AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, Germany, Austria
Good morning.

I am considering a pair of Courteney Selous boots from Westley Richards. I understand it comes in UK size for length. I usually wear 10.5 ~ 11 D in US size, depending on the make so I figure I will order 10 UK per WR size conversion table. WR website states "wide feet at toe", however, it doesn't specify how wide is "wide", specifically for size 10 UK size boots. I inquired about the width to both Courteney and Westley Richards but I have not heard back from them yet.

What have been your experiences with Courteney boot fit, width wise at toe box?

Regards,

Last edited:

African Sporting Creations

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
africansportingcreations.com
Media
Member of
DSC, SCI
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
This is jim from African Sporting Creations. We stock both wide and regular width Courteney boots. It sounds like you would need the regular width boots and we stock 4 different styles and our site is www.africansc.com. If you are unsure of size we can send 2 sizes and you would simply return the extra pair.

Tango

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, Czech Republic
Buy through ASC. If it's your first pair, you'll inevitably want to try a few different sizes for comparison. It took me a couple tries to get it right, but ASC was super easy to work with on the shipping and return process. Buy some shooting sticks too if you don't already own them. They'll take care of you.

Quest#1

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Jim has been great to work with in the past. Honest and fair!

buck wild

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo; Mexico; Texas
My "wide" were wide for sure. Even American size EE can be snug for me, but my Courtney's were almost on the verge of being too wide.

Tango

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, Czech Republic
I agree on the width, the great part is that extra width allows for a high quality insole to be used. I use SuperFeet which have additional arch support making these even more comfortable for long hikes etc.

Mark Biggerstaff

Silver supporter
Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Go with ASC. Jim will work with you to make sure you have the right fit. I love my Courtney’s. I now have 6 pair from ASC.

YancyW

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
Jim helped me out when I bought my first pair. I don't love Courtney's many do, but he went out of his way to get me in the best fitting pair.

Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
+5 on working with Jim. I bought two pairs from him and they were great to deal with. It was really helpful to try on more than one pair. And you may need to sneak in a knife to that order!

yhc

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, Germany, Austria
Thank you all for your feedback.

Regards,

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
I believe i have a wide foot. I found my first pair snug and the second pair generous in fit.
They are handmade and great if you have the right fit.
If you can deal with Jim that would be worth a shot there are nothing but good reports on his business here. Well it's in the wrong country but they all commend the customer service and no doubt another member will chime in with good feedback

I have been in contact direct previously and they advised they can do a bigger (higher) toe box on a different shoe last (form).

I have a pair ordered direct but they are grounded due to freight.

I'm hoping that is sorted one day as they were made to my requirements.

The pair I said were generous in fit were the ordered same size as my first but they were a better fit for my son so, I hope that oneday the 3rd pair can be shipped.

shootist~

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico
Classic case of "Don't overthink it". (amhik).
If you normally wear a D, the regular width is the way to go.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
They run wide.

yhc

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, Germany, Austria
Thanks again for your feedback.

The following is an email response I received from The Courteney Boot Company:

“The EE boot is the boot that made us famous. It has a generous toe box for maximum comfort. The narrow D is for feet that are definitely narrow, and we use the same last for ladies.”

And Westley Richards also responded as well. Their showroom manager provided a link to the Courteney website showing info re: actual measurement differences in each 1/2 size.

“Half sizes: Although many, if not most, footwear manufacturers only give you the extra half size in the joint measurement (girth) in order to save on mould costs, Courteney half sizes are genuine – our lasts increase by 1/4” in girth and 1/6” in length between each full and half size.”

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
I wonder in what universe "D" is narrow. If I wear D width shoes, I might just as well be wearing flip flops or sandals

yhc

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, Germany, Austria
I wonder in what universe "D" is narrow. If I wear D width shoes, I might just as well be wearing flip flops or sandals
sgt_zim, I think it was meant to be relatively narrower than their wide shoes.

Both Courteney and WR were kind enough to take their time to respond to my inquiry. I posted their responses here as references since they were helpful for me.

Regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmmanuelO8

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.