Creating my perfect Dangerous Game rifle

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm sure everybody here has read all about the issues with my 458. I did speak with matrix gunsmithing this morning and he is gonna help me out.
However, in the mean time I have come across another project and I think I may like it even better. I have purchased a 460 weatherby in a Mark V rifle. Unfortunately it is Magna ported and does not have Iron sights. My plan is to send it to my usual gunsmith who I spoke with today and have the barrel cut off behind the Magna port which will leave me about 23" of barrel which I feel will make the rifle handier. Also have him thread it so if I wish to run a brake here at home practicing or whatever I can. Also have him install NECG front barrel band ramp sight and a set of rear express sights. I'm going to install Warne steel scope bases so I can use QD rings. I have the original 2-7 weatherby scope with it as well. Might use it might not but I have it. Dial the trigger down to about 3lb and hand load the rounds down to about 2300fps. Basically 458 Lott level but with the ability to run a 350 Barnes bullet at 2800fps for plains game if I wanted to.
I'm open to ideas though. If you had this rifle what would be your ideal set up with it. How would you run it? I know the 460 is not a favorite caliber but I see a lot of potential with this set up and a lot of options too. You can always load a round down but you can only load a round so hot before you run into trouble. I think the 460 gives a lot of options in its ability to go from basically 458 win velocities all the way up to full on ass stomping 2500 FPS rounds.

JMO but if I bought that rifle, I’d run 500 gr at 2350-2450 fps. Yes you can load up and down but what’s the purpose of that rifle if you’re not going to load it to best the Lott.
As far as scope: 1-6x with as much eye relief as possible. As for irons, I’d consider a ghost ring.

I'm sure everybody here has read all about the issues with my 458. I did speak with matrix gunsmithing this morning and he is gonna help me out.
However, in the mean time I have come across another project and I think I may like it even better. I have purchased a 460 weatherby in a Mark V rifle. Unfortunately it is Magna ported and does not have Iron sights. My plan is to send it to my usual gunsmith who I spoke with today and have the barrel cut off behind the Magna port which will leave me about 23" of barrel which I feel will make the rifle handier. Also have him thread it so if I wish to run a brake here at home practicing or whatever I can. Also have him install NECG front barrel band ramp sight and a set of rear express sights. I'm going to install Warne steel scope bases so I can use QD rings. I have the original 2-7 weatherby scope with it as well. Might use it might not but I have it. Dial the trigger down to about 3lb and hand load the rounds down to about 2300fps. Basically 458 Lott level but with the ability to run a 350 Barnes bullet at 2800fps for plains game if I wanted to.
I'm open to ideas though. If you had this rifle what would be your ideal set up with it. How would you run it? I know the 460 is not a favorite caliber but I see a lot of potential with this set up and a lot of options too. You can always load a round down but you can only load a round so hot before you run into trouble. I think the 460 gives a lot of options in its ability to go from basically 458 win velocities all the way up to full on ass stomping 2500 FPS rounds.
Personally I would go with a contemporary look for that rifle. It can be dressed up with classic looking NECG Irons, and even with a restock it will still be a bit of a mutant because the mark V is still just a push feed ATEK rifle. They are well made, and will hit hard. Either way, best of luck with your project!

All good plans. Just make sure the stock fits you well. Here's my 23" 460wby. that is sending 500s at 2400+, and capable of more. Waiting on some powder to test out some lighter weights to send them out a ways...

93641.jpeg

Well , to be very honest ... this combination ( of rifle & caliber ) is unfortunately a very poor choice for dangerous game . You have a high pressure cartridge ( .460 Weatherby Magnum ) in a push feed rifle ( the Mark V ) . In humid places which include A LOT of Africa ( such as the Zambezi valley ) , you’ll more often than not run into extraction problems . I’ve seen it happen myself once in Tanzania . You’re also increasing felt recoil , by cutting off that Magna porting .

Still , I’d say if you loaded your ammunition down to 2350 fps velocity ... Then , you should have a reasonably OKAY combination .

This is a cartridge that van Der Walt in 'African Dangerous Game Cartridges' says is 'adored by those who have hunted with it' (p.371), and Kevin Robertson in 'Africa's Most Dangerous' refers to 'poor shooting characteristics... the new American monstrosity of a cartridge... Few and far between are the sport hunters who can handle this ridiculous cartridge with any degree of confidence. And as for follow-up shot accuracy - well I think I've said enough!'' (p.117); and, 'a story... about a client who took no less than 14 shots at a bull buffalo with his .460 Weatherby Magnum. At the conclusion of it all, the PH joked that his client, who by that stage was haemorrhaging freely from both nostrils and within a few hours had also developed two spectacular black eyes from recoil, looked more beaten up than the buffalo!' (p.96). You pays your money and takes your choice.

Even van der Walt admits excessive recoil and muzzle climb.

Alternatively, you could just beat your head against a brick wall and save yourself the expense of a new rifle, modifying it, and buying the ammunition to go with it!

I get the excessive recoil thing but every body must have overlooked the part where I said I was going to load jt down to 458 Lott lever plus this rifle is actually heavier than my Lott. I cant imagine a 500gr leaving this gun at 2300 fps will have anymore recoil than a bullet leaving my Lott at 2300fps.

Good news is I am also getting my Lott fixed "hopefully" so I'll be able to test them side by side and if I like the Lott that much more I'll run it. I think a lot of the problem with the 460 is guys who have not put in proper practice with it. I have a range 10 min down the road and I can just shoot in my back yard if I want. I will likely have put upwards of 200rds through the gun before time for the actual hunt.

Yes, it's more recoil than the Lott, if you load it up, or can be at the same recoil forces if you load it down. The capabilities to do the wide spectrum are what I like. Though, it is less recoil than some other cartridges fielded by members here.

Like you, I heard all the horror stories until I began shooting a well fit 460Wby. Now, I see those are truly from the muzzle brake, bad fit, or inexperienced shooters/hunters. Some have issues with the Mark V action, but that I cannot speak to.

The only downside I see is the capacity in tge event of a bad situation. The 60 degree bolt throw is fast, the handle sticks out well and is easy to manipulate. The action is STRONG and as long as you aren't running super hot loads I don't forsee any extraction issues. I just need to get me some Iron sights on there. That scout scope set up is really nice!

I rolled up a couple "light loads" for the 460 so I could get a taste of this outrageous recoil and I am not impressed. I loaded a 500gr woodleigh with 108gr of H4350 behind it which is a beginning charge that shows it is making about 2350fps and while the rifle does still have the Magna port in it I'll have to say it was not unpleasant. Less recoil than my 9lb Lott without a brake running around 2250fps. I did not get to do any in-depth testing but with the factory weatherby 2-7 scope I had no problem free hand popping beer cans in the back yard. I think with the removal of the Magna port and addition of some good iron sights this thing is gonna be all right.

My issue with Weatherby rifles is the fit of the stock is not compatible for most people shooting a big bore rifle. If the rifle fits YOU properly, then the hard part is over. If not, make adjustments until it fit correctly.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it being a push feed. With the rounds you plan on sending down range, the reliability of this rig will be revealed soon enough.

Proper practice with your hunting cartridge (or equivalent) is what’s most important.

Congratulations on the new rifle and keep us up to date on what becomes of it.

Will do. The stock seems to fit me oddly well, but I'm an oddly shaped guy. ha ha. At 6'0" and 290lb I'm a very offensive lineman kind of build. You are correct if there is.going to be an issue with the feeding I'll find it because I'm gonna run the piss out of this rifle before I take it into combat.

If I ever hit the lottery, I'm going to contract for a matte finished 100% stainless steel SxS double in .375 H&H with a black composite stock. Articulated front trigger with flip-up iron sights for 50, 100 and 150 yards and removable scope mounts...regulated to 75 yards. I do have a soft spot for stainless and walnut so I'm planning on getting a second stock made at the same time. It'll be an oil-finished French walnut. I'll, of course, stick with the black composite stock when in the Alaskan Alders and switch to the walnut stock when hunting in the dry winter bushveld....

BTW - I really don't know what I'm talking about and I'm not very smart but I'd like to, at least once in my life, have more money than brains... :)

Recoil is so subjective. I've spoken with many deer hunters here in Missouri that swear a 30-06 kicks hard! I have shot a 460 once (precisely once) and admit that its recoil is beyond my ability to control. That said, I know there are a lot of guys who can...so have at it. The Kimber Caprivi I have in 458 Lott is right up there at the top of what I think I can make use of.

I suspect if I ran it up to its full potential it would be unpleasant. Running at 458 lott level around 2300fps its is very tolerable but no doubt you need to be on top of your game and be paying attention to what you're doing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!