sure the stock fits you well. Here's my 23" 460wby. that is sending 500s at 2400+, and capable of more. Waiting on some powder to test out some lighter weights to send them out a ways...

View attachment 412771
Too bad A-Square went belly up. I seriously screwed up back in I believe the mid ‘80’s, I considered buying an A-Square rifle but at the time I thought my chances of ever going to Africa was a negative %.
Their Coil-check stock seemed to be a great design that would help tame recoil well.

Too bad A-Square went belly up. I seriously screwed up back in I believe the mid ‘80’s, I considered buying an A-Square rifle but at the time I thought my chances of ever going to Africa was a negative %.
Their Coil-check stock seemed to be a great design that would help tame recoil well.
@USMA84DAB worked at A-Square towards the end of their production. He is a gunsmith and I believe has a few of their stocks from when they closed the doors. You may still be able to redeem yourself for a forty-year old missed opportunity.

I know a guy who may be selling an A Square 416 Rigby, with coil check stock. Let me know if you are interested I'll see of he still has the rifle. I have seen and held it. The stock wasn't clunky like some say. Shoot me a PM if you like.

The 460 is coming along. I have found 110gr of H4350 with the 500gr bullets is giving me right at 2400fps, but 106gr of Reloader 16 with the same bullets is 2350 with a very low ES and SD and is very accurate. I am running a 1-4 vortex viper at the moment so I can utilize the turrets to test at longer distances. The Magna port/Pendleton deal is not terrible loud. I am liking this rifle more and more. Um still awaiting the final result on the 458 but it doesn't look good. I got it back from the Smith and I sent it back to them. Even if they get it running correctly I think I may go with this 460 anyway. It is kind of growing on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!