Crayfish

Dr Ray

AH legend
Joined
Apr 1, 2017
Messages
4,298
Reaction score
6,534
Location
Cairns, Australia
Media
53
Articles
5
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
7
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
Caught in Torres Straits far north eastern Australia

IMG_2779.JPG
 
What is the average weight of these lobsters in the area? What is the weight of this one?
Its a beast!
 
I could not tell you but that’s a monster
I would think it would not taste as nice as a much a a much smaller one
 
Significantly larger than what we call "crayfish" here in Orygun, USA.... Even them rednecked bastages in NOLA would have a hard time comparing:cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

What a haul!! Order extra butter. And more garlic.
 
Dr Ray,
The biggest one I have ever caught in my area of similar species (Palinurus elephas) was 3.25 kg, and the sources say it can grow 5 to 7 kg, depending of souce. It also known as spinny lobster, mediteranean lobster

We have also separate species, european lobster (Homarus gammarus), the biggest on I ever caught was 2.2 kg, and sources quote it can grow up to 9-12 kg. (the biggest one I ever saw was cca 5 kg, caught by my neigbour)

The one in your photo is godzila size!!!!

Later edit
On the photo my son is holding european lobster Homarus gammarus, tha we caught last summer. 1.9 kg.
lobster1.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Unbelievable!
 
Huge.... I'll bet your right that the smaller ones taste better. That does look yummy tho......
Bruce
 
Was messing around looking at lobster stuff .... :E Shrug:

How big do lobsters grow and how long does it take for them to grow?
The largest lobsters that we know of or have seen have weighed 35 to 40 pounds. It takes lobsters an average of 5 to 7 years (depending on the water temperature) to grow to legal size, and they grow more slowly as they get larger. Therefore a lobster that weighs 3 pounds is an estimated 15-20 years old, and a 25 pound lobster would be approximately 75-100 years old.
 
No wimpish Crays in Australian waters ![emoji4]
 
I had a 5.5 lb one in Port Elizabeth and it was very tasty. Almost satisfied my craving for lobster.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,356
Messages
1,574,054
Members
169,891
Latest member
KrystalTre
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top