Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
Caught in Torres Straits far north eastern Australia

IMG_2779.JPG

What is the average weight of these lobsters in the area? What is the weight of this one?
Its a beast!

I could not tell you but that’s a monster
I would think it would not taste as nice as a much a a much smaller one

Significantly larger than what we call "crayfish" here in Orygun, USA.... Even them rednecked bastages in NOLA would have a hard time comparing:cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

What a haul!! Order extra butter. And more garlic.

Dr Ray,
The biggest one I have ever caught in my area of similar species (Palinurus elephas) was 3.25 kg, and the sources say it can grow 5 to 7 kg, depending of souce. It also known as spinny lobster, mediteranean lobster

We have also separate species, european lobster (Homarus gammarus), the biggest on I ever caught was 2.2 kg, and sources quote it can grow up to 9-12 kg. (the biggest one I ever saw was cca 5 kg, caught by my neigbour)

The one in your photo is godzila size!!!!

Later edit
On the photo my son is holding european lobster Homarus gammarus, tha we caught last summer. 1.9 kg.
lobster1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Unbelievable!

Huge.... I'll bet your right that the smaller ones taste better. That does look yummy tho......
Bruce

Was messing around looking at lobster stuff .... :E Shrug:

How big do lobsters grow and how long does it take for them to grow?
The largest lobsters that we know of or have seen have weighed 35 to 40 pounds. It takes lobsters an average of 5 to 7 years (depending on the water temperature) to grow to legal size, and they grow more slowly as they get larger. Therefore a lobster that weighs 3 pounds is an estimated 15-20 years old, and a 25 pound lobster would be approximately 75-100 years old.

No wimpish Crays in Australian waters !

I had a 5.5 lb one in Port Elizabeth and it was very tasty. Almost satisfied my craving for lobster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg